News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: New to rom hacking and I need advice.  (Read 592 times)

Mina Moon

• View Profile
New to rom hacking and I need advice.
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:33 am »
So I have been into the Gundam anime series for nearly 20 years now, and have gotten several of my friends into the series as well. One of my friends had purchased a Gundam game on the DS titled "SD Gundam G Generation DS". He can't figure out how to navigate the game's menus too well. He also hasn't seen all of the Gundam shows the game covers in it's story, so he is completely lost. Considering I can read all Japanese scripts (Except Kanji) with much proficiency, I figured it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for me to translate the game. However I am new to rom hacking and don't know how to edit text or how to extract scripts, so some advice and help on where to start would be very useful.

iridium_ionizer

• The universe is complicated. Get used to it.
    • View Profile
    • Iridium Ionizer's Retro Projects
Re: New to rom hacking and I need advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:55:58 pm »
First, you should probably read this post (Getting Started) and at least skim some of the information linked within. The FAQ has several sections aimed at people wanting to undertake translation projects.

Next, I would try to do make a smaller contribution first. Try answering a Help Wanted section. Maybe there is a ROM hacker that only needs a small amount of non-kanji Japanese text translated. Japanese to English translators are definitely in demand.

You should read through some posts on both this Script Help and Language Discussion board and also read some of the larger threads about lengthy translation projects on the Personal Projects or ROM Hacking Discussion boards. See what people are saying and see what typical obstacles are in the process. You probably need to get a feel for the workflow before you begin your magnum opus.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 05:25:15 pm by iridium_ionizer »