News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mario A New Day (SMB Hack)  (Read 5802 times)

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
Re: Mario A New Day (SMB Hack)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2020, 10:50:59 am »
Kicked shells now collect coins. working on making kicked shells grow power-ups from blocks :D

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2020, 04:16:47 am »
Speaking of which, I now have it where the timer is frozen until getting the transparent Mario power-up, then it starts to decrease. Good sign. but now I need to figure out how to get it to load the appropriate time limit, and not kill mario once reaching zero. some decent progress. Thanks for the great idea :beer:

I assume you've got doppelgangers's disassembly?  The timer routine is at
 $b74f-$b7a3 in nes memory or 0x375f - 0x37b3 in the rom file, called RunGameTimer in the disassembly.   The code to kill mario is at the end of that subroutine
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:36:06 pm by frantik »

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 08:16:01 am »
I assume you've got Karatorian's disassembly?  The timer routine is at
 $b74f-$b7a3 in nes memory or 0x375f - 0x37b3 in the rom file, called RunGameTimer in the disassembly.   The code to kill mario is at the end of that subroutine
Thank you. it is doppleganger's disassembly. yeah I figured it out. Now after getting the transparent mario, the timer decreases then once it reaches zero, it resets. game will have infinite time and lives. Since my game won't be using the loop command, I was able to DL the SMB2J disassembly and rip the code for the skid sound fx and rework it for SMB. Sounds cool. :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 09:06:00 am by ThroughT1m3 »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 12:36:22 pm »
sweet!

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2020, 06:56:18 pm »
sweet!
Now I just have one thing to work out then I can finish the graphics. I created upside down pipes using the l pipe with the side pipe thing. So no I have to figure out how to put p plants in them. I figured just using the routine used for regular pipe plants but just mirroring them somehow. once finished with that, I can finish the graphics. after the graphics I can do the levels. Then I have to figure out two major things, expanding the rom to add a new title screen and adding animation. my animation is broken now. those to major things are gonna be tough. I got my work cut out for me  :D
 right now my animation patch goes from frame 1 to 4 then to 3 then back to 4 and 1 real fast. soooo that sucks. ha

December 21, 2020, 04:48:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Workin' on the level design. tough due to the type of game and power ups. working on a wall jump power-up. may or may not add it.  :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:48:45 pm by ThroughT1m3 »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 08:19:14 am »
right now my animation patch goes from frame 1 to 4 then to 3 then back to 4 and 1 real fast. soooo that sucks. ha

You get this sorted out?  The easiest way is to use the game timer and some bit shifting.  And wall jump power up could lead to some cool level designs.. Mario Gaiden! 

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 11:39:06 am »
You get this sorted out?  The easiest way is to use the game timer and some bit shifting.  And wall jump power up could lead to some cool level designs.. Mario Gaiden!
I thought I had it figured out but the animation timing didn't seem very smooth and when I hit a question mark block the animation sped up like 60% then went back to normal. But I just scrapped it and transferred my game to MMC3. game works great with MMC3. Might try to find someone who can teach me how to write up a chr switching routine. Since I have more space I now have the flagpole and loop command back in my game. but doubt they ill be utilized. I got the wall jumping working but may use it in my later game(s).

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 12:21:23 pm »
You've done pretty cool technical stuff, considering it's your first real hack, not some kindergartening with bytes.

I can give you a couple of tips about chr bankswitching.

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2020, 02:03:10 pm »
You've done pretty cool technical stuff, considering it's your first real hack, not some kindergartening with bytes.

I can give you a couple of tips about chr bankswitching.
thank you. any help is appreciated. I looked into it a bit but been busy the past week. But now im ready to work on it some more

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »
I thought I had it figured out but the animation timing didn't seem very smooth and when I hit a question mark block the animation sped up like 60% then went back to normal.

It sounds like maybe the animation routine gets called too often? I put mine in the area where the coin palette rotation was

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2020, 02:41:04 pm »
It sounds like maybe the animation routine gets called too often? I put mine in the area where the coin palette rotation was
ahhh I see. I got learn to write a routine. I was just using a animation patch I found. it would turn the game into cnrom. but now my game is using mmc3 I should be able to write a routine. I was curious how you incorporated upside down plants in your game. i made upside down pipes by removing the data that was used to draw the l part of the l pipe. i was thinking maybe ripping the upside down pp code from 2j and trying to rework it for smb. but not sure how hard that would be as apposed to a different technique others have used. 

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2020, 10:33:41 pm »
I changed the code for the L-shaped pipes to instead display the upside down pipes.  I also changed the tiles for the L-shaped pipes to have the upside down pipe ends.. in SMB2j they just use the same pipe end for upside down and right-side up pipes.  Then for the red piranhas I copied a patch that added them as a new enemy, but put the code where I wanted it instead of where the patch put it.  I looked for the patch but couldn't find it unfortunately

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2020, 10:41:48 pm »
I changed the code for the L-shaped pipes to instead display the upside down pipes.  I also changed the tiles for the L-shaped pipes to have the upside down pipe ends.. in SMB2j they just use the same pipe end for upside down and right-side up pipes.  Then for the red piranhas I copied a patch that added them as a new enemy, but put the code where I wanted it instead of where the patch put it.  I looked for the patch but couldn't find it unfortunately
ok thanks I appreciate the help. I will figure it out sooner or later. right now I am messing with making the coins do something different then just giving a star. Maybe reach a coin limit then by pressing select and the a button at the same time it activates a star you can toggle on and off until the coins run out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:16:08 am by ThroughT1m3 »

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »
i'm not sure if this is the red plant patch i used but there's one in this post

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24898.msg343333#msg343333

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 09:32:40 pm »
i'm not sure if this is the red plant patch i used but there's one in this post

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24898.msg343333#msg343333
cool thank you! I am guessing I take a blank smb rom and patch it to see the changes the patch made in a hex editor, then compare my game to a unmodified smb rom next to the patch to store the changes into the appropriate place in my game? I will give it a shot.

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 10:25:25 pm »
yeah for the red plant I assume there's gonna be a change in the enemy jump table near $c882-$c8d5 ( 0x4892 - 0x48e5 in the file ) routine called  RunEnemyObjectsCore.. this will be a pointer to the location of the actual code.  Then you will be able to add it using SMBUtil as one of the "unknown" enemy options

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 03:34:46 pm »
yeah for the red plant I assume there's gonna be a change in the enemy jump table near $c882-$c8d5 ( 0x4892 - 0x48e5 in the file ) routine called  RunEnemyObjectsCore.. this will be a pointer to the location of the actual code.  Then you will be able to add it using SMBUtil as one of the "unknown" enemy options
I put all the data into my game where it should based on the blank nes file and the original SMB rom that was patched and it broke my game. It really should of worked. I double checked everything. Odd. So in the meantime I decided to put that to the side and learn more about asm and mmc3 chr swithcing. It is all overwhelming and needless to say I am in way over my head. :-\

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 05:03:28 pm »
yeah just take it one step at a time, and if you get frustrated, work on graphics or levels for a bit

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2020, 09:24:18 pm »
yeah just take it one step at a time, and if you get frustrated, work on graphics or levels for a bit
yea I gotta focus on things slowly. I basically been reading up on things. tonight I decided to make a system that gives you a new ability based on how many coins you have. there will be 4 as of now. basically for every hundred coins. setting it up is easy. I already have 2 done.  I just wish I new more about drawing to the status bar. maybe make a box that has four slots which contain little pictures representing each ability that gets checked off each time they get unlocked or something like that. 

sebastianangel

• you can always improve
    • View Profile
    • sega genesis
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 09:53:41 pm »
Hello, congratulations on your project! :crazy: I would like enemies to freeze certain parts of the path, making it difficult for Mario to move. ::)
It is already used in other games and I find it interesting,
keep up the good work!!!