News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: America_Daitōryō_Senkyo - Finding text  (Read 1178 times)

Hanage

• View Profile
America_Daitōryō_Senkyo - Finding text
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:29:29 pm »
I can't find some of the text in this game; for example the save game text I circled in blue
(I want to translate it to 'save game?')

as well as the name of the President in the winning announcement

and examining the relevant area with a hex editor has proved fruitless.

These are the last barriers preventing me from completing this translation; I cannot overcome them without assistance.

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: America_Daitōryō_Senkyo - Finding text
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »
Have you tried relative searching or searching for text encoded in a different encoding system (Shift JIS, for example) using a hex editor with that feature?

You could also try save state hacking (or searching through a RAM dump) to see if the text is unencrypted in RAM, to get an idea of where to start looking. Below is a simple introduction to this:
https://fantasyanime.com/save-state-hacking

Do you know enough about the game that you at least have somewhere to start searching, such as an address on which you could put a read or write breakpoint in an emulator with a debugger, like pSX 1.13 or I think Duckstation? It will be easier for people to help you if you and they have somewhere to start.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: America_Daitōryō_Senkyo - Finding text
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:57:32 pm »
DO NOT EVER USE THE SCRATCHPAD UNLESS YOU ARE SUBMITTING A HACK FOR STAFF TO REVIEW

I don't know how much you've done, because I can't see your screenshots, because the Scratchpad is for Staff to view only.

If this is the same game I think it is, it seemed to have essentially a different font for each screen.
Because it is a kanji-heavy game on a console that is fairly poorly suited to kanji text.
So you are pretty much going to have a different tilemap for each screen.

Use the Tilemap viewer in FCEUX and see if that helps. Note the tile numbers for each tile in the tilemap, or else the tiles of the top-left character in each kanji.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018