News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GBA Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle Japan to USA Port  (Read 5886 times)

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
Re: GBA Castlevania HOD: Revenge of the Findesiecle Japan to USA Port
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 07:49:18 am »
Glad to hear some great news bro!! You're our hero!!!

And again, if you’re interested in a menu loading for a character the only way I know how to make it work, is to replace Juste in story mode with one of the other characters, but again, they would replace Juste completely, but load an equipment menu and if I get a chance, at least replace the portrait.

That’s just bonus stuff I was thinking about trying to add as optional add ons.

I have a headcanon now. As Julius has his own equipment menu in the original Revenge of the Findesiecle, what would happen if you try to implement the Julius equipment menu to other extra characters instead of Juste equipment menu and apply to, say, Simon X, Maxim, Mega Man, and other crew?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 10:09:11 am »
Glad to hear some great news bro!! You're our hero!!!

I have a headcanon now. As Julius has his own equipment menu in the original Revenge of the Findesiecle, what would happen if you try to implement the Julius equipment menu to other extra characters instead of Juste equipment menu and apply to, say, Simon X, Maxim, Mega Man, and other crew?

Hey Aceearly1993, I believe I’ve mentioned before already I do not know how to do that.  I would love that functionality though, but I don’t know how to go about making it happen. 

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 07:22:09 pm »
Hey Aceearly1993, I believe I’ve mentioned before already I do not know how to do that.  I would love that functionality though, but I don’t know how to go about making it happen.
Oh that's unfortunate... Well anyway, hope the conversion and optional patches work out. Keep your great job hero!!!!
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 08:53:03 pm »
Hello! It seems that your USA port has been released, congrats!
*I've found some text error in the BGM test (Sound Mode)
Description of BGM 03 and BGM30 are glitched.

https://i.imgur.com/5m3PCwo.png

*The music track in Skeleton Cave and Aqueduct of Dragons are reversed in your USA port, it's clearly not intended in JPN version
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 09:42:21 pm by Aceearly1993 »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 10:03:44 pm »
Yeah I had noticed the text in the sound mode, I think I may have figured it out and I’ll make sure to post an update.

Regarding the music, I’ll take a look at that, it could’ve been a little mistake that should be an easy fix as well.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 10:10:23 pm »
In JPN Revenge of the Findesiecle the statues were given another name and presentation in the furniture room, In the USA port they're empty slot on furniture name and somehow glitched in description.

https://i.imgur.com/gnlyiZI.png

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 10:14:04 pm »
What do you mean by a different presentation and the empty slot?  Can you explain a little more?

Yeah the name change I wouldn’t know because I couldn’t read the Japanese version   ;)

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 10:50:13 pm »

From upper to lower, they are named Dracula's Statue, Alucard's Statue, Richter's Statue, Alucard's figure, Richter's figure.  Circle icon and star icon are used in the names in order to divide if it's Statue or figure, but I think the original author's strange choice could be removed in the USA port.
Descriptions of Statues are "Dracula's Statue", "Alucard's Statue", and "Richter's Statue" respectively.
Descriptions of Alucard's figure and Richter's figure are "Alucard's figure. Effects are unknown." and "Richter's figure. Effects are unknown."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:56:58 pm by Aceearly1993 »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 10:56:45 pm »
I see, can you show pics of what item goes with what name? 

And how about the empty slot you were referring to, what did you mean by that?

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 11:04:26 pm »

And how about the empty slot you were referring to, what did you mean by that?

I mean the name of these Statue/figure are missing in the USA port, shown as empty slots in the furniture collection section in the pause menu
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:13:00 pm by Aceearly1993 »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2021, 12:46:51 am »
Hello All, just edited the original post with the fixes for the few issues Aceearly1993 helped to point out.

JimmyPratt

• weeb, emo, retro game collector. hmu.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2021, 09:42:17 am »
doesnt seem to work on visual boy, what emulator do you recommend?

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 12:03:18 pm »
doesnt seem to work on visual boy, what emulator do you recommend?

Not sure why it won’t work for you on Visualboy.

I used standalone mGBA, VBA-M, no$gba, as well as retroarch mGBA and retroarch VBA-M for my testing.

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 03:41:37 am »
Normally I don't like to bother people with personal stuff, but this hack deserves it. Someone has tested compatibility with Devilart's 'Aesthetic Animation' hack?

I've tried it bundled with N.Dpendent's 'Definitive Edition' but it messes the palettes depending on patching order. That's why I tried to bundle it with Aesthetic Animation hack. Different patching order results in different roms, but I couldn't see any visual difference between them on the surface.

I know it's very particular stuff, but someone has tested it or could tell me which is the best patching order for that bundle?

Sorrow, have you thought about the possibility of implementing it to your main patch or testing their compatibility??

Anyway, congrats and thanks for the large amount of work put into this, Sorrow :D

P.S.: It seems that these are good times for Juste Belmont ;D  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5858/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:47:36 am by Pethronos »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 05:39:53 am »
Normally I don't like to bother people with personal stuff, but this hack deserves it. Someone has tested compatibility with Devilart's 'Aesthetic Animation' hack?

I've tried it bundled with N.Dpendent's 'Definitive Edition' but it messes the palettes depending on patching order. That's why I tried to bundle it with Aesthetic Animation hack. Different patching order results in different roms, but I couldn't see any visual difference between them on the surface.

I know it's very particular stuff, but someone has tested it or could tell me which is the best patching order for that bundle?

Sorrow, have you thought about the possibility of implementing it to your main patch or testing their compatibility??

Anyway, congrats and thanks for the large amount of work put into this, Sorrow :D

P.S.: It seems that these are good times for Juste Belmont ;D  http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5858/
Hello Pethronos!

Good times for Juste indeed, lol.

I personally am not a fan of the Definitive Edition patch, as it seems to just combine random hacks together.

As for the asthetic animation patch, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.  If I remember right, that patch only affects a couple of Juste’s sprite sheets and palette. 

What order did you do the patches?

Also, have you tried taking screen shots or making gifs of each patch, like before and after for comparison?

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 06:12:12 am »
Hi Sorrow, thanks for your rapid reply. Like I said, I tried both patching orders. I have to test it more carefully but I hadn't noticed any difference at first glance (Two VBA windows)

I had combined those patches before definitive edition came out, I like Pemburu's palettes.

Well, ok, I'll test later. Maybe I'll find something.

Thanks Sorrow!!

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 04:03:31 am »
Greetings Everyone!

Thought I would share some new revelations/discoveries in the world of the USA Findesiecle Port.

I figured out (via HxD Hex Editor along with DSVEdit) how to add additional frames of animations along with extra GFX pages to player characters.

I used Maxim as a test run and gave him the Boss Maxim's Idle Stance and Boss Maxim's Running Animations...

Stock Vanilla Maxim:

Enhanced Maxim with Boss Maxim Animations:

I have also possibly figured out how the hitboxes for attacks work, and with these new discoveries, it's entirely possible that I made be able to fix the SIMONX character's jump kick attacks as well as add new sprites for the Slide attack as well.   :thumbsup:

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2021, 04:52:30 am »
Splendid! Loving your USA port project so far. Have you figured out how the Maxim's supers work? In fact I remembered, in the past I have gathered several alternate sets of JPN Revenge of the Findesiecle ROM from somewhere (modified by unknown Chinese authors), in which Maxim has two super moves (but uses Julius' Hydro Storm and Grand Cross instead of Maxim's original supers) but I cannot share here because I don't want to violet against general forum rules, but maybe they could help you a bit to make Maxim possible to regain his orginal supers, if you need them reply and PM me, then I'll PM you back soon.

Speaking of Simon, I don't know if there's possibility to modify Original Simon's jump height in order to make Original Simon's campaign possible to beat. Such alternate set I mentioned just eliminate Original Simon's campaign altogether to avoid this problem, but it was an unpopular decision in my view.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:02:32 am by Aceearly1993 »

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2021, 04:57:26 am »
I forgot to mention I’ve also been working on this little guy, using Juste as a base (don’t worry I don’t plan on removing Juste.  Cant say the same for Mario and Megaman though, lol).

John Morris Test: