News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mario Memories (SMB Hack)

Started by ThroughT1m3, December 11, 2020, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: frantik on March 21, 2022, 10:42:32 PM
wow looks like some pretty cool additions have been added to this hack!  quite a variety of different power ups.  I like the bullet bill attack and swimming ability
thank you so much :beer: awesome coming from you. How did you make one solid ground block instead of the repeating cracked bricks?
"Keep dodging lights, like a thief in the night. The sun will rise and expose all our lies. So why deny that you and I lead different lives? The rivers from your eyes can't change my mind"

frantik

Quote from: ThroughT1m3 on March 21, 2022, 11:00:53 PMHow did you make one solid ground block instead of the repeating cracked bricks?

Do you mean having a different tile for the very bottom row?

cpx #$0b
          bne EndUChk                ;if we're at the bottom of the screen, override
          lda #$54                   ;old terrain type with ground level terrain type
          sta $07

i think you gotta mess with the code in this area

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: frantik on March 22, 2022, 05:39:32 PM

cpx #$0b
          sta $07

yep. That looks like what im talking about. Thanks. One thing i did was removed the edges from the tree platform and that worked also.
"Keep dodging lights, like a thief in the night. The sun will rise and expose all our lies. So why deny that you and I lead different lives? The rivers from your eyes can't change my mind"

ThroughT1m3

progress has been a bit slow lately but i managed to add active "time of day". goes from morning, afternoon, evening, night and midnight. sped up to demonstrate. :beer:

ThroughT1m3

added mud traps that slow mario's movement and lowers his jump height. also added muddy color for mario.

Added swimming gifs to main post

kicked shells can now hit coin blocks, grow power ups and destroy bricks

ThroughT1m3

today, I made upside down pipes the player can enter.

Amilgi

What's the movie song you're looking to add?
I can't help much with the hacking specifics but I can try making a cover in FamiTracker for you to use/reference.

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: Amilgi on April 22, 2022, 05:10:10 PM
What's the movie song you're looking to add?
I can't help much with the hacking specifics but I can try making a cover in FamiTracker for you to use/reference.
sweet. i will pm you.

Vanya

Amazing! This is coming along great!

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: frantik on March 22, 2022, 05:39:32 PM

cpx #$0b
          sta $07

i was curious if you could tell me how to go about adding an intro screen. i tried a few times but could figure it out

Quote from: Vanya on April 22, 2022, 06:06:48 PM
Amazing! This is coming along great!
thank you so much! i was thinking about removing the infinite lives from mario memories because today, for fun, i created a smb hack that has the game over menu like SMB2J and when you select an option it makes the coin sound. really cool. but not sure if it will make the cut for mario memories. Probably just release it as a improvement or something.  :beer:

edit:  the game over menu hack is a stand-alone patch that has been submitted and approved.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6772/

(sweeeeet! upside down piranha plants with different palette and two different upside down pipes)

(item shop at the end of each world)

Amilgi

Finished a simple cover of the music (link) you wanted for the ending
.nsf and .0cc FamiTracker module (should work in vanilla FT too):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aEwtTVSOFjFU9JHh3LmBH-X49U0ces5_?usp=sharing

Best of luck hacking it in :beer:
If you find having the module/.nsf formatted differently would help (eg. only using instruments instead of only fx/volume control) just let me know and I can adjust it

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: Amilgi on April 25, 2022, 08:57:33 PM
Finished a simple cover of the music (link) you wanted for the ending
.nsf and .0cc FamiTracker module (should work in vanilla FT too):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aEwtTVSOFjFU9JHh3LmBH-X49U0ces5_?usp=sharing

Best of luck hacking it in :beer:
If you find having the module/.nsf formatted differently would help (eg. only using instruments instead of only fx/volume control) just let me know and I can adjust it
absolutely stunning work :thumbsup:thank you so much. Will let you know whennit comes time for me to hack the music. Of course if i can use your work i will credit you  :beer:

diablo666

Honestly, I started following your project quite recently, and I was really surprised by the fact that he has quite a LOT of progress.

I am waiting for his speedy birth, because it all looks interesting, professional and delicious. To you and your project: Development and That a lot of positive words go to this. And to you: good luck and blessings  :thumbsup: :beer:

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: diablo666 on May 01, 2022, 02:28:38 AM
Honestly, I started following your project quite recently, and I was really surprised by the fact that he has quite a LOT of progress.

I am waiting for his speedy birth, because it all looks interesting, professional and delicious. To you and your project: Development and That a lot of positive words go to this. And to you: good luck and blessings  :thumbsup: :beer:
thank yo very much. I really appreciate it. Plan to put in some more work today or tomorrow. I am glad you like what has been done so far.  :beer:

tygerbug

Here are some unused Mario sprites from SMB1, recreated.

There is evidence that the Mario Bros enemies were intended for Super Mario Bros.

https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Super_Mario_Bros.
https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros.

Unused enemies include a Koopa who mans a cannon. The Koopa Troopa was also supposed to come out of his shell when hit, wearing a white t-shirt, as in Mario Bros arcade.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/arcade/mariobros/sheet/93677/
https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/mariobros/sheet/64512/

The game would also have had side-scrolling space shooter sequences, similar to the vehicle shooter scenes in Super Mario Land. Here, Mario would ride a cloud and hurl fireballs at enemies in the clouds. Mario's riding cloud resembles Bowser's flame from the final game. The graphics could actually be reused.

Googie

This is gonna be gangsta when it's done.  :D  ;)  :laugh:

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: Googie on August 17, 2022, 07:53:34 PMThis is gonna be gangsta when it's done.  :D  ;)  :laugh:
thanks  :beer: sadly due to life this hack is on hold for now until i find seriius help to work on it or until i find the inspiration to keep going. Have not been in the mood as of late

Googie

Gotcha, my life is hectic right now that I can't go full steam on my projects. If you ever want help in the future I can make some levels for you on a vanilla ROM and pass it to you. ;)

Vanya

It's really looking amazing as is.
There's more than enough already to make a kick-ass new game.

If you decide to get back to it, what sort of help are you looking for?

ThroughT1m3

Asm work relating to the mmc3 mapper. Stuff like that. Not sure when i will pick this back up. Life is hitting me pretty hard right now