News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Gurren Lagann NDS game now available in English!  (Read 3752 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Gurren Lagann NDS game now available in English!
« on: January 02, 2021, 11:52:53 am »

Update By: PhantomandGhost

This is the story of a man who has yet to realize what destiny holds in store for him..[/b]

A full English translation of the 2008 NDS game Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (based on the hit anime of the same name) has been released!

In the distant future, mankind has lived quietly and restlessly underground for hundreds of years, subject to earthquakes and cave-ins. Living in one such village are 2 young men: one named Simon who is shy and naïve, and the other named Kamina who believes in the existence of a “surface” world above their heads. The destiny of these two starts moving drastically when the ceiling of their village falls in, and a gigantic “Gunmen” and a beautiful girl named Yoko, wielding a superconductive rifle, come from the surface. Together, Kamina, Simon and Yoko ride the mecha “Lagann” that Simon digs out of the ground, and fly up to the surface!

A retelling of the anime’s storyline, the game features some alternative and exclusive content, including 3 new characters and an extra ending.

Fans may recognise two of the new characters, originally known as “Tetori” and “Ziggitalis” from the OVA (also known as Episode 5.5), which was bundled with the limited-edition release of the game and fan-subbed by Nyoro~n. In celebration of the patch release, they were remastered by the team and are available for download on Phantom’s tumblr.

Full of the humour, action and the boundless optimism that made the anime a hit, this game is a must-play for new or old fans alike!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

kaiisen

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Gurren Lagann NDS game now available in English!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:39:05 pm »
I'm really looking forward to play it, but I'm struggling so bad with the mechanics :( I assume you have to spin REALLY fast for Lagann's attack to reach 100%, I can't even get to 30% with mouse. I even got the as far as looking for a "always get 100%" kind of cheat, at least for that spin mechanic(I assume not all attacks are about spinning?), but there seems to be none.

Thank you very much for translating this, despite I suck at it :banghead:

and I was so good at Super Control Mecha MG. I guess the main problem with the mechanics here is that the stylus must be kept inside the rotating gear for it to be effective. It's quite hard to manage that if you have to spin it too fast, at least with mouse. Not to mention that it's a lot easier to rotate the mouse anticlockwise, but the game will only let you do it clockwise.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:52:38 pm by kaiisen »

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:11:41 pm »
Ah man im so happy to see an english translation of this one finally. I've waited years in hopes for this game. I played and finished the entire game years ago as is (japanese version) and i really loved it, just as much as the anime series.

It's really great to see this finally translated though now. :)

PhantomandGhost

• Anime Game Translator
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:57:39 am »
@Kaiisen: Don't worry, it's not just you! That attack is nigh impossible to pull off using a mouse, I ended up having to use a graphics tablet to get a good recording of it :laugh: I think it's a game that's best enjoyed on the original hardware, if you have the tools.

If not, there isn't an "always get 100%" cheat to my knowledge, but you could use the "reduce enemy HP" cheats to get through those first battles a bit easier, or try decreasing your emulator speed and spinning it that way. The good news is that you unlock the ability to swap skills fairly early on in the game, so you can avoid the 'Drill Tackle' & 'Drill Break' series which use that mechanic.

@Kuja killer: Thank you for your support! You might be intrested in some of the additional content bundled with the patch, including a cheat to get to the debug menu so you can quick-unlock Tetori if you didn't get her to stay the first time, and a hidden conversation in Chapter 04 that wasn't previously enabled  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 06:39:24 pm by PhantomandGhost »

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:14:46 pm »
Ah nice. I had that exact problem myself with the drill attack. Could never get he damn thing to move much.