News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Controls Fix?  (Read 1296 times)

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
Ninja Gaiden SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Controls Fix?
« on: January 06, 2021, 10:55:25 am »
So the prototype of Ninja Gaiden for the Genesis/Mega Drive has unfinished controls. As a result when you walk forward on the game, the character will automatically move down.

This is a hinderance when playing the game as the level layout requires some precise control movement.

I came across a youtube video where someone seemingly fixed the controls for the game, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4amZAh-xnw

As you can see by the gameplay of the video, the controls of the game are much nicer!

However it seems that the person behind that video does not have the fix for the game.

So would it be possible for it to be re-created? Just a simple IPS patch for fixed controls and such so everything works properly.
Super Sonic Speed!

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja Gaiden SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Controls Fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 11:25:17 am »
Dude, your "begging for patches while not trying to learn how to make them by yourself" topics belong here
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=3282.0
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:52:24 pm »
To be fair I am asking about something that technically already exists based on the video.

Maybe soneone has the patch or can re-create it.
Super Sonic Speed!

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:37:10 pm »
If you'd like to get started hacking for the Genesis begin by looking up 68k assembly, and get a debugger like Regen that will convert hexadecimal to assembly. There's probably a good guide to handle controls for sega genesis games so you can jump to the coding that deals with controls when you set a bunch of breakpoints after pressing the d-pad. If you've never done any rom hacking it will probably be hard at first, but maybe after a few months or a year you can solve your problem. Good luck!
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:54:17 pm »
I came across a youtube video where someone seemingly fixed the controls for the game, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4amZAh-xnw

As you can see by the gameplay of the video, the controls of the game are much nicer!

However it seems that the person behind that video does not have the fix for the game.

I don't understand -- how could they play the game and not have it? Did they delete the ROM or something?

If you can get the fixed ROM you can easily recreate the patch -- that's exactly what a patch creation program does. It looks like someone named "Segaman" is responsible for the fix, and someone by that name was affiliated with Piko Interactive at some point.

FUTURA

• Blast Processing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 10:26:13 am »
I don't understand -- how could they play the game and not have it? Did they delete the ROM or something?

If you can get the fixed ROM you can easily recreate the patch -- that's exactly what a patch creation program does. It looks like someone named "Segaman" is responsible for the fix, and someone by that name was affiliated with Piko Interactive at some point.

I asked and they said they no longer had the rom, that they sold it and it will only be obtainable/buyable as a physical cartridge. So I really don't know what's going on with it.
Super Sonic Speed!

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:07 pm »
If you end up getting a physical cartridge you can extract the ROM and patch that way. There's plenty of programs that do that.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds