News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: GBA Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle Japan to USA Port  (Read 21148 times)

sorrow

• View Profile
Re: GBA Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle Japan to USA Port
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 12:56:53 pm »
Man, things are getting better! Excellent this update for Maxim!
Is there any planning to create a story mode version for Maxim?

Would it be possible to bring Justex's idle animation to Juste? (maybe Justex's color palette too)
I like Justex, his animation, and everything. I always imagined what it would be like to have a story mode, but what drives me crazy in the Justex gameplay mode, is its speed, in fact the knock back that he suffers when he receives damage makes the game quite frustrating. Would it be possible to adjust this? or at least slow it down?

Hello verme, yes and no for a Maxim story mode.  While it would not be possible to create a story mode for Maxim when you load his character, it IS possible to switch Juste and Maxim, so that Juste loads in to the extra mode, and Maxim loads in to story mode (though extra refinements have to be made to allow proper progress for Maxim in the castle, as he can’t use certain abilities).

Having said that, keep an eye out for a separate patch to a vanilla HoD rom for a Maxim Story mode, 😉.  I’ve been collaborating on one with caminopreacher.

Oh, and regarding JUSTEX, yes those changes are possible, but it was the original hackers’ intent to have JUSTEX behave in that manner as far as speed, the animations, knock back, etc to differentiate him from Regular Juste and have a different gameplay experience, so I won’t be making Juste more like JUSTEX unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:16:38 pm by sorrow »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2021, 07:06:14 pm »
Hello everyone!  A few new things...I plan on having an update soon, but wanted to share some of the new stuff.

Everything so far that has been implemented as far as restoring some frames to Player Maxim:

Restored Jump Frame from Boss Maxim (hard to see in motion, thus the screenshot):

Maxim Sacred Fist Frames:

Some new SIMONX Fixes and other Stuff:

New Straight Down Kick Frame:

New Slide Frame:

New Diagonal Kick Frame:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2021, 07:54:39 pm »
this game will be very good :thumbsup:

G061

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2021, 12:34:40 am »
Fantastic! Really appreciating your work, this will be the definitive way to play HoD for me.

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2021, 03:35:56 am »
I wonder if it's possible to replace Simon by tile replacement to something like this one:

Same goes for Mega Man. Are they scaled in game or already prescaled tiles?

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2021, 11:38:43 am »
Doing just a sprite tile replacement with something like Tilemolester or DSVEDIT wouldn’t work for Simon or Megaman, because the sprites are different dimensions.

It can be done however, just with a more involved process.  It would need to have hitbox dimensions changed to reflect a new sprite, add additional frames, etc. like I’m doing with the added Maxim/Simon Sprites. 

Not difficult, but more steps to do and all.

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2021, 08:37:08 pm »
Hello All!  It's been a while since my last update.

I'm finalizing everything together for a BIG update, and I would like to clean up the Original Post in the thread when I get a chance, but I AT LEAST wanted to at least share a preview of what's coming...

Restored restored the "Blue Flame" effect for Maxim Jump Kicks:

Gave SIMONX the Dash Ability:

Fixed Simon and SIMONX Whip Colors:

Hey MathUser2929, I was able to do PART of what you suggested!

Megaman's shot goes further across the screen:

Maxim and the Other Extra Characters now have proper looking Blood when they die:

And finally (Arguably the MOST exciting fix that was discovered)...

Maxim can now use Spells in his mode! (You MUST first get a Spellbook, and after, press DOWN+L+R to activate the Spellbook)

AND so can the Extra Characters! (Same rule applies here, you MUST first get a Spellbook, and after, press DOWN+L+R to activate the Spellbook)

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 09:36:11 pm by sorrow »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2021, 08:41:19 pm »
So, it' looks good. Did you get the slide for simon working?

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2021, 08:45:26 pm »
So, it' looks good. Did you get the slide for simon working?

Oh, it's a few posts up actually, I put a GIF and some Screenshots of SIMONX with New Jump Kick Frames and Slide.  And the Hitbox situation has been fixed as well.   :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2021, 09:51:04 pm »
I didnt see a slide move, just a dash move. I think I saw that you can swap between the 2 simons. That was a good idea. For fun you can see how far you can get as classic simon.

Oh, I saw that the slide is a single screen shot. Looks good.

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2021, 10:43:48 pm »
Yes, in that post with the single screen shot, above the other screenshots of the Jump Kick is an animated GIF showing New Jump Kick and Slide in action, lol.

That is one of the things I still have to do, I forgot actually until you mentioned it, is adjust the jump height for Regular Simon, so that he can actually make it to the Marble Corridor Section, lol.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2021, 11:22:39 pm »
Glad to see updates! Did the wrong player defence parameter in Boss Rush mode have been dealt with?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2021, 11:35:02 pm »
Glad to see updates! Did the wrong player defence parameter in Boss Rush mode have been dealt with?

Hey Aceearly!  I’m not sure what you mean for the boss rush mode?

Can you explain more?

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2021, 11:38:25 pm »
Hey Aceearly!  I’m not sure what you mean for the boss rush mode?

Can you explain more?
In the Boss Rush mode of Revenge of the Findesiecle, for some wrong reason Juste and Maxim has much less defence than in the Boss Rush mode of original HoD. Original Simon is not affected.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2021, 12:00:35 am »
Interesting, I wonder if it’s tied to the starting level of Maxim in his mode.  He went from Level 40 to level 1 for his campaign.  Maybe Juste in boss mode matches that too?

Unfortunately that’s something I don’t know how to manipulate. 

Though I did find the location that affect Regular Simon start level and Julius (originally Maxim) start level, but they only affect those two characters and not the rest of the characters.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2021, 08:58:17 am »
I think Simon classic should stick to how he's supposed to be. You can switch to powerful Simon to progress. A test of skills or something.

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2021, 09:05:56 am »
I think Simon classic should stick to how he's supposed to be. You can switch to powerful Simon to progress. A test of skills or something.

Switching from regular Simon to Enhanced Simon would require separate save files though
Bottom Text

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2021, 10:04:34 am »
Interesting, I wonder if it’s tied to the starting level of Maxim in his mode.  He went from Level 40 to level 1 for his campaign.  Maybe Juste in boss mode matches that too?

Unfortunately that’s something I don’t know how to manipulate. 

Though I did find the location that affect Regular Simon start level and Julius (originally Maxim) start level, but they only affect those two characters and not the rest of the characters.

I have a headcanon now. Today I tried a bit of boss rush in the beta version of Revenge of the Findesiecle Japan which I mentioned earlier, and the defence of Juste/Maxim in boss rush were not in the incorrect state, so the player defence parameter thing could be tied to Maxim's start level pretty much as you said, and instead of tweaking player side parameters I think it's possibly easier to just tweak attack power of bosses in boss rush mode only, without affecting attack power of main campaign mode bosses. That would, well, stay true unless they have some weird things hardcoded for boss rush mode or the bosses themselves when they were tossed in boss rush mode arena. Attack power and HP of bosses are using different values in boss rush, but I'm not sure if they're hardcoded in system level when the boss rush arena is loaded, or tweakable.

This is solely based on my guessing, long term experience of Castlevania franchise and my sensitive eyes. Actual reprogramming/reverse engineering stuff is out of my reach lol
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:30:28 am by Aceearly1993 »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2021, 11:32:17 am »

Yeah, Simon classic would stay the same overall, the ONLY change he would get, is to have his jump be just a few pixels higher so that he can jump on the platform needed to leave the Entrance area and progress to Marble Corridor. 

How far someone can get after that?  Who knows, lol. Because he will not be able to gain abilities like everyone else.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 06:05:09 am »
Hello! How's the progress going now?