News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [NES] Joy Mech Fight Special  (Read 532 times)

Streetwize

• View Profile
[NES] Joy Mech Fight Special
« on: April 20, 2021, 09:30:35 pm »
I might as well make a thread here for feedback. Being the recursive person I am I updated it frequently on the Discord server, but now that it's on here I need to do so less to not be so overbearing. At least the subscribe feature makes that not as big of an issue I guess. That said, I will provide smaller, direct patches so you don't need to constantly patch a clean ROM.
The goal is to not only refine the game's balance, but to also eventually add content. As I'm learning things as I hack, don't expect that to happen anytime soon. As it stands I will need to expand the ROM as I cannot find enough free space to properly add two characters' worth of poses, especially after using animation code for one of them for another character.
I am open to all feedback regarding the game. There are still things I don't know how to adjust though, especially particular properties of specials like movement and i-frames. I won't say "please help find this for me", but I won't stop others from wanting to. Those bottom two links should help greatly.

Future Plans:
Further balance characters based on feedback
Alter pushback to use the h-velocity byte reserved for throws instead of relying on damage itself
Create "in-between" movement speeds for flexibility
Start decay of dizzy when not zero instead of using a universal timer that affects both players simultaneously.
Make a patch for cosmetics-only and one to restore War mode (will lock all characters).
Remove limitation of special block damage based on its base damage Done
Ensure dizzy once the threshold is met; increase dizzy recovery to compensate Done

Links:
RHDN Page
Full change log
Discord Server
JMF Resource 1
JMF Resource 2
Note: Addresses 1XXXX refers to 0XXX-1XXX in Battery RAM/WRAM on most emulators and 6XXX-7XXX on FCEUX.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:01:12 pm by Streetwize »

Streetwize

• View Profile
Re: [NES] Joy Mech Fight Special
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 05:07:43 pm »
I am just going to post here about a tournament being hosted for this hack. Anybody is free to enter. It is going to be using v2r1, which should be up on this site soon. If you're interested, feel free to check out the Discord server.

I also apologize for not properly double-checking my previous submission to not include the proper IPS file. I was in such a rush to upload something after realizing that I made the game crash on certain stages. If it happens again, you can apply the Japanese patch onto an English ROM. The only thing you'll be missing out on is the fixed English as it doesn't alter any text whatsoever.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:50:58 pm »
Streetwize: I didn’t know this game, I found it interesting and its project to refine it can make the game spectacular, I don’t understand anything about programming and even so I’m imagining a bomberman 2 remake, my first attempt to make sprites for min was a surprise, I respected the NES color limit using 4 colors per sprite, but I'm not sure if that would work, see the link to a video I made https://youtu.be/8f4Q2IUSeNM

Streetwize

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 12:50:47 pm »
My programming skills are rudimentary. I do not understand hardware architecture and my skills are limited to game logic. That said, I can tell you that your sprites won't work. You need to use three colors as the fourth is reserved for transparency. No matter how you arrange the palette you'd end up with part of the graphics missing from what you have drawn.
Edit: There are tricks like overlaying and separation for more colors, but I don't know the practicality or efficiency for such.

You did this on five ten threads? I'll be frank. I don't think this is the best way to go about asking for help. I don't have an issue with Bomberman, but what would be in it for me? For us? I do respect your attempt at spriting as you prove you aren't someone who only provides ideas. Even if I was able to make games from scratch why should I, or anybody else, take time away from working on OUR passion projects to work on yours? It just doesn't make sense.

May 08, 2021, 08:02:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I mistyped the link for the Twitch. I'll be streaming a new update for this with the tournament organizer here. We were supposed to be using the version currently on here, but since nobody entered I decided we should simply play the update. I'll bring the update here after we're done streaming.
https://www.twitch.tv/conspiratoriai
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 08:02:27 pm by Streetwize »