News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Sega Genesis Exodus Emulator Question  (Read 1361 times)

DPMHHacker

• View Profile
Sega Genesis Exodus Emulator Question
« on: January 29, 2021, 04:20:13 pm »
I've recently been using Exodus, and I'm confused on some matters.
1. I know this is the WRONG forum to ask questions about the Exodus, but I don't know where I should ask them.
2. About the Breakpoints in this Emulator: I want to track to see if a certain byte in the VRAM. What functions should I use then?

Malias

• View Profile
Re: Sega Genesis Exodus Emulator Question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:20:50 pm »
Have you tried creating a breakpoint on the Main 68000 with the VRAM address you're interested in? That's where I would start. The emulator has a lot of features which you can best learn by messing around with them.

If you're unsure of how something in it works or how to configure something, feel free to keep asking here, but the emulator also has a dedicated forum here you can go to: http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

DPMHHacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:29:23 pm »
@Malias I currently know how to use/see:

Registers
Status Registers of 68000
Memory Readers of various kinds

But this is the first time I've ever heard of setting breakpoints elsewhere BESIDES the 68000 or Z80.

Where do I set a breakpoint that checks to see what address/address groups has changed?

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 05:46:16 pm »
@Malias I currently know how to use/see:

Registers
Status Registers of 68000
Memory Readers of various kinds

But this is the first time I've ever heard of setting breakpoints elsewhere BESIDES the 68000 or Z80.

Where do I set a breakpoint that checks to see what address/address groups has changed?

Upon reviewing Exodus and what I wrote, my suggestion is bad, sorry. It doesn't look like Exodus has a direct way to break on access to VDP. If you knew where in RAM your byte was coming from, you could break on read of that. Otherwise, you can monitor the VDP registers and it has a port monitor which looks interesting; It also has a VRAM memory editor. Perhaps one of those would help.

The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Kanon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 02:20:36 pm »
You can also set a watchpoint to the memory address mapped to the VDP data port (0x00C00000), but that would break with every write to VDP. Supposedly, you can set in watchpoints the value to read/write, but I never got it to work. One thing that works is set it to break every N number of hits, so it can help you narrow down the moment it writes to the desired address.