News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to set an image as a Mega Drive rom?  (Read 1430 times)

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
How to set an image as a Mega Drive rom?
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:50:22 pm »
Ok so the idea is I have an image (BMP file 320x224) that I want to set as a Mega Drive BIN file, so that I may use it with the "addintrogen" program here:

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1046/

It says to edit the "Default_logo.bin" file with any graphic editing software. However there is no tutorial on how to do this (or recommended editor even) and I just want to be able to import my BMP file into the rom and save it for the updated "Default_logo.bin which would then have the image I added, so then I can use that new modified Default_logo.bin as an intro to a Mega Drive rom using the "addintrogen" program.

Does anyone have a guide on how to do this, or alternatively knows a different and/or easier method?
Super Sonic Speed!

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
Re: How to set an image as a Mega Drive rom?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 05:17:26 pm »
It's been maybe a year since I've used it, but IIRC you open the Default_logo.bin in Tile Layer Pro, TileMolester, or the image editing software of your choice, make sure the proper graphic codec (bpp) is set to match what the Genesis reads (the default image will then become clearly evident), and then paste in your .bmp over the default image.  Then save.
I once wrote a blog.  Maybe you'll find something in it useful?  https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30593.0

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
Re: How to set an image as a Mega Drive rom?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:15:43 am »
It's been maybe a year since I've used it, but IIRC you open the Default_logo.bin in Tile Layer Pro, TileMolester, or the image editing software of your choice, make sure the proper graphic codec (bpp) is set to match what the Genesis reads (the default image will then become clearly evident), and then paste in your .bmp over the default image.  Then save.

Thanks. Based off of this I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. After hours of trial and error I finally did it. I was able to create an intro screen at the start of a rom that is skipped by pressing START button.

That's a new skill under my belt.
Super Sonic Speed!