News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ActRaiser without village building?  (Read 1503 times)

Mechatiger891

• View Profile
ActRaiser without village building?
« on: March 05, 2021, 02:39:51 pm »
Does there appear to be a hack of ActRaiser (the sequel doesn’t have it, so I thought a no village sim version of this game needs to exist) that completely removes the city building aspect of it? I want all action and no city buildings. That will be for those who dislike city building games such as myself because I find them monotonous and I get bored rather quickly of those games.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: ActRaiser without village building?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 01:12:25 am »
Unlikely as there would probably need to be a significant amount of change to the game to deal with the resulting balance issues.

(TBH ActRaiser's sim element is incredibly simplistic and pretty much follows the same pattern with little variation. It's fast enough when you know the routine to progress the game, I'd almost say it's hard to get bored THAT quickly.)

What am I saying... there IS a version without the sim element.
It's the arcade (Nintendo Super System) version. Or its approximate console port, the "Action Mode" exclusive to the PAL versions of the game (the downsize is that, like the other Quintet SNES games, the PAL versions had only the music adjusted).
Maybe an SNES emulator that supports the NSS version would be the best route? MAME's NSS emulation is wildly different between different games in the last version I played. (Addams Family played seemingly correct, but ActRaiser turned Yuzo Koshiro's fine work into fart noises until it farted itself into crashing :( And some other games wouldn't even load at all.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 01:36:15 am »
Actually there is also the mobile version of ActRaiser (Java) from 2006/2007 had all the simulation elements removed.
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

DragonAtma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 04:25:58 am »
The sim mode is what prevented Actraiser from just being another platformer; if they included it in Actraiser 2 it probably would have sold better.

In the meantime, you can always try Professional mode.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 05:31:21 am »
Does there appear to be a hack of ActRaiser (the sequel doesn’t have it, so I thought a no village sim version of this game needs to exist) that completely removes the city building aspect of it? I want all action and no city buildings. That will be for those who dislike city building games such as myself because I find them monotonous and I get bored rather quickly of those games.
You do not need a hack for ActRaiser. There is a widely available Arcade version which you can use in SNES emulators or flash carts, resembling the Professional Mode. Not sure if it retains the new enemy attacks from the SNES USA version.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 07:22:00 am »
You do not need a hack for ActRaiser. There is a widely available Arcade version which you can use in SNES emulators or flash carts, resembling the Professional Mode. Not sure if it retains the new enemy attacks from the SNES USA version.

Yep, the "Nintendo Super System" version is pretty much what OP is looking for.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 01:35:56 pm »
The sim mode is what prevented Actraiser from just being another platformer; if they included it in Actraiser 2 it probably would have sold better.

In the meantime, you can always try Professional mode.

Professional requires a completed save file, though.
The NSS or the PAL version "Action Mode" does not.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 11:58:55 am »
An Actraiser 2 hack WITH village building... now THAT would be something!  :thumbsup: :laugh:

Dragoonglue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 12:42:52 pm »
the downsize is that, like the other Quintet SNES games, the PAL versions had only the music adjusted
There is a patch that changes the game's region to NTSC and readjusts the music speed. It can be downloaded here.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 01:38:26 pm »
A hack that enables professional mode from the start seems like the easiest thing to do, or play the arcade version of the rom as mentioned