News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition Updated to Version 3.0!  (Read 3399 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Rodimus Primal

Considered by many to be the best vanilla version of Final Fantasy VI on the SNES, Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition is now updated to Version 3.0! This is a major script revision that corrects many of the mistranslated lines, heavily expands the dialog in places that were originally truncated to fit the the space limitations of the Super NES cartridge (which sometimes hurt the script overall), and fixes previously reported errors.

As has always been one of the goals of Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition, most of the popular and memorable lines (known as Woolseyisms) from the original SNES release of the game remain intact. In addition, as the project's name implies, the graphics and dialog were uncensored and restored back to their Japanese counterpart. Options for players also include the use of the modern version of the famous opera scene, numerous bug fixes, quality of life improvements, and a music player.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Stifu

• View Profile
So many Final Fantasy VI re-translations or improvement hacks, it's hard to pick one.
Does anyone know how this compares with hairy_hen's Retranslated project?

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
So many Final Fantasy VI re-translations or improvement hacks, it's hard to pick one.

This project has been a long standing one on this site for many years. It has kept true to its original goals, which keeps the memorable and famous lines many grew up with while cleaning up the translation and uncensoring the game. A lot of time, energy, and hard work went into this recent update. I'd say its well worth your time playing through it.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Not to knock anyone, but there's so many good ones around nowadays that I actually have a top three instead of one.  Yes I know it's silly to do that, I'm not playing three at once or anything.  That would be: Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition (TWUE), Retranslated, and Revised Old Style Edition (or ROSE).  The best help I can offer is to read up and see how each compares as in most cases the differences between the three are purely up to personal taste (yes even the bugfixes).  ROSE's readme is very detailed about how changes were determined and TWUE has a huge thread that talks a ton about the history of changes, for example.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:52:49 pm by Chronosplit »