News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Best SNES emulator for Windows?  (Read 1599 times)

Nilsens

• View Profile
Best SNES emulator for Windows?
« on: February 09, 2021, 10:32:12 am »
Any recommendations for Snes emulator?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:49:36 am by Nilsens »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Best SNES emulator for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 04:32:24 pm »
This should go without saying (and it would if it wasn't for people haning around a certain emulator that hasn't been updated in over a decade), but bsnes.

The only one reason why you would use anything else is because of speed reasons.  Even the "old SMW hack" exception doesn't really matter since bsnes can also emulate the qwirks of older emulators for older hacks.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 07:57:27 pm »
Personally the best Snes emulators for me are:

1 - Snes9x  (It has an ok GUI with plenty of options and it's very compatible)
2 - Mesen-S (It has a pretty good GUI with plenty of options, this one is probably the least compatible in this list but I may be wrong, it's still top tier)
3 - Bsnes   (It has an ok GUI and the best compatibility, it's not my default emulator though because it's missing an important feature for me)

The reason I will go with Snes9x or Mesen-S over Bsnes is because of the Save State/Load State GUI which is an excellent feature on those 2 emulators, Bsnes doesn't have it so it's an instant turn off for me. To be fair Bsnes does have something a bit similar with the Save State/Load State GUI but the implementation is godawful in it and is something I will never use in Bsnes but in Snes9x and Mesen-S I will use it all the time.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 08:16:23 pm »
Aren't there things that implement the bsnes core that are superior to bsnes itself, like Higan or Bizhawk? (I'm sure Retroarch isn't the way to go.)

Any recommendations for Snes emulator?
Welcome to the board! Are you a spambot?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 02:37:45 am »
snes9x.

1. Accurate emulation, and has hacks for old SMW hacks that (previously) only worked on zsnes
2. GUI is clean and uses standard windows menus, dialog boxes and file opening explorer, unlike higan or retroarch which is super tedious to use IMO

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:56:53 pm »
I think after the big 2019 rewrite, BSNES is the overall best.

The reason I will go with Snes9x or Mesen-S over Bsnes is because of the Save State/Load State GUI which is an excellent feature on those 2 emulators, Bsnes doesn't have it so it's an instant turn off for me. To be fair Bsnes does have something a bit similar with the Save State/Load State GUI but the implementation is godawful in it and is something I will never use in Bsnes but in Snes9x and Mesen-S I will use it all the time.

Can you go into more detail?  BSNES save/load seems normal to me?  Hotkeys for loading/saving states, hotkeys for moving between slots, gui showing you the date the save was made...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:03:01 pm by zarkon »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 12:02:41 am »
There was a big rewrite in 2019? I haven't been following these things. (I think byuu left, and then came back, and then decided to leave again?)

I would expect that someone would have tried to replicate the ZSNES GUI just for kicks.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 01:57:38 am »
Can you go into more detail?  BSNES save/load seems normal to me?  Hotkeys for loading/saving states, hotkeys for moving between slots, gui showing you the date the save was made...

I'm talking about the Save State/Load State GUI, not the usual Quick Saves/Quick Load that most emulators have. The thing I'm talking about is this:

Snes9x

Mesen-S

Snes9x (Mac/OSX) - This one is my personal favorite

You can easily open that Save/Load State GUI with a hotkey in those emulators and save or load your games easily with a pretty picture and whatnot, the thing Bsnes has is something a bit similar called State Manager but the implementation in it is just plain horrible for me, it doesn't even have a hotkey (at least not in the version I'm using) so in Bsnes I'm forced to use Quick Saves/Quick Load instead because I will never use that State Manager crap.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:05:31 am by xZabuzax »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 08:55:39 am »
There was a big rewrite in 2019? I haven't been following these things. (I think byuu left, and then came back, and then decided to leave again?)
That was the year when BSNES got a good GUI more along the lines of Snes9x, a huge speedup (to almost Snes9x levels) that sacrificed nothing for just playing in the end, which even then was optional (when fast modes are turned off, it's as accurate as Higan), the ability to emulate flawed emulators, and Sameboy integration for super game boy.  Then out of nowhere there was run ahead and HD Mode 7.  After all that it was declared over 100% complete and Byuu/Near put the emulator up to complete FOSS without him as owner.  And to be fair, all it really needs anymore is general maintance and the ability to work in new OSes.  There's also the HD branch with widescreen and such.

I would expect that someone would have tried to replicate the ZSNES GUI just for kicks.
ZMZ is still kicking actually, since it uses Libretro cores of bsnes it's pretty much always stays relevant.  IIRC there's also a neat Raspberry Pi thing out there that basically turns it into a better SNES classic, and just packs in and updates all the SNES cores.  Don't remember the name though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:24:44 am by Chronosplit »

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 07:37:06 pm »
I'm talking about the Save State/Load State GUI, not the usual Quick Saves/Quick Load that most emulators have. The thing I'm talking about is this:

You can easily open that Save/Load State GUI with a hotkey in those emulators and save or load your games easily with a pretty picture and whatnot, the thing Bsnes has is something a bit similar called State Manager but the implementation in it is just plain horrible for me, it doesn't even have a hotkey (at least not in the version I'm using) so in Bsnes I'm forced to use Quick Saves/Quick Load instead because I will never use that State Manager crap.

Ah, understood.  I can see how that'd be useful for certain usecases, though the BSNES one would be good enough for me on the rare occasions I'd have cause to use it.