News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Megaman Japanese style project.  (Read 41570 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Megaman Japanese style project.
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2021, 11:15:35 pm »
I'm wondering too, because I would like to add them to my MM7 Restoration hack.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2021, 04:13:02 am »
At last, DarkSamus has finished the job. Thank you so much.

I submitted the entry for the Redux version. Still can figure out how to restore Megaman mouthflapping in the "Die Wily!" in the US version.

Did the only thing that changed in this update was the title style?

See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2021, 09:10:49 am »
At last, DarkSamus has finished the job. Thank you so much.

I submitted the entry for the Redux version. Still can figure out how to restore Megaman mouthflapping in the "Die Wily!" in the US version.

An NES replacement instead of Famicom? And in the background of Junk Man's stage and the Game Boy that can sometimes be dug up with the Rush Search ? Here:

American version removed it:

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2021, 12:21:58 pm »
Are the subtitles for each game being inserted? Every original series game has its own subtitle

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2021, 01:06:04 pm »
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/722579165076783164/853359676993568768/mm7_jpn_style_logo_v2.zip

Permission Granted. Do whatever you want with this.

(A v1.1a for the USA version will be added. Blade133bo taught me how to restore Mega's lips.)

An NES replacement instead of Famicom? And in the background of Junk Man's stage and the Game Boy that can sometimes be dug up with the Rush Search ? Here:

American version removed it:

I asked for it too, but had no response whatsoever. I guess it's too much trouble doing a pixel art from scratch. I would like to go the extra mile: Put a PS1 and make Rush pop up a PSP instead of a GB for the MMAC port for PS2.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2021, 02:49:30 pm »
Just tried patching this over Mega Man 7 Restoration, and it seems to work correctly after a quick test! Sadly it ends up breaking Mega Man 7 Refit.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2021, 11:03:25 pm »
Just tried patching this over Mega Man 7 Restoration, and it seems to work correctly after a quick test! Sadly it ends up breaking Mega Man 7 Refit.
Just wanted to confirm this. Awesome new style, btw, thanks to the creator(s).

I'm wondering too, because I would like to add them to my MM7 Restoration hack.
Quick report, SCD: while Restoration was previously compatible with Refit, it currently breaks the title screen. I had the previous version so i can choose which title to keep, but at least with the new one, it isn't working.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 03:47:27 am by niuus »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2021, 04:06:07 pm »
Quick report, SCD: while Restoration was previously compatible with Refit, it currently breaks the title screen. I had the previous version so i can choose which title to keep, but at least with the new one, it isn't working.

The problem there is entirely with Refit. Refit replaces fonts and graphics, and those changes are not compatible with the Japanese style title screen graphics changes, which include ASM changes as well as new graphics. You'll get the same results if you patch the new title screen on top of standalone Refit. Incidentally, Refit and Restoration were never 100% compatible anyway, as the font changes from Refit and text updates from Restoration combined ended up causing at least a couple of lines of dialogue to bug out (Dr.WILLYY in the intro cutscene, and just before fighting Bass in Wily Castle 1).

Masaru

• lmao
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2021, 05:33:09 pm »
The problem there is entirely with Refit. Refit replaces fonts and graphics, and those changes are not compatible with the Japanese style title screen graphics changes, which include ASM changes as well as new graphics. You'll get the same results if you patch the new title screen on top of standalone Refit. Incidentally, Refit and Restoration were never 100% compatible anyway, as the font changes from Refit and text updates from Restoration combined ended up causing at least a couple of lines of dialogue to bug out (Dr.WILLYY in the intro cutscene, and just before fighting Bass in Wily Castle 1).
It's possible to make it work if you patch both refit and the restoration patch and build it with the source code

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2021, 09:27:20 pm »
It's possible to make it work if you patch both refit and the restoration patch and build it with the source code

You're absolutely right, I just tried building the patch from source with a pre-patched Refit+Restoration rom, and it worked. It reverted Refit's font change on the title screen, but it seems to have all worked correctly.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2021, 09:50:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Famicom was there in the US ROM I played 20 years ago.

lilpuddy31

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2021, 11:54:00 pm »
The Famicoms and Game Boy were only removed from the Legacy Collection 2 ports. They are present everywhere else

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2021, 07:50:34 am »
The Famicoms and Game Boy were only removed from the Legacy Collection 2 ports. They are present everywhere else

Yeah but why not an NES console replacement instead of Famicom console for SNES version ? :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 07:05:58 am by spotanjo3 »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2021, 03:53:27 am »
Incidentally, Refit and Restoration were never 100% compatible anyway, as the font changes from Refit and text updates from Restoration combined ended up causing at least a couple of lines of dialogue to bug out (Dr.WILLYY in the intro cutscene, and just before fighting Bass in Wily Castle 1).
I patched them but never before deeply played them, so i didn't knew.

Already noticed that Refit doesn't seem to play well with some patches. Here's my experience:

- Restoration version "Final" 06-25: works. Minor typos in two dialogs so far.

- Boss Select Pre-Text: works.
- Boss Select Pre-Text + MSU-1: soft locks on any Robot Master splash screen and plays Auto's Shop music on the background.
- MSU-1 v1.0 / 2.0: soft locks when you hit Burst Man with any weapon. It does not affect Freeze Man, Cloud Man, or Junk Man.

I am on the last boss fight in Restoration pre-new title screen. Funny enough i just noticed a new final version, i will move to the new one+MSU-1 OST as soon as i get my final password.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:47:27 pm by niuus »

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2021, 05:17:31 am »
If only Josephine Lithius released the individual patches of the Redux changes he was considering we would no longer need to merge the two hacks.

(I already sent a message to him asking what he could do.)

June 26, 2021, 05:32:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

What emulator are you using?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 05:32:42 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2021, 10:09:29 am »
I didn't know there was so much problems getting both the Restoration and the Refit hacks to work right together, they use to work somewhat alright when you combine them back then, I'm guessing the latest version of Refit changed some things that makes it incompatible with mine.

I updated the description in my hack alerting everyone that it's not compatible with Refit anymore. Sorry everyone, I didn't know.

The only thing I can think of is make a alternate patch for Restoration that will add the shorter charge time and the increased invulnerability from Refit.

That might be the better option, because I was thinking of getting help on re-localizing the script to be closer to the one from the Japanese version like the other users on here did with the SNES MMX games.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:27:18 am by SCD »

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2021, 11:16:09 am »
I didn't know there was so much problems getting both the Restoration and the Refit hacks to work right together, they use to work somewhat alright when you combine them back then, I'm guessing the latest version of Refit changed some things that makes it incompatible with mine.

I updated the description in my hack alerting everyone that it's not compatible with Refit anymore. Sorry everyone, I didn't know.

The only thing I can think of is make a alternate patch for Restoration that will add the shorter charge time and the increased invulnerability from Refit.

That might be the better option, because I was thinking of getting help on re-localizing the script to be closer to the one from the Japanese version like the other users on here did with the SNES MMX games.

The two patches do work correctly together, nothing game-breaking occurs. The only problem is that both patches try to update some of the same lines of text, so those lines appear garbled. The description of Rush Jet in Auto's shop is also broken. I compared the two roms in a hex editor, compared against vanilla MM7 to check. Refit rewrites a number of lines of text, because part of its custom font includes a new character for "r.", so all instances of "DR. WILY" and "DR. LIGHT" are replaced with "Dr.WILY" and "Dr.LIGHT" with no spaces, and a single character "r.". That led to some of the issues, like "Dr.WILLYY". Also, Refit replaces the item descriptions in Auto's shop with more descriptive ones.

For my personal use and curiosity, it was relatively easy to create a combined rom of both hacks, including the new title screen, without any of the text issues. I patched with Refit, removed the custom fonts and graphics (using the graphic compression/decompression tool to swap in vanilla MM7 graphics overtop of Refit), fixed/reverted the text issues with a hex editor using a vanilla MM7 rom as reference (leaving the item shop changes), then patched with Restoration, and repeated the process for any remaining text issues. I also changed two lines that always bothered me ("You better tell me who you are?" to "You better tell me who you are!", and "I gonna do what I should've done years ago" to "I'm gonna do what I should've done years ago").

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2021, 04:54:50 pm »
What emulator are you using?
Snes9x RX 5.0.0, which is where i leisurely play and take those screenshots. Whenever i find a bug, i go and confirm on bsnes to discard issues with the emulator.

Oh, but they do work. It is just those minor typos shown in the pictures (i added a pic with the one mentioned by G30FF).

That would be great. The reason i use Refit is mostly for a bit more dynamic gameplay when compared to vanilla, which i already finished fully with Restoration+MSU-1.

I certainly wouldn't mind keeping the charge animation from vanilla but removing the dorky 'shooting pose' from Mega (contrary to Refit which removes the buster charging animation), but maybe i'm dreaming too much.  ;D

Sounds great. All of the retranslations done for the Mega Man games have been a blessing.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2021, 06:03:04 pm »
Blade and I did some experiments with Restoration and Refit.

Restoration pretty much works. It would be a nice addition. And Someone could make a graphical decompressor for the JP version?

Rockman 7 would be be complete with this.

Refit is not FIT(pun) with the translation, and ironically, it FREEZES when using Freeze Cracker at Burstman (since it can't find his weakness animation).

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2021, 07:12:07 pm »
Blade and I did some experiments with Restoration and Refit.

Restoration pretty much works.
Looks very cool.

Refit is not FIT(pun) with the translation, and ironically, it FREEZES when using Freeze Cracker at Burstman (since it can't find his weakness animation).
That's what i commented previously. It happens only when you use MSU-1 on top of Refit.