News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman Japanese style project.  (Read 21355 times)

RealGaea

• View Profile
Re: Megaman Japanese style project.
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2021, 08:59:55 am »
Is this your best? Because it looks ROCKing awesome!

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
Okay. I tried my best.

I don't think I can improve this, I need someone much better at pixel art.
Main issue with GB Mega Man games is the lower resolution, there's small room for tiles. Also, I don't think using the NES gradients in the text looks good there.
It looks great, you did a good job on it.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2021, 11:41:31 pm »
My only criticism right now is that the "A" in "MEGA" looks like it might be a bit thin, but I can take a look at it later to see if there is anything I can do.

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2021, 05:29:03 am »
My only criticism right now is that the "A" in "MEGA" looks like it might be a bit thin, but I can take a look at it later to see if there is anything I can do.

I would love to see what you can do. And What about SFC/SNES version ?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 08:41:02 am »
I might attempt a MM&B title at some point in the near future.
🤩

kensuyjin33

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 07:45:50 pm »
I just improved the title a bit, so that it now looks a bit more like the NES titles, specifically use the megaman 10 title for reference.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2021, 09:11:30 am »
Great work everyone! I didn't reply to my PM because I've already too much work to do but it's nice to see your progress.

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2021, 09:45:21 am »
I just improved the title a bit, so that it now looks a bit more like the NES titles, specifically use the megaman 10 title for reference.

Neat! This is mock-up? I hope not.

SuxMenner

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:29 pm »
A while ago I had made some japanese style logos for all of the GB World games out of boredom, so if this is of use to any of you guys there you have it. Good luck on your projects boys.

January 19, 2021, 05:49:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is not great but better than nothing, indeed.

And there's a translation/graphics hack of Rockman and Forte to include a title screen in English, in both R&F and Megaman and Bass variants. Not bad but not legit to be honest. They look like garbage in my opinion, he said, so he took it upon himself to import a new title graphic he made in paint based on the GBA title art.

Credit by bookman the stinky. Never completed it The date was in May 2016. So he abandoned it.

Here:

Anybody wants to try it?

Decided to try my hands on it, currently still WIP though. I started with the font and now I'm moving onto the outlines of the logo, no promises but I'll try my very best.

January 20, 2021, 01:25:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok I got overexcited and ended up finishing it only a day after, I feel proud of it, I'm no rom hacker so I'm just sending it here in case someone can add it onto the game. Hopefully this inspires a better translation job to be done for Mega Man & Bass too that'd be awesome.

Edit: Fixed small details 2
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:17:53 pm by SuxMenner »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2021, 03:14:30 pm »
Holy moly! I'll restrain to submit the addendum today. I want that!

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2021, 03:41:29 pm »
A while ago I had made some japanese style logos for all of the GB World games out of boredom, so if this is of use to any of you guys there you have it. Good luck on your projects boys.

January 19, 2021, 05:49:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Decided to try my hands on it, currently still WIP though. I started with the font and now I'm moving onto the outlines of the logo, no promises but I'll try my very best.

January 20, 2021, 01:25:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok I got overexcited and ended up finishing it only a day after, I feel proud of it, I'm no rom hacker so I'm just sending it here in case someone can add it onto the game. Hopefully this inspires a better translation job to be done for Mega Man & Bass too that'd be awesome.

Impressive. And good job.

Almost perfect but look at an "S" should be like GBA version:

Again, good work!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 04:58:03 pm by spotanjo3 »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2021, 05:12:38 pm »
Definitely better than what we had, but I planned on basically downsizing and tracing the actual logo itself. I can see some discrepancies between it and this one (which is perfectly fine, I'm just a perfectionist. lol).

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2021, 07:00:37 am »
Don't leave Rockboard out too.  ;D It's very cute game. ;)

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2021, 08:37:52 am »
Edit: Fixed small details 2

User Blade133bo is working using your rendition.

Can you adapt the logo for this screen?

In the original SFC, is stretched.

January 21, 2021, 08:50:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Don't leave Rockboard out too.  ;D It's very cute game. ;)

You mean touching the logo a bit? Yeah, why not?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:50:51 am by RealGaea »

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2021, 02:08:31 pm »
User Blade133bo is working using your rendition.

Can you adapt the logo for this screen?

In the original SFC, is stretched.

January 21, 2021, 08:50:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You mean touching the logo a bit? Yeah, why not?

Cool. It is getting better.

Not bad for MegaBoard title. Neat but not perfect, thought. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 04:49:01 pm by spotanjo3 »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2021, 07:16:23 pm »
For some reason, the Rockman & Forte title has 23 colors. I don't know if it's due to using multiple layers (I haven't checked yet), but I downsized and color reduced the official logo (with some modifications) to an optimized, hand picked 23 color palette.

It's not done by any means, but it's just a start for now. It will need a lot of cleanup and manual tweaking, but I'm basically attempting to match the GBA logo.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2021, 08:23:27 pm »
For some reason, the Rockman & Forte title has 23 colors. I don't know if it's due to using multiple layers (I haven't checked yet), but I downsized and color reduced the official logo (with some modifications) to an optimized, hand picked 23 color palette.

It's not done by any means, but it's just a start for now. It will need a lot of cleanup and manual tweaking, but I'm basically attempting to match the GBA logo.

Looks very good, man!

Can you stretch it like this for this screen?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2021, 10:25:56 pm »

:o I look away just for a day, and now I come back to find two excellent versions of the logo! Thanks to both of you!
I think my imaginary ideal version sits somewhere between the two. Since you're going for authenticity here, I think it's great to have it match the official version from the GBA release as close as possible. However I would take a good thing that was achieved by SuxMenner by making it from scratch, simplicity of shapes and outlines, and apply it to the official one.

Maybe you're already considering what I'm gonna suggest now. Similarly to what I suggested for your Mega Man X logo, I think the transition to smaller resolution needs to shave off some of the outlines the higher resolution logo has.

Something I immediately noticed when comparing both version is the inner white outline on the official one. On a smaller resolution, I think it looks way better without it.

(Sorry for hacking on top of your work, I made this on a hurry to make my point. It's not respecting palette color numbers either.)

It would make it a bit closer to how the japanese in-game logo looks like too.

In fact, now that you already have the shapes and outlines from the downscaled american logo... From now on, I'd suggest you take the in-game japanese logo as a reference for any further decision on manual tweakings (palette and color adjustments, outlines, antialiasing, shadows)

Speaking of palette limits, you already know the drill and wisely considered it from the start. But I don't think SuxMenner did? (I tought it looked a bit too soft on the borders. Photoshop indexing is reading 42 colors from it)
Unfortunately, until someone hacks it into the game and confirms of the logo is actually composed (layers, palettes), we're just making guesses. My guess (and I repeat, GUESS) is that the graphics are all on the same layer, but it has at least two different sets of palettes, set depending on the tile.

Wow! I'm amazed someone worked a new logo into the game ALREADY! It certainly is an improvement over the one on the first post! However, since the source pic surpases palette limitations, it clearly suffered some compromises when inserted into the game. It has the same issues the one from the original post had, unbalanced color contrast and jagged outlines.

I wish we had the information he has on graphics/palette locations, and how the palette(s) are composed!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:49:57 am by acediez »

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2021, 06:45:56 am »
They looks great but the colors are too bright.

By the way, I noticed that in the original Japanese SFC version is properly because it is stretched.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:50:18 am by spotanjo3 »

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2021, 07:12:36 pm »
So, we've done the Game Boy games, we've done MM&B, and we've even done Rockboard... but what about this?