News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help needed: Zelda 2 temple exit bug  (Read 1197 times)

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Help needed: Zelda 2 temple exit bug
« on: December 17, 2020, 03:43:44 pm »
Hi All,

I'm currently working on my Zelda II hack, Zelda II: Amida. I've encountered a very strange bug, that I can't seem to solve. Every time I try to exit the first temple after I've put in the crystal, the game crashes. It doesn't matter what exit I take, even if I backtrack all the way back to the beginning of the temple, it will still crash while exiting to the world map.

I've pinpointed this back to that the crystal placement must be the cause of this bug. Since, when I completely finish the temple without placing the crystal and trying to exit, it still works. Only when exiting after placing the crystal, the game crashes. When you place the crystal you have the candle and the power glove in your possession.

The room of the crystal statue is still situated in scene 13 of palace set A. You exit the temple to 63 pg1, just like in the original game.

So... Did anyone encounter this bug before? And so yes, is it known what causes this and how to solve it? I'm really stuck here.  :(

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed: Zelda 2 temple exit bug
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »
Are you seriously asking if anyone has encountered a bug in a hack that no one played except you?

Check your backup versions, find out which one started causing it, look through the changes.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Re: Help needed: Zelda 2 temple exit bug
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 03:34:27 am »
Thanks for your reply! I asked here, because it should be a common bug that almost anyone hacking Zelda 2 should encounter at some point. After a good night sleep I found the solution, which might be helpful to other people hacking Zelda 2. I also archived the solution in the Zelda 2: Amida topic. (see: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31926.0 )

Solution:
It was all caused by giving the player the candle before temple 1 and placing the power glove in temple 1. That way the game got completely confused when I placed the crystal in the pedestal while having the items of the first 2 temples from the original game. Using the function "change palace item" in the sideview editor of NJOSRO should solve the problem. Though it turned out my version of the editor was bugged too, so it didn't set the palace item correctly. So, using an older version of the editor finally solved this issue. Link can now leave the first temple and continue his quest!