News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dreamcast GDI Patches  (Read 9409 times)

Master X

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast GDI Patches
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 08:31:40 am »
This is honestly amazing, thank you so much for your hard work! I literally made an account just for this. I don't think I was alone in hoping for these types of patches for years now. We can finally have .chds of all these amazing translations! I'm kind of curious what the difference between your patch and the original L.O.L. patch are since there is already a .gdi compatible version released by streeker. I read about the intro movie in the first post, is that it? I can't really notice a difference between the two versions.

Yeah, when I was creating a new *.gdi version for L.O.L - Lack of Love, using the translated intro movie (TEST_AE320X448.SFD is the name of the file, original file has about 3.6 MB size and the modified file has about 7.7 MB size) the game always refuses to boot. So I used the original file and then the game works perfectly. Just for curiosity, I spent a lot of time to recreate a new patched *.gdi for this game, it was really difficult. But now I was able to rebuild a new *.gdi with this translated movie and I'll update the link for this patch as soon as possible.

My intention is always to use ONLY the original modified files released by the translators, and keep ALL another files untouched, preserving the maximum quality possible.

Is there any possibility of the Shenmue 2 (PAL) English patch being converted as well? It used audio from the Xbox port to convert the dialogue/cutscene audio to English. Here is a full version with uncompressed audio, currently only available as .cdi's (despite being over 1GB files):
https://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47926
This would probably be the Holy Grail of Dreamcast games! Practically a localized version of a classic Sega franchise that was axed by Microsoft 20 years ago!

EDIT:
Through a combination of Wayback Machine and Google Translate on a Russian site, I found links to .gdi versions of this. Found on the now defunct AssemblerGames forum (RIP). Mega links are still active if you look hard enough.

Yeah, it's possible to convert the Shenmue 2 (PAL) English patches to *.gdi. I never saw GDI versions for these patches before, but I'm glad that you could find them. But I have plans to do it by myself.

EDIT EDIT:
I also noticed that Space Channel 5 - Part 2 has an English patch as well that is only available as a .cdi! There are two versions floating around, a glitched one with virtually nothing translated (it's the NU-NRG 2007 version) and one with everything translated (even videos ripped from the PS2 port). No pressure, just making you aware of this one since you've done such great work reverse engineering .cdi's already!
https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/9ls43z/space_channel_5_part_2_eng_dub/
Cheers! Looking forward to what you'll do next, there's so much stuff thats only available as .cdi's.  :beer:

Then, take a look in the first post.  ;D

Space Channel 5 - Part 2 GDI Patch has been released! I used a patched CDI translated by BrAzE, with ALL in-game text, profiles, costume information and textures are now in English. PS2 voices and videos have been used, only all references to X and O have been edited to A and B.

Actually I did this patch about 7 days ago, but my PC had some problems, I needed to fix it and reinstall everything. It's ok now, and more patches will be released soon!

Lastly, but not least, I have plans to released widescreen patches for this translations (and for another games) too.

See ya!

irvgotti452

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2021, 02:30:27 am »
It's time to another GDI Patch...  ;D

Fire Pro Wrestling D

Patch (11.73 MB): http://www.mediafire.com/file/zguv2n203l12vsr/Fire_ProWrestling_D_GDI_Patch.7z/file

Spoiler:
Search for "Fire ProWrestling D v1.002 (2001)(Spike)(JP)[!]" in the google to find the same GDI that I used to make the patch. If you wish, you can search for the original GDI hashes below to be sure that is the correct GDI. This game has multiple tracks in original japanese GDI, so you'll need to patch two files this time and use an updated *.gdi file that comes with the patches. So, please apply the patches in the files "track03.bin" and "track50.bin" with following hashes (use Delta Patcher/Delta Patcher Lite):

track03.bin:

CRC32: 8B9984B0
  MD5: D9B98791462B3228EDCC4DD650B07471
SHA-1: 746CC2BAA2407DA0B7EB63805FAD1911CA42FF73

track50.bin:

CRC32: 49B80CE8
  MD5: 9E3F905307FFD3D470EDC4076EA6322C
SHA-1: 722CBE7CB505D404B1A82A2B3B7D70ACE28A8302

You should have now a patched "track03.bin" and "track50.bin" from japanese GDI, and now the file will have the following hashes:

track03.bin:

CRC32: 7F04E6F0
  MD5: 21BBB002E526E8F182272911C277DE14
SHA-1: 30631E7179CD42B5BCBF8D518583EEFC61E4E018

track50.bin:

CRC32: 513050EA
  MD5: E27094CFE2ECBA3BCF710A531ECC9CA4
SHA-1: 288FF077174C2B94E017D3D0E22C9CD0FDDCDE0C

If everything is ok, you can now enjoy the translation in a patched GDI. But in order to work properly, you MUST use the *.gdi file that comes with the patches (or you can update the original *.gdi file with the contents of my *.gdi file), because the tracks were updated to insert the english translation and the track addresses were changed as well.

NOTES:

- Just to be clear: I'm NOT the author of this translation and I'm NOT make part of the translation group. I'm just someone that made a GDI patch using the translated files from a patched CDI. The credit for this translation goes to original translator.

- I played the game in a real Dreamcast (GDEMU), not in an emulator. The game is working fine, but I didn't finish the game yet. So I don't know if there's any issues in-game.

- To convert this game from CDI to GDI, I needed to rewrite the main binary (1ST_READ.BIN), because some translated texts are in this file, but the main binary found in the CDI image is not compatible with original tracks organization, because usually these binaries are hacked to work properly in a CDI image and this game has 46 CD-DA tracks, so it can't be used.

- I can't find the original patch released by translator. Searching in the google, I found that the game was translated by a guy named "Irvgotti452" for ReviveDC Project. To patch the GDI, I needed to convert a patched CDI found easily in the google. So, this translation doesn't have an original "Readme" file. But I know that the original translator is really Irvgotti452, because in main binary (1ST_READ.BIN) there's a reference to his name. If you want to know more about this translation, please go to translator's blog here:

https://theirvgotti452.wordpress.com/fire-pro-wrestling-d/

- I'll NOT fix any grammar errors, typo and something like that if you find them in a translation. Please, report the errors/issues/bugs like that to original translator, so he can make an update patch to fix them.

- This game still uses the "J" (Japan) region. The translators used a hacked CDI where the region is free (JUE) coded in the hacked IP.BIN, but I didn't change the region in the original IP.BIN.

- Only the patched files were used in GDI. All other files remains untouched, preserving the maximum original quality.

GDI Patch created by Unknown Master (aka Master X)

TRANSLATION CREDITS:

Irvgotti452: Hacking and translation

Let me know if the patch is working. See ya!  :thumbsup:

P.S.: I'll organize all the links in the first post when I had some time, and I'll use some spoiler tags to decrease the size of my posts.  :)

EDIT: Patch added to the first post.

- I can't find the original patch released by translator. Searching in the google, I found that the game was translated by a guy named "Irvgotti452" for ReviveDC Project.

Hope it wasn't too much work to do this, in all honesty you could of copied over like 95% of the 1st_read.bin lol. But thanks for doing this, I appreciate that people still play this. Side note, I can't take full credit for the hacking. A good part of it was done by the great YZB and comradesnarky.  8)

ecto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 08:03:43 am »
Thanks again for your work. I am really happy to have those GDIs/CHDs instead of CDIs.

Now that you have so much experience, would you think that it is possible to convert any CDI to GDI? Im especially interested in an Propeller Arena GDI...

Master X

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 03:54:19 pm »
Now that you have so much experience, would you think that it is possible to convert any CDI to GDI?

Yes, it's possible to convert any CDI to GDI. However, in order to do this, you must have some knowledge about how GD-ROM format works, how the GDI tracks works, and how the main binaries works on these tracks (especially IP.BIN, IP0000.BIN and 1ST_READ.BIN). Normally, CDI images has the main binaries hacked properly in order to make a selfboot game, and these hacked files cannot be used to create a valid GDI. It's necessary to fix them first, and probably it's because of this we don't see many CDI to GDI convertions, it's not an easy task, but it's not impossible to do.

Im especially interested in an Propeller Arena GDI...

I converted Propeller Arena CDI to GDI format a few months ago. AFAIK, this game was released in CDI format only... Until now! So, for you and for those who wants to play this game in a GDI format, it can be downloaded here:

Propeller Arena: Aviation Battle Championship (GDI)
Size (397.99 MB): https://www.mediafire.com/file/f9zzs5u759f5npg/Propeller_Arena_GDI.7z/file

I tested this game using nullDC v1.0.4 and DEmul v0.7, and the game is working perfectly!

MD5 Hashes:

track01.bin: EDD5EEB4214F5820E1E886947A29E5E8
track02.raw: 03C796F60DB2E9EF0B65A42A47A9D321
track03.bin: D3FB391E6CAA7778AF83E12A6856729A

Final Notes:

* The game is checked as region-free (JUE).
* The game is checked to enable VGA support.
* The game has all tracks valid according GD-ROM specification.

The download link will be in the first post too. Enjoy another exclusive Dreamcast game in GDI format for the first time!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:44:08 am by Master X »

Chronx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 10:36:25 pm »
Is there any chance you would be able to make one of these for the Half-Life port on Dreamcast?

ecto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2021, 05:37:29 am »
This is really, really great work! Thank you so much!
I've been on the lookout for PA in GDI format for a very long time now, but there is nothing to be found. I really don't like those cdi files as they take up so much space! Finally I can reast easy with my freshly converted Propeller Arena CHD. :beer:

Master X

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 10:42:35 am »
Is there any chance you would be able to make one of these for the Half-Life port on Dreamcast?

Hello, and sorry for delay. Yes, I can create a *.gdi for Half-Life port, but long time ago, this game has been released in *.gdi format already, so I don't see any sense make a new *.gdi for it, I'm sorry... But if you can't find it, let me know, and I'll try to help you.

This is really, really great work! Thank you so much!
I've been on the lookout for PA in GDI format for a very long time now, but there is nothing to be found. I really don't like those cdi files as they take up so much space! Finally I can reast easy with my freshly converted Propeller Arena CHD. :beer:

You're welcome! This game was released long time ago only in *.cdi format, I didn't see a *.gdi for this game in any place, so I decided to create one. I hope you enjoy the game, it's really very fun!

There are some GDI translation patchs/conversions to be released yet, so keep the eyes in this topic. I'll try to release them as soon as possible, because I'm very busy these days.

See ya!

streeker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:09 am »
Hello, and sorry for delay. Yes, I can create a *.gdi for Half-Life port, but long time ago, this game has been released in *.gdi format already, so I don't see any sense make a new *.gdi for it, I'm sorry... But if you can't find it, let me know, and I'll try to help you.

AFIAK, the available .gdi of "Half-Life" is a prototype version that dates from 2001-04-20. The original .cdi is actually a later build from 2001-05-23. That means, a proper cdi->gdi conversion of this "final" version is still needed, right?

Master X

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 08:25:52 am »
AFIAK, the available .gdi of "Half-Life" is a prototype version that dates from 2001-04-20. The original .cdi is actually a later build from 2001-05-23. That means, a proper cdi->gdi conversion of this "final" version is still needed, right?

Hi, streeker. I always thought that the only version of Half-Life port for Dreamcast was the prototype version released as *.gdi earlier. I didn't know about another version dated from 2001-05-23.

So, I did a search about Half-Life ports for Dreamcast yesterday and I found this "final" version, released by Xanadu in 2003-10-01, named as "Half-Life (May 23, 2001 prototype)", in *.nrg format. I saw another repacked version released by DCRES group, it seems the same version released by Xanadu, but in *.cdi format. I analyzed both versions and the IP.BIN is named as "CRAZY TAXI", and, the flag about WINCE game is unchecked as well (the first prototype has the flag for WINCE checked).

In my tests here, I used the version in *.nrg released by Xanadu (because is older than DCRES release) to repack into a new *.cdi by myself to get all tracks correctly and convert it to a new *.gdi.

Are you talking about this version?

streeker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 10:44:59 am »
Yes, exactly. The .nrg of the May 2001 prototype should be the "final" version. Back in the day it hasn't been released as .gdi for obvious reasons... CD-Rs were still the only common way to have these prototype releases playable on real hardware. 

Master X

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 09:00:40 pm »
Hello, peoples!

After the user streeker tell us about a "final" version of Half-Life prototype in his post, I downloaded it. The latest prototype was released in *.nrg format and selfbootable by Xanadu in 2003-10-01. This version contains some updated files made in 2001-05-23, especially the file named as HALFLIFE_DC.EXE, and because of this, many peoples consider it the "final" version of this game. I had to convert this *.nrg image into a new *.cdi image to get all tracks correctly, because *.nrg image is awful to work with.

Extracting the boot sector and analyzing it, some flags like "WinCE" was disabled, the game was being identified as "CRAZY TAXI". Probably the guy that created the selfboot image used a boot sector from Crazy Taxi game, I suppose. It took me a while, but finally the Half-Life GDI using the latest released files can be downloaded here:

Half-Life (May 23 Prototype) GDI:
Size (253.68 MB): https://www.mediafire.com/file/b1hra799mxtorsr/Half-Life_%2528Latest_Prototype%2529_GDI.7z/file

I tested this game using Flycast Emulator and DEmul v0.7, and the game is working perfectly! Unfortunately my modded Dreamcast is broken and I need to fix it in order to make my tests directly in the original console.

MD5 Hashes:

track01.bin: D66E543205307194F83ABEB05E234B29
track02.raw: 87AF6D21A8B10AEFFB90874118531E29
track03.bin: 89D664BF00A4C4FF1725A28C306848B3
track04.raw: 3A892DB029C4B1BA6ED24CCDAF5CFF62
track05.bin: 98FDC830F755F49CE01EBBDD6233BA05

Final Notes:

- The game is checked as region U, like the game should be, if it had been officially released.
- The game is checked to enable VGA support. I tested in both emulators and the game runs fine in VGA mode.
- The game is checked to be WinCE compatible.
- The game has all tracks valid according to GD-ROM specification.

The download link will be in the first post too. Enjoy another exclusive Dreamcast game, now in GDI!

streeker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 02:41:44 am »
Wow, that was fast!
Thanks a lot, Maxter X!!