This Randomizer is made with a costume assembler made by SpiderDave. The assembler is still in a beta/alpha state. You will require python3 to run it:https://spiderdave.me/nes/
I did include a older version of the free air movement made by NaOH:https://github.com/nstbayless/cv1-controls
I started out with RetroRain MMC5 for CV PRG0 conversion but made a lot of changes to it like using PRG1 ROM.. plus all the features.Here is the link to the project:https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0vswq0l164dlw1/CV1_RandomizerV0.2.1.zip?dl=0How to use:
Copy your "Castlevania (U) (PRG1) [!].nes" Rom to the main folder with the make.bat file. Name the ROM as shown before. Double click the make.bat to get a randomized ROM.
(The randomisation is done in the ASM file thanks to the features the new assembler provides. Check the main.asm the view conditions and add level select and such)Features:
- MMC5 Conversion used for CHR animation and the extra sprite page so all the enemies are available everywhere in the Castle.
- Palette variation. There is a general Dark and Light theme. Then also the Vanilla palette groups and sky randomization and such..
- I provide a full level select and cheat mode for testing for MMC1 and MMC5 version. (Needs to be enabled in the main.asm. Set condition to 1)
- Rearranged enemy assembly with some sprites that would allow for a smooth animation thanks to animated sprite bank. Or a idle frame for Simon. (Unfinished)
- There is a group of tiles animated for each stage but no animation is added so far. (Unfinished)
- Random music for each level. (Unfinished. The music should be shuffled as a group for each stage)
- Enemy Randomizer. (Unfinished. It is done till around the cave section and some choices are bad or placed wired)
- Boss locations.
- One extra playable Character. Richter (waiwai world style)
- Some general property only two damage through out the game.Known Bugs:
- Some bosses are one block in the ground. The Bosses need to be generalized or at last make low ground rooms for them.
- Right now the music changes after a checkpoint when you die. This is because it is not shuffled as a group.
- Some enemies are not meant to be together. The game crashes when there are fishman and bone throwing skelly on the screen. Sometimes there are wired
interactions with the code and the music can reset one channel. I just try to avoid some enemy arrangements because of that so far..
- Holy water does no longer stun bosses. Still works great on enemies. I know I could call that a feature but I don't know yet why that happen..
- Second face Dracula does not react properly when crouching in the corner for some reason..
Why do I post a unfinished project?
This is on my desk for over two month and I just go after other project. I do not find time or motivation to do more right now. It is still fully playable and
I am glad for testing feedback or additional resources and ASM files if anyone is willing to provide.
This is a free fan project anyone can use for what they like. The ROM conversion does not change the original offset that much. Other tools like steaks can be
used to make changes to the levels. That tool might not like the header of the file so you need to change it back on forward. Or just set up a patching line
from a other ROM to update this version. Graphics are CHR so you need to update them with a tool like Tile molester anyway. Not convenient but doable.
I don't know when I return to this but I thank in advance for feedback and have fun testing.
Additional ideas/bugfixes I consider implementing some time later: (This will be updated when I get feedback)
- Difficulty setting in Game. (probably just let you choose the amount of damage you receive)
- Candle randomizer. At last the sub weapon should be random drops.
- Enemy AI Randomizer. This could give a lot of replay value when done right. I was looking forward to it and I have a lot of ideas in that regard.
- New/Replaced Enemy types.
- NewBosses. I had like to make some costume bosses. I also think this could help other hackers. Give ideas how to do them. So far I only did one boss but I need
to make a proper ASM first. I also had the idea to copy some stuff of Optomon Holy Relics and Chorus of Mysteries hack into this project. But I probably stick
to my own creations.
- Animation for Sprite and Backgrounds.
- Add more playable characters.
- Add full property pages to change desired values in the game.
- Replacing Music engine with ggsound engine to make it possible to create music in a easy way.