News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Paper Mario Bros. (Mesen HD Pack)  (Read 6555 times)

mkwong98

• View Profile
Paper Mario Bros. (Mesen HD Pack)
« on: December 09, 2020, 02:40:38 am »
Hi, I made a SMB HD pack 7 years ago and it is time to remake the pack with new functionalities provided by Mesen. This time I use graphics from Paper Mario and hence the title of the pack.

Update 2020-12-19:
1. Added suggested changes from Aclectico. Thank you! :beer:
2. Fixed some palette swaps which I missed.
3. Added support for 2 player hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4180/
4. Some graphics touch ups

Download:https://www.mediafire.com/file/fl3rk77d6nuv7fl/Super_Mario_Bros._%2528JU%2529_%2528PRG0%2529_%255B%2521%255D_Paper_Version.zip/file

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:15:48 am by mkwong98 »

Aclectico

• View Profile
Re: Paper Mario Bros. (Mesen HD Pack)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 03:23:44 pm »
Interesting - A common bit of feedback I encounter with HD packs is the frequent disconnect between increased resolution and the low frame count nature of the NES. But, with this, I think it's OK because the Paper Mario source graphics are intentionally "primitive." It actually made me laugh quite a bit (in a good way)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 11:11:29 am by Aclectico »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 07:11:15 pm »
Ha! That's pretty neat. I'm curious to see it in action.

Speaking of frame limitations... I take it increasing the frame rate and injecting in-between frame graphics isn't possible? If not, then that would be a powerful next step for MESEN's capabilities.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 08:13:10 pm »
Currently the injecting in-between frames only works for looping animations which can start at any point in the loop. This is because the frame counter is not synchronizing with any event. I'm thinking about having a number of frame counters, each with its own reset conditions. But this will be difficult to implement and only works for "singleton" animations.

Two other difficult to implement but useful features in my mind are:
1. Having replacement of sprite tile to be bigger than 1 tile. It is difficult to adjust the replacement to fit the area covered by sprites. See the screen shot of Bowser in this pack as an example. It will be much easier if additional sprites can be shown on screen.
2. Some way for the HD pack builder to preserve the screen information which new tiles are encountered so that the user knows where that tile is used. Currently I only use the builder to create the hires.txt header and use the PPU viewer to capture the tiles for my own editor. It will be nice if the builder can give more information.

roney33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:33:44 pm »
please, make the same with final fantasy 1-3 with background battles

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:15:10 am »
@mkwong98 are you open to any friendly suggestions? If so, I made an attempt at altering the running animation just a bit. I moved one of the frames up a couple of pixels. It's subtle, but I think it more closely imitates how running is shown in Paper Mario. I also cleaned up some stray pixel artifacts around the Mario, Luigi, and Fireflower sheets.

Before

*A stray pixel exists in the upper left hand corner.

After

**Sidenote- It looks like making this change did cause an issue for the fireflower. I could go back and see if I can fix it with a "nearby" condition. For now, I was interested to see if you were interested in the change. Also, I couldn't figure out how to implement for the colorful star animations. I may need direction in that area if this change is accepted.

Fireflower issue this change caused

Mario sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFsScO4onWTBeK7SH7qCSgckUNsKu8Qv/view?usp=sharing
Luigi sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgBAva3o8R8AgLTxkcLKU8jcPci7qR2T/view?usp=sharing
Fireflower sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DSsPbeqeWt7TfJ5hEnVoKnqVaX3M99bh/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:55:37 pm by Aclectico »

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 12:08:48 pm »
please, make the same with final fantasy 1-3 with background battles

Sorry, I'm not ready to work on RPG yet. I'm trying to improve the HD pack builder of Mesen. If that works then my next target is 1943.

@mkwong98 are you open to any friendly suggestions? If so, I made an attempt at altering the running animation just a bit. I moved one of the frames up a couple of pixels. It's subtle, but I think it more closely imitates how running is shown in Paper Mario. I also cleaned up some stray pixel artifacts around the Mario, Luigi, and Fireflower sheets.

**Sidenote- It looks like making this change did cause an issue for the fireflower. I could go back and see if I can fix it with a "nearby" condition. For now, I was interested to see if you were interested in the change. Also, I couldn't figure out how to implement for the colorful star animations. I may need direction in that area if this change is accepted.

Fireflower issue this changed caused

Mario sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFsScO4onWTBeK7SH7qCSgckUNsKu8Qv/view?usp=sharing
Luigi sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgBAva3o8R8AgLTxkcLKU8jcPci7qR2T/view?usp=sharing
Fireflower sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DSsPbeqeWt7TfJ5hEnVoKnqVaX3M99bh/view?usp=sharing

I'm open to suggestions and yours are good! The fireflower issue is actually not from your changes and it is caused by a mix up with the swimming animation. I'll fix this in the next release. As for the star animation, it is generated by my own HD pack editor which takes the Mario sheet and change the hue of the tiles by a certain amount. The generated tiles are stored in editorGenImage0.png. So you don't need to do anything and I'll generate a new one with your new Mario sheet.

Thanks! 

lyonhrt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 12:38:52 pm »
bows to mkwong98  :woot!:, nice to see you going back to your original work, love how the hdnes format has grown over the years.

My own attempts with mario, i've tried adding extra frames to smooth it out, it is a nightmare with conditions trying to get everything to work...it wasn't great, but theres a few things you can do eg for single frame jumping, also have you attempted parallax, i am working on a pack
Spoiler:
Toki
, and just working on the more advanced stuff now, trying to push it, with scrolling, and trying to compare it to the arcade version, layers are a great addition, but still getting a flawless look is a long way off.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:13:57 pm by lyonhrt »

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 01:13:03 pm »
I love this. It looks great... now if this can be done to smb: 2 player hack... 😅

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 10:31:23 pm »
bows to mkwong98  :woot!:, nice to see you going back to your original work, love how the hdnes format has grown over the years.

My own attempts with mario, i've tried adding extra frames to smooth it out, it is a nightmare with conditions trying to get everything to work...it wasn't great, but theres a few things you can do eg for single frame jumping, also have you attempted parallax, i am working on a pack
Spoiler:
Toki
, and just working on the more advanced stuff now, trying to push it, with scrolling, and trying to compare it to the arcade version, layers are a great addition, but still getting a flawless look is a long way off.
I haven't attempted parallax yet.
And I'm looking forward to see your new work

I love this. It looks great... now if this can be done to smb: 2 player hack... 😅
I haven't look into that hack so I'm not sure what is the difference. I may be able to add compatibility to that hack if the difference isn't too big.

December 18, 2020, 10:16:46 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update 2020-12-19:
1. Added suggested changes from Aclectico. Thank you! :beer:
2. Fixed some palette swaps which I missed.
3. Added support for 2 player hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4180/
4. Some graphics touch ups
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:16:46 am by mkwong98 »

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:39 pm »
amazing! Thanks mkwong.