News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical] [Famicom] Be a Pachinko Pro Pachio-kun!  (Read 384 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
[Technical] [Famicom] Be a Pachinko Pro Pachio-kun!
« on: January 12, 2021, 10:22:07 pm »
Howdy. Seeking someone to do the hacking/reverse engineering work to insert the translated script, and facilitate the replacement of any necessary graphics to render all Japanese text into English for Mezase Pachi Pro Pachio-kun on the Nintendo Famicom. My priority is to cut down the translated script as little as possible and to create a nice looking translated version of the game.

This has become something of a pet project of mine since I read up on how to play pachinko, and posted a full play-through of this game to YouTube (https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkybU1NLulWglhSdlgsFXYBoOd-FGiTfh) Thanks to this I've had time to refine the script and do a lot of editing with context. The only thing I'd still like to do is perhaps lean into some of the dialectical dialog a little more heavily.

I got help on this previously, but the folks helping had some trouble making room for the script to fit comfortably without major edits. There was a nice title screen inserted by FlashPV however which should be able to be utilized, so consider that work already completed.

The script is fully translated and available here with notes about offsets where text is located in the ROM, and a table file here. https://mattsmessyroom.com/uploads/mezase_pachi_pro_pachio-kun_script_package.7z

This is the first in a long line of Pachinko games featuring the Pachio-kun character that appear on many platforms. I've also dumped scripts for the other 4 games in the series that appear on the Famicom, though I haven't translated them yet. I'd prefer someone who is open to the possibility of working on the sequels as well, though it is not necessary. Please let me know if you can help with this project. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:35:01 pm by filler »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Re: [Technical] [Famicom] Be a Pachinko Pro Pachio-kun!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:07:03 am »
Well, I haven't posted in nine months, but seeing Filler talk about a Famicom game from 1987 woke me up... :D

I had a look at this, just to see what work would be involved in getting it done. There's not a huge amount of text to go in there, and it reminds me of when we worked on Sherlock Holmes over two years ago. That game, like this one, was an MMC1 mapper game, 128KB in size, and I switched that to an UNROM mapper with 256KB, making it trivial to fit all the dialogue in. Comparing this script to that one, this is even smaller, so getting the text in there shouldn't be a problem.

I analysed the text routine, and it doesn't seem too big of a deal: the game just looks at each character in turn, assembles it in RAM and then plops it in VRAM once the line is done. It dedicates two lines to each one because of furigana, but that could be modified so that every line of the text block is used, giving you a 20x8 window - that could produce side effects that need to be addressed, though.

Of course, I just looked at the first dialogue box in the game, so there might be other bits of the game that are more problematic. And I haven't looked into the title screen, and NES title screens are harder than they look due to the tiny amount of space given to them. FlashPV does great title screens but actually getting them in there can be a tricky process, sometimes needing modification. As such, I do NOT want to promise anything at all. :D I'm not even sure if I can do this owing to time, and I hate to let people down (I have let you down before, alas). I just wanted to give my thoughts after a brief analysis, and suggest that I MIGHT get further into it, time permitting.

Don't want to give false hope, but if I have a few days free... it's possible. :)

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Re: [Technical] [Famicom] Be a Pachinko Pro Pachio-kun!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 09:09:23 am »
Hi Psyklak, you don't need to look for the title screen I've already inserted it into the rom. If you're interested, I'll send you the modified file.
Just PM me  ;)