News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SNES] Need help with ASM for Captain Tsubasa IV  (Read 2020 times)

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
[SNES] Need help with ASM for Captain Tsubasa IV
« on: February 22, 2021, 03:18:17 pm »
Hello everyone, I am currently working on a translation of Captain Tsubasa IV, and I need help with assembly, as I am merely a translator and not a romhacker. With pointers I managed to increase the size available for player names, but this is not enough. Player names are limited to 6 characters, if I expand them any bigger they'll go through the window. Can anyone help me expand the window in the player strategy screen? That screen has 8 pixels wide margins to the left and right, using them might leave room for 7-characters long names. And yes, this is an 8px font.
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

AL64inthedark

• View Profile
Re: [SNES] Need help with ASM for Captain Tsubasa IV
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »
I hope someone could help this guy, I've just been looking for a translation of it yesterday.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 01:51:04 pm »
There are already some translations out there, but most of them can only be found on romsets.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 03:58:56 pm »
I'm bumping this topic to ask for help (again), but for a different kind of help.

The help I need this time, is with pointers. Okay, I have the rom expanded, but the pointers can't reach the expanded area. This is because this game's pointers are 16-bit, but the expanded space's addresses are 24-bit.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:07:08 pm »

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 06:49:08 pm »
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Pointer

Check the LoROM section.

Thank you very much, I'll see what I can do with these pointers.

Lusofonia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 05:36:25 pm »
Excuse me, but it's been a couple weeks since my last update on this thread and I haven't been able to do anything with it (yet). The Data Crystal, linked by @RadioTails, only says about what a pointer is and how it works, it doesn't necessarily help with my current issue. As I said previously I can't get the pointer to get to my address because the address 24-bit, and it's impossible to point an 24 offset using 16-bit pointers.

Discussing with other members (on the brazilian romhacking scene, specifically) I found out that a solution to my problem was to use assembly (as the title says) to change them. The catch is that there are way too many pointers in the pointer table, so I had the idea of dumping the script using tools made for that, such as cartographer.

Using Monkey Moore I was able to create the game's pointer (with a little help from some other guy). I downloaded Cartographer, create the .bat file (because I am too lazy to manually type in the commands in cmd), and create the command file. This is what Cartographer.bat looks like currently:

cartographer ct4.sfc ct4_commands.txt ct4_script -s

And this is ct4_commands.txt :
Code: [Select]
#GAME NAME:        Super Campeões IV
#BLOCK NAME:        Nomes dos times
#TYPE:            NORMAL
#METHOD:        POINTER
#POINTER ENDIAN:        LITTLE
#POINTER TABLE START:    $003e28
#POINTER TABLE STOP:    $003ed0
#POINTER SIZE:        $02
#POINTER SPACE:        $00
#ATLAS PTRS:        Yes
#TABLE:            Tsu3J.tbl
#COMMENTS:        Yes
#END BLOCK
(it's somewhat weirdly formatted here, but I've double checked and it's showing up properly in my TXT file)

That will only dump part of the script (more specifically the team names). However, it takes forever to dump the script, because I haven't specified in Tsu3J.tbl the control code that represents the end of the line, which makes the game dump the entire rom for every single team name. I'd attach the table here, but this forum doesn't have the option for that, never mind.
Yet, I can't specify this code, because that same code, which is used for this block for ends, is used for line-breaks elsewhere. The game uses control codes directly in front of that control code to determine if they're supposed to be line breaks or ends, while at the same time not being consistent with this definition. I hope I was clear in this line of thought, otherwise I can explain it again in my next posts.

24/03: Ok, kuroi is making a dumper/inserter that is also compatible with this game, but I don't want to consider this a case closed, mostly because he hasn't finished yet his tool. Tool finished, now denim is going to try remaking the pointers; that means the hacking is now half complete. Anime_World told me it's simple as changing the bank, but I don't think so.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:00:58 pm by Lusofonia »