News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Megaman Japanese style project.  (Read 22062 times)

darthvaderx

• View Profile
Megaman Japanese style project.
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:19:58 am »
As some of you have already noticed I started launching some hacks in which I change the name and references from Rockman to Megaman but keeping the Japanese style in the title, unfortunately due to my limitations in romhacking I depend entirely on the work of others and I intend to do that until Megaman 7, it would look like this:

Of course, with the exception of MM1, all of them will have the option of subtitles.

Unfortunately MM7 will still be out of my capabilities, I will still have to learn a little more how to edit SNES texts and graphics, Megaman & Bass has already been done by other people:

And thankfully, the whole series X has already been hacked:

Finally, as I said, my resources are very limited and I will certainly need help from someone much more experienced, if anyone is interested I will be very grateful, I will soon post here the progress of my work, goodbye and thank you.

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:59:33 am by darthvaderx »
See my hacks channel including some of my works:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWashington2/videos

Pethronos

• View Profile
Re: Megaman Japanese style project.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:55:31 am »
Very interesting project!!

The good part is that almost all is already done. Save for Megaman 4 and a proper Megaman 3 title screen only patch (The current version is based on an old version of Kuja Killer's improvement patch). And Megaman 7, of course.

The ideal thing would be that japanese Rock4 and 5 were translated, for making them compatible with Puresabe optimization patches (or making those patches compatible with USA roms... I don't know wich is more difficult ;D )

I wish you luck with the Megaman 7 stuff! Really waiting for good news about that!! :D

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 08:25:19 am »
The first project, MM1 has already been done by SCD:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2742/

However, I made a small and subtle change, made patches compatible with European and American roms, should I submit them? How addendum or update?

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:19:37 am »
I think you can submit your own works as improvements, independent of the already existent ones.

There is a cosmetic issue in Megaman 4 logo. I'm sure you can fix it before releasing :D

RomHam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 10:56:27 am »
Hello! This looks nice. Are there any gameplay differences between this and the original roms?

rurouni30

• Maybe you understand...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:20:14 pm »
Some time ago I had suggested these projects. Seeing them complete and of this sleeper in all the titles of the saga is certainly something that cheers any mega man fan and appreciates the Japanese style and the Japanese dialog on text boxes. Almost a dream come true for this franchise.

Before the darthvaderx project existed, I had tried to venture into these same aesthetic modifications, but in some of the titles that needed to be changed to follow the same pattern line I unfortunately didn't succeed either.

The good thing about this trial and error process is that although I'm new to this part of the editor, I ended up learning a little about editing the hex text and in-game design (not everything, but some of the games). As well as darthvaderx I came across the same current problems in the color palette of some titles, such as Mega Man 4 and in editing the Mega Man 7 login screen.

Although my knowledge is also more limited and because I am seeing a project that certainly makes me proud and happy as a fan, you can count on my help and I will do my best if nedded. Even more seeing that they are close to existing.

Congratulations darthvadex and everyone involved in these projects as a base too, I hope more experienced members can also help with their knowledge S2  :)  :thumbsup:  :beer:  :angel:

PS: Sorry for my possible bad or irregular english too  :-[
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:35:20 pm by rurouni30 »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 02:08:03 pm »
I did some edits since FlashPV didn't reply to my requests of not having subtitles.

This is based on the Improvement patch, even if I wanted to do it in the Vanilla MM3.

I must thank you, because I couldn't figure it out until I saw your tiles in yy-chr.

This is the black sheep, not only for the tile error: has an horrid signature in the Nintendo screen.

We should join forces, I was in the MM&B (even published the patch but RH.net kicked it out...) Snd me a PM, so we can discuss it throughly.

YES. Submit your patches for the American and European ROMs.

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »
RealGaea, they kicked your patch out because it contained the AGTP translation. In fact, FlashPV's MM3 should have been too.

Edit: I've attempted to pm you to suggest you something, but your inbox is full. Basically, I've isolated two MM&B gba title screen patches for the two variants of the AGTP translation. Are you still interested in releasing them yourself?? Please let me know. If not, maybe I do it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:50:09 pm by Pethronos »

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:07:22 am »
RealGaea, they kicked your patch out because it contained the AGTP translation. In fact, FlashPV's MM3 should have been too.

Edit: I've attempted to pm you to suggest you something, but your inbox is full. Basically, I've isolated two MM&B gba title screen patches for the two variants of the AGTP translation. Are you still interested in releasing them yourself?? Please let me know. If not, maybe I do it.

Like I said before, Blade133bo told me that AGTP patch is filled of bad pointers, doing an addendum would mess things even worse. I could use another approach... Sics did it for Sonic NES Improvement Vol.2, and now has 4k downloads.

Yeah, I'll plan to rerelease it. Blade133bo told me that Pharaohman card is mispelled. But, your variants would come in handy. Currently I'm using Discord, when I'll get your PM I'll give you my account for friend search. I want to talk it more privately.

Also, congrats darthvaderx on the MM1 patch. Kudos for doing also for the EUR region. I grew up with those.

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 12:47:06 am »
darthvaderx
It seems to me a great initiative, although I agree with Pethronos, it would be good if he tried to solve the problem of the Megaman 4 title screen. On the other hand, I do not understand why Megaman 3 uses a different font :thumbsup:

RealGaea
Actually, before re-uploading my patch, I dedicated myself to trying to solve the causes for which they had rejected it in the first place, in their case the problem is not in their patch, but that it is based on a game that is defective.

I think that insisting on this case would not get their patch uploaded, it would only get them to remove someone else's work and if that's the case, I don't think it's a good idea.

Instead I would wait for someone else to fix the first hack and that way I could upload your work as an appendix for said project :beer:
twitter | deviantart | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 03:58:26 am »
In Rockman 4, that part of the N is a sprite. If you look at the PPU Viewer of FCEUX emulator, that part is in the sprites window next to TM.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 09:54:54 am »
Can you help us to locate that sprite values?

That would be a piece of cake for you.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 12:10:58 pm »
These new titles are looking gorgeous so far! I'm eager to get all of them and add them to my collection!

Couple of questions:

- Is it possible to get the Mega Man 2 Japanese style title for the US ROM? I'd like to use it with things like the QOL hack, or the hack to keep E-tanks after game over.
- Same question, but for Mega Man 6. I'd like to use it with things like the charge sound fadeout patch.
- Are the Game Boy games on the docket? ;D

I've done a little bit of investigation into Mega Man 7's title screen, so I can offer up what little information I have on that in case it'll help. You can extract the game's graphics with Mega Man VII Compression / Decompression Tools (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1255/), and it will dump all of the game's graphic files into a series of .bin files. You can view and edit any of those .bin files in YY-CHR. The files that hold the game's title are in grafico_058.bin, and grafico_148.bin (058 is the main title, 148 is the small title that appears on the Weapon Get screen and cutscenes). The tool doesn't work on Rockman 7 unfortunately, just the US Mega Man 7.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 12:34:00 pm »
A good while back, user SCD requested I make a Japanese style MM7 logo in the vein of my Mega Man X ones, but I believe they were counting on DarkSamus for the insertion of them, but DarkSamus hasn't had the time to look at it I believe.

If anyone has plans to make one for Mega Man VII, I could maybe ask SCD if it he would be okay with me also giving my graphics out to someone else, because I wouldn't want to undercut their hack.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 08:42:00 pm »
A good while back, user SCD requested I make a Japanese style MM7 logo in the vein of my Mega Man X ones, but I believe they were counting on DarkSamus for the insertion of them, but DarkSamus hasn't had the time to look at it I believe.

If anyone has plans to make one for Mega Man VII, I could maybe ask SCD if it he would be okay with me also giving my graphics out to someone else, because I wouldn't want to undercut their hack.

Yes, we would love your contribution and for sure SCD would totally agree with that. For now I am engaged in other projects, but as soon as I finish them I will fully enter our beloved blue bomber ...

Bonus: My top ten NES franchises:

Castlevania
Contra
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Kirby
Mario
Megaman
Metroid
Tetris
Zelda

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:56:56 pm by darthvaderx »

Supergamerguy

• Retro game fanatic; loves platformers, hates jrpgs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 10:12:52 pm »
Yes, we would love your contribution and for sure SCD would totally agree with that. For now I am engaged in other projects, but as soon as I finish them I will fully enter our beloved blue bomber ...

Bonus: My top ten NES franchises:

Castlevania
Contra
Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy
Kirby
Mario
Megaman
Metroid
Tetris
Zelda

I cant believe your top ten includes my top five:  :o
1 - Mega Man
2 - Castlevania
3 - Mario
4 - Kirby
5 - Contra
(Honorable mention - Shovel Knight)
Dah-nuh-nuh-nah! Super fighting robot! Dah-nuh-nah-nah! MEGA MAN! Fighting.......to save.......the world!!!!!

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 10:03:31 am »
The Japanese style titles look better than the official ones we got. It'd be amazing for some people who want to re-experience the Mega Man games.

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 11:13:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure SCD will be ok with this. Blade133bo is trying to figure out the tile routine.

Can I ask you only the title patch for MMX1? Blade133b0 applied it, but generated a small bug: items dropped by destroyed enemies disappear when touching the ground. (Happens in ZSNES, and older versions of SNES9x)

Also, it would be cool if you can do the MMX1~3 Title Patches for PAL/Europe regions. darthvaderx took me by surprise doing MM1 Title for PAL region.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 11:28:40 pm »
I'm pretty sure SCD will be ok with this. Blade133bo is trying to figure out the tile routine.

Can I ask you only the title patch for MMX1? Blade133b0 applied it, but generated a small bug: items dropped by destroyed enemies disappear when touching the ground. (Happens in ZSNES, and older versions of SNES9x)

Also, it would be cool if you can do the MMX1~3 Title Patches for PAL/Europe regions. darthvaderx took me by surprise doing MM1 Title for PAL region.
The first thing is because of the game's anti-piracy measures kicking in because ZSNES is garbage.

The second I can't tell you because DarkSamus is the one who inserted my graphics into the games in the first place. I attempted to on my own, but I don't have much knowledge in that field.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2020, 12:20:04 am »
I'm okay with the idea of letting someone else use the modified MM7 logo that was made for my restoration hack.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 04:31:45 am by SCD »