News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Why are there no SOR 1/2/3 level hacks?  (Read 772 times)

possom2009

• View Profile
Why are there no SOR 1/2/3 level hacks?
« on: February 13, 2021, 08:37:53 pm »
Seriously, why aren't there any? It gets kinda boring playing the same levels when the only thing that's changed ate the new characters to play with.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Why are there no SOR 1/2/3 level hacks?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:38:31 pm »
The simplest answer is probably correct: that if no level hacks exist then probably nobody has had enough interest to figure out the level data formats and create an editor.
Level editors and level hacks happen when someone wants to make that push.

Well, Genesis probably has the higher learning curve in that I hear it was common to compress everything thanks to its faster CPU, which probably made it a little more difficult than NES or Game Boy hacking which a lot of the mod scene probably started on.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 11:10:00 pm »
gsaurus did put together a level editor for SoR2, which may be found here: https://github.com/gsaurus/sor_pancakes/tree/feature/level_editor/Sor2_LevelEditor

I had leveraged it to change out enemies in my TMNT Remix and TMNT Final hacks.  It more or less demonstrates how limited VRAM is, as you can only swap an enemy for another one in the same scene (i.e., the same small part of the stage).

Can't recall if the Syndicate Wars hack adjusts for that.

The compression routine can be found around $30C0 in the SoR2 ROM.  I never looked into whether it's specifically used for the level backgrounds, but I suspect it is, given that it's used for the enemy sprites, the end sequence images, and the title screen (I'm betting the player select portraits too).  The level editor doesn't allow for changing the backgrounds, just like Pancake 2 doesn't allow for directly editing the compressed enemy sprites.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 11:17:02 pm by eskayelle »
I once wrote a blog.  Maybe you'll find something in it useful?  https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30593.0

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:15:06 am »
Probably because most people thinking "I know, I want to do some streets of rage but in my own way" probably found beats of rage (though OpenBOR https://github.com/DCurrent/openbor is where you would be pointed today) or one of the various remakes seen over the years (SoRR, streets of rage remake, probably being where most start today but there are others of varying ease in locating -- sega also goes after those fan games) and put their efforts into that instead.