News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need help on figuring out on how to decompress a PSX BIN file  (Read 997 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Need help on figuring out on how to decompress a PSX BIN file
« on: February 09, 2021, 08:34:42 am »
Hi everyone,

I need help on figuring out on how to decompress a PSX BIN file.

I want to do a ROM hack for Fire Pro Wrestling G, but the info that I want to edit in the BIN file is compressed.

What program do I need to use that will not only decompress it, but also re-compress it as well.

If someone can help me on this, that would be great.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on figuring out on how to decompress a PSX BIN file
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 12:43:35 pm »
the info that I want to edit in the BIN file is compressed
Decompressing a BIN file and decompressing info inside a BIN file are two different things, of course.

As with all such problems, there is no universal compression standard that was used by all games.  Unless  someone out there has done work on the game already (or work on similar games from the same developers), then you have to reverse-engineer the decompression algorithm by examining the code.

But the Fire Pro wrestling games are pretty popular, are they not?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on figuring out on how to decompress a PSX BIN file
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 01:30:55 am »
Alright, thanks for the info.

Yes, the Fire Pro wrestling series is pretty popular, especially the older entries.

Ortew sent me an example of compressed and decompressed data from the game that might help users on here on what type of compression is used for it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQLo58nwRVJ7IvdDeNyfD3MGMzW866Pw/view?usp=sharing

The file that I need help on decompressing is the FPG.BIN file that's located inside the game's main BIN file, you can get the file by using the CDmage utility tool.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 11:11:07 am by SCD »