News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: IPS patcher won't find the ROM I want patched to change the text to English?  (Read 575 times)

Darunia

• View Profile
I'm not certain if this is the correct place to ask this, but I found a ROM of the game Lunar - Sanposuru Gakuen online and I want to play it in English. I downloaded a translation from this site which comes with a ips patcher, but it will not recognize any of the ROMs I found on the internet. Sometimes I would find ROMs of the game prepatched to read in English, but they are in horrible Engrish or have glitchy text mixed with Japanese for no reason. The .gg file for the Lunar game that is in Japanese works fine with the emulator that I have, but when I double click on the ips patcher it won't recognize any of the Lunar ROMs that I found even the badly translated English ones. I have the ips patcher in the same folder as the ROM, but it shows the folder as empty, but there is supposed to be a ROM file in there? Anyone know of a solution to this? I'm not asking for a ROM of the game cause I already have it, just why is this issue happening? I think I had this happen before when trying to patch a game, but it would not show the ROM file when trying to apply the patch?

Voljega

• View Profile
You likely need to change the type of file displayed from 'Most common rom format' to 'all format' in the bottom right of the selection window

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Usually it is helpful to provide some sort of link so people know what you are talking about, is it not? Are you referring to https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1454/ ? Because that download includes an IPS patch, but not an IPS patcher. So what patcher are you using?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
with retroarch just rename your .ips to have the same name as your game. ofc keep the .ips extension.
with emulicious use the 'Apply patch' option from the menu.
don't even have to unzip your games.

hard patching is so last decade.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Presumably you're using LunarIPS. Its default list of file extensions (which is what it uses to filter the folder view) is fairly limited. You could try typing "*.gg" (without quotes) or just * into the file name box, then hitting enter, and it should update the window with the full list of files in the directory.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Not many people seem to know that RHDN has a web-based patcher. It supports multiple patch formats, shows you the checksums and even has an option to strip/add SNES headers before applying. It's pretty neat and deserves more recognition, really.

Darunia

• View Profile
Usually it is helpful to provide some sort of link so people know what you are talking about, is it not? Are you referring to https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1454/ ? Because that download includes an IPS patch, but not an IPS patcher. So what patcher are you using?
I meant IPS patch not IPS patcher, that is the same link where I got the patch which included the IPS patch. I didn't think if the link was necessary, I specified that I got the patch from this site? Double clicking on the IPS patch does not show the ROM I downloaded and placed it in the same file as the IPS patch.

with retroarch just rename your .ips to have the same name as your game. ofc keep the .ips extension.
with emulicious use the 'Apply patch' option from the menu.
don't even have to unzip your games.

hard patching is so last decade.

I have retroarch and I just tried doing what you specified with renaming the .ips file as the same as the ROM file, but the ROM still is in Japanese and not English. However I tried using "Emulicious" and attach the patch with the emulator and it works just fine. But each time I restart the emulator I have to reapply the patch again cause it reverts back to Japanese.

Thanks everyone for your help, I can finally play the last Lunar game by Studio Alex!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Would your ROM happen to have "Read Only" set? (if using Windows, right click on the file and select Properties)
It sounds like you are trying to apply the patch and it does nothing.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Double clicking on the IPS patch does not show the ROM I downloaded and placed it in the same file as the IPS patch.
Does that mean you installed an IPS patcher in the past..?  Which one? Have you been able to patch other games?

It seems quite possible that "IPS" could be associated with a completely different program on your system that has nothing to do with patching (though there haven't been reports of that from other users).
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
I have retroarch and I just tried doing what you specified with renaming the .ips file as the same as the ROM file, but the ROM still is in Japanese and not English.
it needs to be in the same directory, and the name must be exactly the same (e.g. lunar.zip and lunar.ips). and i think you need to use SMS Plus GX or Genesis Plus GX cores, at least these two work for me. but you're good with emulicious too.