News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mario Memories (SMB Hack)

Started by ThroughT1m3, December 11, 2020, 01:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: sebastianangel on December 29, 2020, 09:53:41 PM
Hello, congratulations on your project! :crazy: I would like enemies to freeze certain parts of the path, making it difficult for Mario to move. ::)
It is already used in other games and I find it interesting,
keep up the good work!!!
Thank you! could you elaborate on that a bit more? :beer:
"Keep dodging lights, like a thief in the night. The sun will rise and expose all our lies. So why deny that you and I lead different lives? The rivers from your eyes can't change my mind"

ThroughT1m3

my first post in this thread has been updated. check it out  :beer: just picked it back up after a long while. made some serious progress
"Keep dodging lights, like a thief in the night. The sun will rise and expose all our lies. So why deny that you and I lead different lives? The rivers from your eyes can't change my mind"

Googie

I love the progress, I'm keeping an eye out on this hack.  ;) :beer:

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: Googie on February 20, 2022, 03:24:34 PM
I love the progress, I'm keeping an eye out on this hack.  ;) :beer:
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I have many ideas that I will be implementing. if you have any ideas or things you would like to see let me know. right now i been messing with blocks that shrink and grow the player so the player can get through small areas and grow back up when he gets through the path. think of making it like that one item from the newer games, cant remember exactly, but when small after hitting the block you can run up the walls. not sure yet. Also experimenting with icy ground physics for one of the worlds. not really a tough task :beer: 

Cyneprepou4uk

It's been a year since we talked in Telegram. I wonder, are you skillful enough to make use of this CHR bankswitching code example now?

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: Cyneprepou4uk on February 20, 2022, 03:56:12 PM
It's been a year since we talked in Telegram. I wonder, are you skillful enough to make use of this CHR bankswitching code now?

:laugh: I actually just started hacking again. shortly after that I got extremely busy and just kinda gave up. but I am working on my skills more and more everyday so I will give it a shot. honestly, that routine is desperately needed in my game. if I break down the steps I would first change the header for more chr, reconfigure the configure file, then implement the routine and so on

NesDraug

I want to keepnan eye on this project. Looks really cool, I hope you find the time to finish it.

How's the status on the music? I've encountered a pretty (well almost) straightforward way of hacking the music. Maybe I can help.
✍️ Blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

💀 Join my crypt on discord:
https://discord.gg/Eb4HTSNzeg

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: NesDraug on February 21, 2022, 02:45:49 AM
I want to keepnan eye on this project. Looks really cool, I hope you find the time to finish it.

How's the status on the music? I've encountered a pretty (well almost) straightforward way of hacking the music. Maybe I can help.
well I basically reconfigured my smb hack to have smbj2's sound engine which isn't much different besides allowing skid and wind sfx but that's about all I have done. I haven't messed to deeply into music hacking I admit. any help would be most appreciated.  :beer:

NesDraug

Quote from: ThroughT1m3 on February 21, 2022, 09:38:57 AM
well I basically reconfigured my smb hack to have smbj2's sound engine which isn't much different besides allowing skid and wind sfx but that's about all I have done. I haven't messed to deeply into music hacking I admit. any help would be most appreciated.  :beer:

I'm not familiar with smb2j sound engine. But if the music headers and music data is stored in the same place as smb maybe it still works.

I've got a special disassembly I got from StudsX. So with the aid of famitracker (as a reference) and a tool simply called SMB MusicHelper and then one can do some asm magic.

What music would you consider? Something from the Mario franchise or completely different?

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: NesDraug on February 21, 2022, 02:06:53 PM
I'm not familiar with smb2j sound engine. But if the music headers and music data is stored in the same place as smb maybe it still works.

I've got a special disassembly I got from StudsX. So with the aid of famitracker (as a reference) and a tool simply called SMB MusicHelper and then one can do some asm magic.

What music would you consider? Something from the Mario franchise or completely different?
from what I can tell its literally the same thing besides it has skid sfx and wind sfx. so it should pretty much be the same thing. I had a few songs in mind but havent put too much thought into it. what is the special disassembly?

NesDraug

It's just a slightly modified version of "a comprehensive disassembly of smb" that makes it easier to add music.

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: NesDraug on February 21, 2022, 02:21:15 PM
It's just a slightly modified version of "a comprehensive disassembly of smb" that makes it easier to add music.
ohhh nice. I want some tracks from different nes and snes mario games but slightly altered. seeing as my game is called mario memories. also, one song that really needs to be in the game. maybe for the title screen, not sure yet. it is from one of my favorite movies. so i am not sure if that would be easy or possible due to it being in that format. it would take a musical ear for that

NesDraug

Do you have any musical background or do you need someone else to do it? Well, I really like your project so you can pm me and maybe I can help, perhaps create one track and show you.

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: NesDraug on February 21, 2022, 02:33:47 PM
Do you have any musical background or do you need someone else to do it? Well, I really like your project so you can pm me and maybe I can help, perhaps create one track and show you.
oddly enough i am a guitarist.  :laugh: buuuuut as the old saying goes, the only musicians that cant read music are guitar players haha so yeah, i know nothing about it pertaining to smb. so i will pm you about.

ThroughT1m3

key system and coin ability system have been added. get a certain amount of coins to improve certain player attributes. Working on mini mario's physics as well as wind/blizzard physics for the winter world. tying up loose ends with other things. May recruit another programmer but not sure yet.

hdofu

Wow another amazing looking Super Mario Bros hack.  This one could be giving Extra Mario a run for it's money.

ThroughT1m3

Quote from: hdofu on March 04, 2022, 01:25:24 AM
Wow another amazing looking Super Mario Bros hack.  This one could be giving Extra Mario a run for it's money.
thank you so much for the kind words i really appreciate it. It keeps me going and gives me inspiration to keep working hard on it. I have many great ideas for it. If there is anything you would like to see or know about it let me know.  :beer:

(updated the first post, added powerdowns)

(updated the first post, mario can now swim in holes with water, metal mario is required to swim in the lava)

ThroughT1m3

Just finished up work and testing for swimming in water holes and the metal mario power up. will update the first post with a gif or two either tonight or tommorow. really cool power up :beer:. ability:

"Metal Mario: used to swim in lava. without it, mario dies in lava. player stats are drastically reduced but enemies bump off of mario and only a certain amount hammers can kill metal mario. If mario swims in lava or collides with a firebar, for a short period after exiting the lava or collision with firebar, mario will turn red, indicating he is hot and enemies that touch hot mario die. after mario cools down, his original steel color returns and enemies now revert back to bouncing off of mario."

Added a color palette change when mario gets the toxic mushroom

ThroughT1m3

Just trying to push forward. new flower power-up that will destroy bricks collect coins and reward coins for killed enemies. hammer bros power-up will destroy certain blocks. trying to make the ground pound destroy certain bricks.

frantik

wow looks like some pretty cool additions have been added to this hack!  quite a variety of different power ups.  I like the bullet bill attack and swimming ability