News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros - High jump off enemies hack?  (Read 1301 times)

jojo_f

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros - High jump off enemies hack?
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:27:13 am »
Hello. The concept of Mario getting a "high jump" off an enemy was a new gimmick in the USA with Super Mario 3 but I guess it was introduced with Lost Levels. Is there a "vanilla" hack of the original Super Mario Bros that implements this feature?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros - High jump off enemies hack?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:35:03 am »
Stomp seems to be the phrase of choice in
https://gist.github.com/1wErt3r/4048722 (a commented disassembly of Super Mario Brothers. Warning might slow your browser down somewhat loading that).

Line 11477 is probably where I would look it deals with speed/height after a stomp. Whether you can put a different number in there and get something fun going on (it is FD there, which if you are going to be increasing 8 bit numbers does not leave a lot of room, on the other hand if it is some kind of reverse/negative affair then seems far more apt) or are going to have to play assembly hacker to actually do something I don't know..
11439 and down dealing with stomping behaviours in general.

Even without the niceties of a disassembly then player speed should not be too hard to find and potentially manipulate (it will be tied somewhere fairly directly for the on screen location after all).

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros - High jump off enemies hack?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 10:56:13 am »
Hello. The concept of Mario getting a "high jump" off an enemy was a new gimmick in the USA with Super Mario 3 but I guess it was introduced with Lost Levels. Is there a "vanilla" hack of the original Super Mario Bros that implements this feature?
I assume you mean the jump where if your holding the jump button while stomping an enemy. It is fairly easy. you need to make a condition that tells the game your pressing A button during the stomping of an enemy. if so, it branches to the new mario bounce jump. AKA, high jump. if not pressing the A button, you don't get the high jump. Assuming you know asm I can message you how to do it but you will have to remove some of the residual code in the asm file because smb is very tight on space. Or I could just create the patch for you but honestly me showing you how would be better for you then just taking the easy way out.