News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Front Mission SNES Restoring the story screen text  (Read 1506 times)

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
Front Mission SNES Restoring the story screen text
« on: January 11, 2021, 05:49:00 am »

Hello.  Help me pls recover text from the game's history. Here it is:

Why did the developers make the text almost unreadable? :o
I read the sample text in the picture:

Summary: Medical experiment the practical application of high-Japan, the word "Human experimentation" negative connotations of the w***ion and criyl listened.

***tations violation of human rights. The ***tion and ***** for TR the human subjects and listen ceneced of medical services *** ethos of traditional polemics.

SAKATA

Help me recover the text. Maybe someone has it?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:14:14 am by Guyver »
I not the wizard, I only study...

Viewer

• View Profile
Re: Front Mission SNES Restoring the story screen text
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 02:06:33 pm »
You could at least say "please". It sounds like you want someone to go digging in the game's data to see how the text is displayed - it could be as simple as using a hex editor. What is the exact name of the game, please?

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 02:31:04 pm »
What? You didn't play the game? "Please" don't give me weird advice... I have a graphics unpacker, I posted screenshots. Game screenshots and screenshots taken from the rom (I took them out of the rom, I don't need help with this).

I need to "restore" the text. Visually. From the screenshot  ;)  I don't need any help with programming  :laugh:

it could be as simple as using a hex editor
- How can hex editor help you here? This is the graphics. Not text...

P.S. Front Mission (J) (V1.0) [T+Eng1.0b_FH].smc
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:44:30 pm by Guyver »

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 02:48:23 pm »
This is a Japanese game. How do you know it was meant to be read and isn't just garbage filler text? Especially since even where the long English text in the original untranslated version is visible like the scrolling intro, it gets Japanese subtitles.

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 03:28:14 pm »
If that's really the case, it's bad. But the text seems to be more or less meaningful. The parts that I managed to decipher...

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:55:32 am »
I wonder if "jintoi-hikken", is meant to be "jintai jikken (人体実験)"? The translation means "testing on a living person".

But yeah, that font is hard to read and doesn't display the correct letters. I'm wondering if it's "connections of the working and peril"? I do see cyril, but that's a Greek name.

Guyver

• =<O_O>=
    • View Profile
    • Chief-Net.ru
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 06:51:31 am »
Thanks for the help! I wrote a sample text that I managed to decipher. But it's better than gibberish... At least, I hope so :laugh:

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:50:18 am by Guyver »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 02:26:16 am »
As to the "why is it unreadable"?

Well, to that I have to ask for context...
was it removed from the fan-translation, or was it just text put in the original game?

If it is the latter... it's probably because Japanese devs sometimes like to put English text in games purely for appearance, with what feels like no concern or intent for it to actually be readable/audible.
I have seen more than one example of that.
Unreadable fonts (like this), walls of text scrolled by at like a million miles per hour (I'm sure I've seen multiple arcade shmups do that), wall of text that changes screens quickly (Michael English no Daibouken. For an educational game, I can maybe read HALF of the game's intro before it disappears), bad audio balance (I know people wanted subtitles in the intro to DeJap's Star Ocean translation because it feels like half the audio is DROWNED OUT BY BLARING SIRENS. Though I recall playing another TriAce game years later, Radiata Stories where I got to at least one cutscene I had to reset and activate subtitles because of the same problem.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018