News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Brazilian Versions of Classic Mario Titles!  (Read 1352 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Brazilian Versions of Classic Mario Titles!
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:11:55 pm »

Update By: BMatSantos

In a span of 2 months, the romhacker BMatSantos managed to bring the Mario Brothers' first adventures to Brazilian Portuguese. Motivated by his passion, the series' 35th anniversary and a common local misconception that "Bros" is Mario's surname, he went on to translate Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 (NES) and Lost Levels (FDS), with help along the way from the graphic editor Kosmus.

Although there were other Portuguese fan translations for them already, what makes these versions different is the decision to not spare any terms from being adapted -- from the big title logo to the small "1UP" eyecandy. (The only exceptions were some character names on the later games, due to the lack of a better or cooler name for them.) Also, thanks to the previous work of disassembly projects, it was easier to adjust some quirks in order to make bigger changes feel more natural.

You can check the latest translation (Super Mario Bros. 3) on the project page link, and the other ones on BMatSantos' profile.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Brazilian Versions of Classic Mario Titles!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 01:02:02 pm »
Can't wait for his Brazilian translation of Mario's SNES game, Super Mario World (even though I speak English).

Green Jerry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 04:08:08 pm »
He's also working on a Super Mario 64 translation, according to the progress section everything's translated (texts, graphics and voices), but they need to be revised/reviewed.
My 3 latest Portuguese translations:
Sonic the Hedgehog (GEN) - My first Genesis translation!
F-1 Race (NES)
Sqoon (NES)

Mak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 06:00:40 pm »
Badass! Cant wait for more of these, hopefully Yoshi's Island gets translated too :beer:

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 12:59:27 pm »
Badass! Cant wait for more of these, hopefully Yoshi's Island gets translated too :beer:
OK, and what'll come after that? Mario Paint, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart 64? Come to think of it, I think all games of Mario and related franchises can be translated into all the major languages, including Brazilian Portuguese! :)