News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Scratchpad: Invalid File Extension 'ips' ... why?  (Read 909 times)

LRFLEW

• View Profile
Scratchpad: Invalid File Extension 'ips' ... why?
« on: February 06, 2021, 11:09:26 pm »
I was looking to add my (simple) mod to the database. I got to the stage of adding the patch file, and while using the Scratchpad to upload the file, I got the error I mentioned in the title.

Code: [Select]
Invalid File Extension 'ips' in '<my patch>.ips'. Allowable extensions are gif, png, jpg, jpeg, doc, zip, rar, 7z, 7zp, txt, html, htm, exe, pdf, bz2, dmg, tgz, gz, tar, rtf, msi, txt.
... why? IPS seems like the most common patch type on here, so why not allow uploading the patch file directly? I see the archive formats in the list of allowed extensions, so I assume you're expecting me to compress the patch before uploading. However, That isn't always optimal. Patch files are binary files, meaning they aren't always going to be able to benefit from compression very much. It's also terrible for small patch files. My IPS file is only 17 bytes, but trying to make it a ZIP file increases to 205 bytes, which is an increase of over 12 times.

Since it looks like the submission URL can be any URL, I'm just going to upload the patch to my personal website and use that instead of the Scratchpad. It just seems like an annoying barrier to uploading.

EDIT: Used my own site to upload the file, and got that the Hack Submission page only accepts "ZIP, RAR, 7ZP, TXT, HTML, TAR.GZ, DOC, DMG, and EXE." Again, why? EXE seems more dangerous to allow direct uploads for than just IPS files.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:24:29 pm by LRFLEW »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Scratchpad: Invalid File Extension 'ips' ... why?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 01:28:21 pm »
probably maybe put the ips in a zip with a readme like everyone else seems to do?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:34:26 pm »
Indeed, including at least a brief readme with your patch is a rather compelling reason to keep using .zip .

My IPS file is only 17 bytes, but trying to make it a ZIP file increases to 205 bytes, which is an increase of over 12 times.
205 bytes is still so close to nothing that it hardly matters.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 04:54:01 pm »
I remember way back when, Antivirus or browsers would trigger every now and then when directly downloading a patch file as opposed to a Zip.  To this day sometimes you need to tell your antivirus not to scan for a bit.  That might be the reason why this stipulation exists?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:18:26 pm »
I remember way back when, Antivirus or browsers would trigger every now and then when directly downloading a patch file as opposed to a Zip.  To this day sometimes you need to tell your antivirus not to scan for a bit.
Not for data-only patches, surely? That would happen with executables, particularly utilities designed to modify other processes in-memory
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!