News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: アザード/Azaado Damage meaning?  (Read 2908 times)

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
アザード/Azaado Damage meaning?
« on: December 17, 2020, 09:44:22 am »
Hey! I'm working on translating Digimon: D-1 Tamers. There are several broad categories of attack damage types:
バブル - Bubble
ボム - Bomb
クラッシュ - Crasher
マインド  - Mind
ノーマル  - Normal
アザード  - Azaado?

I can't figure out what アザード is suppose to be. The only thing I'm pulling up online is the name of a Star Wars Sith Lord.

My guess is that it's suppose to sound like "Hazard", for poison/paralysis type attacks. Has anyone else come across this word before in Japanese?

jackic

• View Profile
Re: アザード/Azaado Damage meaning?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:51 am »
Could It be hazard?

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 12:31:35 pm »
Jackic: That's my working assumption - I just wanted to check to see if anyone had seen it in other games and knew what it was suppose to mean.

Viewer

• View Profile
Re: %u30A2%u30B6%u30FC%u30C9/Azaado Damage meaning?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 09:59:23 pm »
Having a quick look at a Digimon wiki, it appears that the Japanese do write "hazard" (as in Digital Hazard) as one might expect.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 10:35:06 pm »
Viewer: Right, and that does give me pause (hence, posting this topic). That said, it *is* katakana, so there's the possibility the game writers "sounded out" the word Hazard incorrectly. I think I'll leave it as Hazard for now, and if I come across any information in-game that gives me more context, I'll reassess. Thanks for the link!

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 03:23:09 pm »
It's a long shot, but it could also be "othered".

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:04 pm »
バブル - Bubble
ボム - Bomb
クラッシュ - Crasher
マインド  - Mind
ノーマル  - Normal
アザード  - Azaado ?

What each "element" does? It could be an exclusive Digimon term, so you probably should stick with "Azad" unless it has more definitive term, like what does Azad actually do.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 10:45:34 pm »
Tomato: That's a possibility - only a few attacks are described that way, so it may be "other". I'll keep it in mind!

Zynk: They're not so much "elements" as they are physical descriptions/categories of attacks. For instance - there's a headbutt attack which is listed as ノーマル/normal because it's a physical attack anyone could do. However, both fireballs and ice blasts are listed as クラッシュ/crasher attacks because they "crash" into the enemy. I haven't gotten far enough in the game to see which attacks are listed as アザード/Azzado (attacks, attack descriptions, and Digimon names are stored in different orders internally), so hopefully that will provide a clue about what it's suppose to me.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 10:44:44 am »
How do other games in the series localize the word? Maybe it's a name of something specific to the setting?

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 12:06:08 pm »
Guadozoku: Good idea! Unfortunately, this term is new to D-1 Tamers; it's a simplification of the element system from the prior game (which I also translated). It may carry over in the sequel, but that'd be the same problem.

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 02:27:49 pm »
Hey there. First thing that came to my mind when I was reading your post title was that « Azaado » might refer to « Hasard ». Its a french word that refer to something being random like dice games or slot machines which are said to be « jeux de hasard ».

You will probably find out when using the skills which belong to the « Azaado » category.
La forêt... en pleine Beauce

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 04:33:46 pm »
Grandpaf: I hadn't even thought of the other meaning of "hazard", like random or chance. Thank you! That's another possibility I'll keep in mind.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 01:51:43 pm »
In case anyone was wondering, I finally got more context on this. It seems to be referring to environmental hazard damage - like, hitting an enemy with rockslides, lightning, or tornados.

Scarabay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 01:35:21 am »
If アザード is a type of attack it could possibly be something chemical\toxic like acid or gas. Is there anything of these in the game?

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 08:53:46 am »
In case anyone was wondering, I finally got more context on this. It seems to be referring to environmental hazard damage - like, hitting an enemy with rockslides, lightning, or tornados.

So maybe "disaster" would be a better word for it? "Natural disaster" is far more common then "environmental hazard."

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 11:13:43 am »
Guadozoku: I think the difference would be that "natural disaster" implies something happening on its own or around the battle arena. The attacks are being caused by the Digimon directly, so I want to convey that intention with the naming. That said, I have to fix it into 10 letters, so I won't be using either "Natural disaster" *or* "environmental hazard" specifically. Thanks for the feedback!

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 06:10:50 pm »
"Nat. Hazard" and "Env. Hazard" wouldn't work?