• View Profile
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:44:20 pm »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:09:21 am by kuwert »

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Re: Lennus (SFC)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:52 pm »
I hope I'm not doing forum necromancy here but really wanted to leave some feedback, especially since it doesn't look like anyone else has.  I haven't played Lennus before.  I'm not a big RPG player, haven't played much in the way of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, let alone all the rest of the SNES RPG library, but Lennus has always fascinated me.  It reminds me of Phantasy Star (which I have played) but dreamlike and alien.  The kind of world that would really draw me in... but I heard the writing of the US release sucked.

Let me be very clear first: apart from being able to read kana, I have minimal Japanese knowledge. Having said that, playing around with the Japanese script gave me the feeling that there is a lot of unusual speech patterns throughout the game which went completely ignored. This would make sense to me, as the game's various races play a very important role in the story, and one might expect to hear different forms of speech throughout. This isn't the case in the US version, and nearly every single NPC speaks literal, proper English.

Again, I don't know much about the game but unusual, alien speech patterns sound like the perfect fit for the alien world I keep seeing in the screenshots.  If you intend on restoring those, or heck, just give the game a better translation in general, I'd love to play it.

Anyway.  I'm not sure how to help, but I would love to see Lennus properly translated and I wish you the best of luck doing so!

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:35:42 pm »
I don't want to be THAT guy, but if it is possible to expand the character limit for characters to six, I would do that. Also, is the font variable width font? Another thing I would do is to make the title a bit more readable.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:55:15 am by Hemlock »

kyuwert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 02:14:00 pm »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:09:16 am by kuwert »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:50:52 pm »
My ideal scenario is that I take on a "project lead" type of role since I have a vision of the end result, but there's only so much I can do.

I would continue to do as much as you can.
"Project lead" in fan translations is considered a "taking credit without doing much of the work" role, and rather frowned upon.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

kyuwert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 08:16:53 pm »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 10:09:12 am by kuwert »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 06:43:31 pm »
Loved this game for years, but yes it does need a retranslation, badly.

If you would like to try and learn some Japanese as relates to RPGs, I would say an ok starting point would be watching Tim Rogers' "Let's Mosey - A Slow Translation of Final Fantasy VII" on YouTube. He's funny, and intelligent, and his voice is nice.

Other than that, yeah, the 'idea man' business isn't gonna get you any takers around here. You're gonna have to buckle down and try to learn as much Japanese as you can, yourself, before anyone is gonna feel comfy coming along to help you.

I myself can barely order sake, so all I can say is I hope you don't give up on it, and good luck; we're all counting on you.
Yamero~~!