News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: About Paprium  (Read 10677 times)

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
About Paprium
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:40:49 am »
Hello everyone, So i am planning on getting Paprium for the Sega Gen, and i did just get Sidney Hunter for the SNES. But the thing is sidney will not work on a clone system or a retro freak. And from what i am hearing Paprium will not ether for sega. So i am asking does anyone know what combo system that will play both in hdmi to save money? I have seen Sega to SNES converter adapters work on a SNES. But i got to play these two games in hd. Anyone have any ideas?

moonmaster1

• View Profile
Re: About Paprium
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 04:29:27 am »
To be as safe as possible with Paprium, I'd recommend a genesis model 2 with an OEM power adapter.

The difficult part about clone hardware is that some of them utilize emulation and Paprium utilizes encryption of some form. I tried to dump my cart the other week just for fun and was met with encrypted garbage.

Secondly, the game runs off what I assume is an FPGA and needs extra power provided by an original Sega Adaptor, otherwise you will be met with a black screen and having to make a trip to ebay like I did.

As far as a combo system goes, eh.... your mileage may vary, I'd hate to see you waste money on a gamble.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 10:54:28 am »
Dead simple solution?  SNES with RGB (the Jr. must be modded for this) using a RAD2x cable, but I think those cables are sold out.  Same with the Genesis (Model 2 to be safe for Paprium, kinda wish it would work on more Model 1 machines though).  Those cables are pretty much made for "I just want to hook up and play my game."

I think Analogue's stuff should work, and if it doesn't a firmware update will come along.  That would be even simpler if so, but also that's all sold out.  Yes, the entire Analogue store.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 10:23:55 am by Chronosplit »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 08:52:11 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.Also do you guys think this could work for paprium?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0piPeVZ5A

January 06, 2021, 12:21:27 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I also wonder if the Mega Retron can play paprium as well. If so i think that is the cheapest choice.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:21:27 am by Arcade-Elite »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:41:38 am »
FYI, it looks like RAD2X cables are back in stock.

SNES: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE
Genesis Model 2: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-2-GENESIS-2-32X-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-480P-CABLE

I also wonder if the Mega Retron can play paprium as well. If so i think that is the cheapest choice.
Nothing Retron would really be able to run anything special.  Those run on emulation, and since we know the emulator (if you remember the Retron 5 kerfuffle) we know it hasn't been updated to run Paprium.  That also goes for any software-based clone console, which honestly you shouldn't trust unless you made your own anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:55:22 am by Chronosplit »

Arcade-Elite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:00:34 pm »
So yeah since you have posted this i have been checking there website and there not ever instock, has *** marker saying there not in stock.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:45 pm »
So yeah since you have posted this i have been checking there website and there not ever instock, has *** marker saying there not in stock.
I saw a not in stock message later after I posted and I should've edited, either it was a fluke or it was all gone immediately. Either one is completely plausible with these things.  :(

my80chevette

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 02:07:28 am »
Actually the majority of clone consoles run a system on a chip and are hardware based. My Hyperkin Megaretron Hd runs everything I've thrown at it including Virtua Racing. Haven't gotten access to a Paprium cartridge to test it however so not sure on it.
FYI, it looks like RAD2X cables are back in stock.

SNES: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE
Genesis Model 2: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-2-GENESIS-2-32X-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-480P-CABLE
Nothing Retron would really be able to run anything special.  Those run on emulation, and since we know the emulator (if you remember the Retron 5 kerfuffle) we know it hasn't been updated to run Paprium.  That also goes for any software-based clone console, which honestly you shouldn't trust unless you made your own anyway.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2021, 05:00:07 pm »
Actually the majority of clone consoles run a system on a chip and are hardware based. My Hyperkin Megaretron Hd runs everything I've thrown at it including Virtua Racing.
Not sure why you're bumping this thread after six months or where you're getting your info from, but just because it runs everything you've thrown at it doesn't mean it doesn't use software.

A quick Google doesn't seem to suggest what the specs are, but it could easily have some sort of ARM chip running some sort of 68k emulator. It would certainly be cheaper (and probably more compatible) than designing a system on a chip.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 10:49:05 pm »
Yeah, I thought Hyperkin was known to use fan emulators and Virtua Racing emulation is certainly old by this point, so it wouldn't be too surprising if that was included.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018