News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Zelda II - Amida's Curse (Out now!)  (Read 34176 times)

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Re: Zelda II - Amida's Curse (Out now!)
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2021, 04:14:42 am »
Thanks for the game.  I've been playing it for the last few nights and really enjoying it.

I have a question about the 4th dungeon.

I found the door where I think the boss and probably the dungeon item is behind.  I at least see the curtains on the other side so I think it's supposed to be an important room.

I've been everywhere that I think I can be and can't find the key.  I've found the exit and put the gem in the stone, left the dungeon, and reentered it.

Is there a key to pick up on the other side that I can't get to since I've locked myself out of the area?  Or any ideas on which key is so well hidden that I missed it?

Also, is there a way to tell which version of the game I may be playing?  I was given the rom already patched so I'm not sure which version I have.  I've been playing it on a modded NES classic so I don't think I can extract the saves from it.  I'm also not sure what will happen if I try to install the latest patched rom onto it.  I have a feeling it will start a new save file.

Thanks again!

Hi llaffer. You can check by entering Desert Tower. If there is a bot on the second screen when you enter from the left, you've got version 1.0 . That version could cause an issue with keys despawning if you are very unlucky. Please check and send me your savefile (impala@okimpala.net) so I can check whether you didn't find the key or you are on a version lower then 1.2.

You can't patch your Amida's Curse ROM again, it might mess up the game. You can however patch a clean Z2ROM and just change the name of your savefile to the name of the newly patched ROM. Or just overwrite your existing ROM with the same filename. You can then continue playing with the same savefile. Let me know!  :)

llaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2021, 09:29:45 am »
Hi llaffer. You can check by entering Desert Tower. If there is a bot on the second screen when you enter from the left, you've got version 1.0 . That version could cause an issue with keys despawning if you are very unlucky. Please check and send me your savefile (impala@okimpala.net) so I can check whether you didn't find the key or you are on a version lower then 1.2.

You can't patch your Amida's Curse ROM again, it might mess up the game. You can however patch a clean Z2ROM and just change the name of your savefile to the name of the newly patched ROM. Or just overwrite your existing ROM with the same filename. You can then continue playing with the same savefile. Let me know!  :)
Do you know if it's possible to pull the save data out of an NES classic? 

I did ask the person who gave me the patched rom and he did say it's 1.2.

I figured that a patched rom can't be repatched, but I'm worried about what would happen if I try to install it onto the NES classic if it would somehow use the save data from the older version or if I would be stuck starting over.

Thanks.

EDIT:  I did find that I can extract save data from the NES Classic.  I did so and e-mailed the results to you.

Thanks, again.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 11:04:52 am by llaffer »

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2021, 11:49:45 am »
Do you know if it's possible to pull the save data out of an NES classic? 

I did ask the person who gave me the patched rom and he did say it's 1.2.

I figured that a patched rom can't be repatched, but I'm worried about what would happen if I try to install it onto the NES classic if it would somehow use the save data from the older version or if I would be stuck starting over.

Thanks.

EDIT:  I did find that I can extract save data from the NES Classic.  I did so and e-mailed the results to you.

Thanks, again.

Yes! I got it. I'll answer you in the mail.  :)

Turns out it wasn't a bug, but llaffer needed some directions to find the last key!  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:34:48 pm by Ok Impala! »

llaffer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2021, 07:30:04 pm »
Now my brain is bugged. Not able to figure out where to go next.  I was able to get the next spell after the 4th temple, but not sure where I can go now that I've not already been.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:16:24 pm by llaffer »

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2021, 12:53:34 am »
Now my brain is bugged. Not able to figure out where to go next.  I was able to get the next spell after the 4th temple, but not sure where I can go now that I've not already been.

Spoiler:
Try the cave in the Swamp...

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2021, 05:36:15 am »
I might be dense, but I can't find the wizard that gives the Fairy spell..

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2021, 06:47:25 am »
I might be dense, but I can't find the wizard that gives the Fairy spell..

Where are you now in the game?

Spoiler:
The Fairy spell is in Soli, so if you aren't there yet, you need to go somewhere else first.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2021, 06:13:47 am »
Where are you now in the game?

Spoiler:
The Fairy spell is in Soli, so if you aren't there yet, you need to go somewhere else first.
Ok, yup, I missed something. Gonna go back and try again. There is a new version out anyway. I'll just restart the run with the new version.

Thank you so much!  :) Feel free to share these words in a review, it will help other players to estimate whether this is a game for them!  :)
On that note, I was going to, but at this point there are so many glowing reviews, prospective players are going to know that a quality experience is awaiting them!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 06:19:40 am by lexluthermiester »

Pineapplefish

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2021, 02:14:33 pm »
This is such a great hack!

It made me want to patch 'Zelda 2 Redux' to look and feel as close to Amidar as possible.

So, I'm starting with the original ROM, patch Zelda2_Redux.ips

then I proceed to add the following:
Change Text Sound
Fairy Doesnt Go Through Doors
New GFX
Static Exp At Palace Crystal

Am I missing anything?

Also, Tyler McVicker, a reasonably well-known youtuber, has been running the Amidar title screen in the back of his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpSyOoTcC8

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2021, 12:15:54 am »
This is such a great hack!

It made me want to patch 'Zelda 2 Redux' to look and feel as close to Amidar as possible.

So, I'm starting with the original ROM, patch Zelda2_Redux.ips

then I proceed to add the following:
Change Text Sound
Fairy Doesnt Go Through Doors
New GFX
Static Exp At Palace Crystal

Am I missing anything?

Also, Tyler McVicker, a reasonably well-known youtuber, has been running the Amidar title screen in the back of his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QpSyOoTcC8

Hi!,

ShadowOne added some patches because of my changes in Amida, to make it easier for players to add those changes to Redux. To your list I would add:

- Tunic Change at Lvl 7
- Remove Low Health Beep
- Reduce Lag
- Change Minor Item SFX

Please note I changed a lot of the graphics myself, so you won't get the same graphical look with the graphics patches, but it will look at bit more the same. Enjoy!  :)

And thanks for sharing that YouTube video. That's kinda surprising to see! Wonder if he will make a video about it?  :)

Pineapplefish

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2021, 10:14:23 pm »
Hi!, <...>
Thanks! Yeah, I've come to notice the removal of the low health beep noise, in a rather dramatic fashion. I understand the reasoning though.

Still making progress in my game, still enjoying it.  :thumbsup:

FanofSMBX

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2021, 09:57:48 pm »
Does this hack have new custom graphics, or just from Zelda 2 Redux?

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2021, 10:35:39 am »
Does this hack have new custom graphics, or just from Zelda 2 Redux?

Hi! The game has new custom graphics! Check out the release trailer to see some of it in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqrJi8xbZg

P9y4^YYlzH7Kx6$k

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2021, 11:41:08 am »
I seem to be missing a way to get the last key in the third dungeon.  Glitch or is there just something I missed along the way?

This youtuber is stuck in the exact same way as I, see 2h 14m in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwBcsPfn-Y

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2021, 12:49:40 pm »
I seem to be missing a way to get the last key in the third dungeon.  Glitch or is there just something I missed along the way?

This youtuber is stuck in the exact same way as I, see 2h 14m in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwBcsPfn-Y

Hi! You missed something and need to go all the way round. Remember the hint one of the townsfolk gave you? See the same YouTube video 1:23:48. Let me know if that helped you!  :)

P9y4^YYlzH7Kx6$k

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »
Ah ok thanks!  Forgot about that hint and it was quite a lot of backtracking but got the key.

Great game, appreciate you creating it and also for the response to my question.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2021, 01:58:46 pm »
Ah ok thanks!  Forgot about that hint and it was quite a lot of backtracking but got the key.

Great game, appreciate you creating it and also for the response to my question.

You are welcome! Pay close attention to what the townspeople tell you, they have a lot to tell you that's important! Enjoy the game! :)

Pineapplefish

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2021, 02:44:59 pm »
You are welcome! Pay close attention to what the townspeople tell you, they have a lot to tell you that's important! Enjoy the game! :)
Oh man, that damn key!

Problem for me is: the village is so far removed from the dungeon that I forgot all about any sort of hint. Found the secret by pure trial-and-error. Genuinely felt like an 'NES era' secret though, so that's great.

One super-confusing aspect to me was that the second magic you acquire appears WAY down the list (since it comes by much later in the original game.) I was absolutely convinced that I had inadvertently skipped some very meaty parts of the game, especially after crossing some places seemingly requiring the downward sword, Jump and Faery magic spells.

Would recommend rearraging Magic menu spell order, if technically possible.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2021, 12:12:03 am »
Oh man, that damn key!

Problem for me is: the village is so far removed from the dungeon that I forgot all about any sort of hint. Found the secret by pure trial-and-error. Genuinely felt like an 'NES era' secret though, so that's great.

One super-confusing aspect to me was that the second magic you acquire appears WAY down the list (since it comes by much later in the original game.) I was absolutely convinced that I had inadvertently skipped some very meaty parts of the game, especially after crossing some places seemingly requiring the downward sword, Jump and Faery magic spells.

Would recommend rearraging Magic menu spell order, if technically possible.

Hi! That's some great advice. Technically that's really hard to pull off though. It's one of the limitations of working within an existing game.

greenghost420

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2021, 02:59:38 pm »
IM loving this rom hack thank you! i love the sprites and music alot. i was able to get softlocked where u get the flute .when dropping into the room i was able to land on the ledge at top of screen and walk to the left and drop into the ocarinas room and couldnt get out as i had no keys. had to reset. im alllllmossst to a point where i may be stuck, idk im still exploring :)