News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Adding headers to NES ROMs for patching  (Read 1230 times)

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
Adding headers to NES ROMs for patching
« on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:26 am »
I found that some NES patches require headers. What's a program I can use to add them and remove them?
free sluffy

knight0fdragon

• View Profile
Re: Adding headers to NES ROMs for patching
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 03:41:43 am »
Almost every NES game has the nes header.  Usually if it is .NES. then it will have an iNES header or an iNES 2.0 header.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:53:43 am »
NES headers are the first 10 bytes of the rom. They can be added and removed easily in a component hex editor. FCEUX has the option to modify a header too. Aside from verifying a hash from the dat-o-matic, you don't have a reason to remove it. It's not like with the SNES where the 200 byte copyheader is useless nowadays. Every NES patch should assume the rom is headered.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 11:27:50 am »
I found that some NES patches require headers.
Can you give a particular example?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:17 am »
I'm surprised you need an example, Jorpho. Seems like you've been here long enough. :P

I think someone is confused. EVERY NES ROM, unless it's some ultra weird format almost nobody knows about (Pasofami), has a header.

It is SUPER NES where headers are optional (and at this point, it is extremely out of date and should only be done on Super Mario World hacks and only because for some the reason the one level editor for it has required them for god only knows what reason. Even in 2000 it should've been reasonable to make them optional. :P )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 11:17:00 pm »
I'm surprised you need an example, Jorpho. Seems like you've been here long enough. :P

I think someone is confused. EVERY NES ROM, unless it's some ultra weird format almost nobody knows about (Pasofami), has a header.
Yes, if M. Dzumeister is thinking of SNES ROMs, then that would resolve the confusion.  :P
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!