News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Legend of the Crystals - v2.1 Update - With Trailer Video  (Read 2396 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Legend of the Crystals - v2.1 Update - With Trailer Video
« on: February 27, 2021, 05:58:30 am »

I've decided that I don't like computers much after all. That's only a side note to mine and vivify93's recent pet project, that being a major update to Legend of the Crystals. I was unaware of Final Fantasy 5e Text Editor up until viv brought it to my attention, and I kind of went into a trance and just blasted through the whole thing while he was sort of hanging on to the back of the roller coaster car. Seriously though, we netplayed and tested changes, and had discussions of some length on workshopping many lines, so this is a co-write.

I am aware of and enjoy the GBA Script Port, and the GBA Version itself... but it can be a little...

Verbose.

I've submitted it to the site for approval, and I await the King's English on it.

Here's a preview video I made... And yes that is me, doing the music too... What's in a name, though, eh?
| | | | |
v v v v v
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdA3wQ3gJYo

Good day and have a pleasant tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:16:09 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Special

• View Profile
Re: Legend of the Crystals - v2.0 Update
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 07:59:17 am »
So what was actually changed? Your changelog doesn't detail anything really... and I actually like your 1.1 version as is.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 08:02:19 am »
So what was actually changed? Your changelog doesn't detail anything really... and I actually like your 1.1 version as is.

What it says in the Work Log (Notice that I didn't call it a changelog) is:
Script was updated.
Location Names were updated.
Monster Names were updated.
Short/Long Item Names were updated.
Icons were added to the font: Summon Orb and Coins (for the shops)
Battle Dialogs were updated.

Frankly it was so much text that I updated that I don't think it will be possible to give a through changelog. Just about everything got some kind of update. Think of it this way: before I was just working with WindHex, where I was limited to the number of characters that the game allowed to be in a text box, based on the original version. The Text Editor allowed me alter the text much more thoroughly.

There are also several other patches included:

"Dash PlayStation" - Inu
"Multiplayer Sound Effect" - Inu
"Quick Death" - LeetSketcher
"Sprite Touch-ups" - Chicken Knife
"Ginger Battle Galuf" - J121

More stylistic stuff, really.

If you liked the previous version, this is that, times 20.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:12:56 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 08:13:02 am »
Ah, well it sounds like too much has changed then, I probably won't bother updating from 1.1 if it's more then just typo fixes here and there. And since this site doesn't keep a history of old patches, there's really no going back either if I don't like it. (I know I can keep both, but I don't really want to keep 2 versions of the same hack, so I'll just wait for review's/impressions first.)

Also damn your fast...

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:15:05 am »
Ah, well it sounds like too much has changed then, I probably won't bother updating from 1.1 if it's more then just typo fixes here and there. And since this site doesn't keep a history of old patches, there's really no going back either if I don't like it. (I know I can keep both, but I don't really want to keep 2 versions of the same hack, so I'll just wait for review's/impressions first.)

Also damn your fast...

You could keep the copy that's up now, you know, or I can give you the old copy, if you want it. But by all means, this is just something I did so I wouldn't be bored. It's neither here nor there to me if you wanna take the dive, that's on you. Feel free either way.

I'm nuts, yeah I know. It's a legitimate problem.

And as for "a couple typo fixes"

I worked for 30 days straight. I mean I didn't sleep, man. Much of the script has been significantly rewritten, everything from things that were jankily worded, to a couple of lines I actually had to try to translate myself using a Kana/Kanji Online Keyboard and Google Translate (as well as my trusty Japanese-to-English Dictionary), to game instructions being off, all the name changes for monsters/items/etc being reflected in the dialogues, it's across-the-board. (I also now know what is meant by "search by stroke" on the Kanji directory I use).

Game instructional narration is now also always centered. Further, the format of text boxes has been unified across dialogues.

Name:__This is my dialog.  It goes
__all the way to the edge of the box,
__then indents two spaces on the other
__three lines.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:24:42 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 08:22:14 am »
I know, I like the RPGe's translation, and like that you only did some touching-up to that one, but this goes a little more then touching-ups IMO, so I'll just stick with 1.1 for now, I don't have time right now or anytime soon to play this, let alone both to compare them to see which one I prefer. Also get some SLEEP!!!!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:04 am »
I know, I like the RPGe's translation, and like that you only did some touching-up to that one, but this goes a little more then touching-ups IMO, so I'll just stick with 1.1 for now, I don't have time right now or anytime soon to play this, let alone both to compare them to see which one I prefer. Also get some SLEEP!!!!

They really ought to start manufacturing more of that stuff, it's in short supply everywhere these days.
Yamero~~!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:01 am »
You think I don't know that!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:06:44 am »
Additionally, if anyone has any bugs to report, I'm the guy. Hiyo!

Edit: Submission Approved.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:12:53 am by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 11:34:17 am »

I've decided that I don't like computers much after all. That's only a side note to mine and vivify93's recent pet project, that being a major update to Legend of the Crystals. I was unaware of Final Fantasy 5e Text Editor up until viv brought it to my attention, and I kind of went into a trance and just blasted through the whole thing while he was sort of hanging on to the back of the roller coaster car. Seriously though, we netplayed and tested changes, and had discussions of some length on workshopping many lines, so this is a co-write.

I am aware of and enjoy the GBA Script Port, and the GBA Version itself... but it can be a little...

Verbose.

I've submitted it to the site for approval, and I await the King's English on it.

Here's a preview video I made... And yes that is me, doing the music too... What's in a name, though, eh?
| | | | |
v v v v v
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdA3wQ3gJYo

And uh here's the patch if you're so inclined: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajgirhtnpwvvimj/LOTC.zip?dl=0

Good day and have a pleasant tomorrow.

Nice! I'm going to have to give this a spin when next I get a chance. I'm probably just as nostalgic to the old RPGe translation too. I also loved the passion you had put into this project upon its first release.

Was there anything specific you chose for spell, item, and monster names? Is it modern names or the old classic (Fire 2 vs Fira)?

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 11:39:32 am »
Generally we tried to stick with modern names except where there just plumb wasn't space, so the spell lines are still Spell/Spell2/Spell3. I've never found excessive squish tile use to be aesthetically pleasing and I think Spoons agrees. This is meant as more of a tribute to RPGe's translation than FFV itself, so we didn't want to rigidly stick to modern name conventions.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 01:10:36 pm »
I've never found excessive squish tile use to be aesthetically pleasing and I think Spoons agrees.

I didn't until you pointed it out and then I couldn't unsee it. Yeah as far as I'm concerned if you have to make one letter smaller in order to fit the whole word in, you may as well make them all smaller. Squished letters hurt readability for me.*

So, yeah, whatever would fit best with the amount of space available without any horizontally "squished" letters, was what we went with.

*It should be noted that I can't see this line zoomed 100% in Firefox from 5 feet away, without my glasses on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 07:52:59 pm by Spooniest »
Yamero~~!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 07:12:19 pm »
I didn't until you pointed it out and then I couldn't unsee it. Yeah as far as I'm concerned if you have to make one letter smaller in order to fit the whole word in, you may as well make them all smaller. Squished letters hurt readability for me.

So, yeah, whatever would fit best with the amount of space available without any horizontally "squished" letters, was what we went with.

That's cool. I kind of figured it was done that way. Cool trailer by the way too. I'm eager to see the changes you've made overall.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 07:22:26 pm »
I think the only major issue right now is the ending poem has a problem where the lines glitch out. I suspect this is the fault of RPGe's old hacking, but I don't know how to fix it.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 07:49:48 pm »
I think the only major issue right now is the ending poem has a problem where the lines glitch out. I suspect this is the fault of RPGe's old hacking, but I don't know how to fix it.

How it appears is that the Poem scrolls in from the bottom and is supposed to fade in color before disappearing at the top of the scene of a star field flying toward the POV.

What happens that looks glitchy, is that the text, after scrolling off the top of the screen, then reappears an irregular interval of time later at the bottom of the screen, before fading out and disappearing.

Since the poem is being read top to bottom, your eye gets drawn the the bottom, but it's stuff you've already read.
Yamero~~!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
I like this.  It feels as polished as the GBA version but not as overdone.

This is a longshot because it probably won't work, but has anyone tried this version with Void Divergence?  I remember reading that it uses the original translation.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 08:23:38 pm »
I like this.  It feels as polished as the GBA version but not as overdone.

This is a longshot because it probably won't work, but has anyone tried this version with Void Divergence?  I remember reading that it uses the original translation.

I've not heard that anyone has, myself. I would recommend against it, though... Last time I tried something like that it just broke the rom file.
Yamero~~!

Greyfield

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2021, 09:00:20 pm »
Thanks for updating this, Spooniest and Vivify! :)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2021, 11:04:17 pm »
You could always use Advanced Patch Conflict Finder to check if they're compatible, if you'd wanted.

In other news, boy is my brain tired!

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:09 pm »
In other news, boy is my brain tired!