News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Castlevania III 35th Anniversary (NES) Hack: Aperture of Corruption  (Read 35696 times)

Toffi

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania III 35th Anniversary (NES) Hack: Aperture of Corruption
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2021, 11:17:52 pm »
Thanks for the tip! Most of these characters are completely new to the NES, so implementation is still being actively completed. Things are still moving forward on the pixel art side of things, and the design will most likely continue to go though edits before getting anywhere near a final release. This kind of feedback is super help-full in developing things further, I'm glad to see people invested in helping us get things right.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 12:17:44 am by Toffi »

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:46 pm »
Hey Folks! AoC team has been working hard recently, and I wanted to give a little progress update for you all.

Thanks to your feedback, Germain's sprites were given a bit more time in the development oven. The current build if still being built up, and its likely more iterations are to come. Here is a time-lapse of the progress we have made since the last RHDN post to correct the proportions. Credit goes out to Ontar for the wonderful animations, and Emco for the proportional corrections and most recent design.

Thanks to the amazing work of Bouffon and Subotai, the devils forge stage is coming along quite nicely. Optimization has allowed us to add in a ton of extra details into the CHR bank, and despite the sections length, we hope to make things as interesting as possible. While development on the graphical end of things is wrapping up, implementation and level design has just begun, so expect to see more on that front soon.

Last but not least, NaOH has passed over some super early glimpses at the games SONIA engine. Its been in development since the project started, so seeing things come together like this is a blessing for all the MMC5 enthusiasts out there. Teuthida has been masterfully crafting the games ost behind the scenes, and has been helping NaOH fine tune things to ensure everything comes out just right.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2021, 09:23:32 pm »
Good stuff right here & glad to see the Saint Germain sprites are getting tweaked & made more better,keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2021, 01:43:48 am »
Another Quick Update on the Devils Forge stage. Things are coming along nicely and a working ROM version is being assembled.
Our design process for the forge was to explain the Claudia's use of magic and technology. The Devils Forge is essentially the birthing spot for all of the mechanical foes the crew faces through AoC.

Dracula and Claudia set up the Devils forge as a way of imbuing automita (spring powered machines) with souls to better fight the Belmont's. Stage progression would follow the process of making cursed iron.
Here's that process:
Step 1: Mine pure iron and begin transporting it by train to the Devils Forge.
Step 2: Melt the iron into a molten state and fill large pools full of the mixture.
Step 3: Capture victims willing participants and gently drop them into the molten mixture.
Step 4: Presto! Cursed iron is created. Souls become trapped in the magma during its formation and can become a bit rowdy if not stirred from time to time.
Step 5: Refine and pour the mixture into ingots and molds. Let that baby cool before assembly and you have yourself some possessed metal which will fuel your dark empire for the next century!

Here are some test screen shots for the level.

An upper floor has been assembled, with windows and carts full of fuel for the flames.

and the melted refinery below, with massive pools of cursed iron stored in vats and transported to make ingots

New flame sprites have been created along with some small UI changes to text.

That's about it for now, more changes coming soon. :thumbsup:

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2021, 02:46:42 pm »
Sick work Toffi,you & the team keep it up! :thumbsup:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2021, 09:08:37 pm »
It's getting great, I wanted to give a suggestion if possible, when I play cartlevania nes 8 bit I miss the snes function when I get a new spell that I already had is visible for about 3 seconds if we want to get it back, would that be possible? sometimes we get a magic we don't want and there's no going back :)

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2021, 01:53:48 am »
Thanks, that's a pretty good suggestion. It is possible technically, and the code for items is already set up. The only limiting factor there is ASM, as it takes time to manually code functionality on that end. It's defiantly worth looking into though. ;)

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2021, 06:46:16 am »
Toffi: another important suggestion, when I was playing castlevania dragula x from snes, I noticed that when used, the bubblegum has an animation that shows it going behind the character and even hits an enemy from behind, in nes I see that there is animation, but not hits enemy from behind, it would be good to add this function to the whip, is it possible? write down the suggestions you find interesting so you don't forget :thumbsup:

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2021, 07:34:31 pm »
UPDATE:
We were able to add in the item drop from Castlevania Dracula X in with great success with some help from SpiderDave. Thanks to the simple programming needed to enable it, we only had a few game destroying glitches to iron out before getting things just right. ;D

Sprite layering (making items go behind enemies instead of up front) may be a bit too far out of the ASM range atm.

I've been sprucing up the title screen with a few highlights as well.

Expect to see more on the Devils Forge soon.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2021, 07:38:07 pm »
That's awesome,I remember that feature when playing Dracula X! ;D

Sounds understandable.

It's looking great,wonder if the title itself is getting close to being finished?

And as always keep up the great work Toffi. :thumbsup:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2021, 08:30:11 pm »
Toffi: I really liked the title screen, I'm glad that my suggestion about Dracula X's ability to recover magic was added, it's good that when we get a spell we don't like we can recover the other one kkk thanks, but you don't understand about the other one suggestion, maybe I didn't speak correctly, in Castlevania games we use a chain for the attack is that it? I think I had said it was a whip and maybe that's what complicated it, so come on, when I'm playing Castlevania Dracula X and I'm attacking an enemy that is in front of me and soon another one arrives from behind I realized that the enemy behind is also hit by the chain, in Castlevania nes the chain is pulled from behind like in Dracula X, but in nes it does not reach the enemy that is bringing, is it possible to correct this? great job congratulations, i'm looking forward to this game ;D

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2021, 01:10:51 pm »
 Good GOD! man. How long have you been at this??? There needs to be a seriously ridiculous amount of patience and skill being poured into this hack. Do you have testers for this yet? If not, sign me up.  8)
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2021, 02:59:39 pm »
The projects been running since Dec 2020, so were at the 7 month mark. Currently the games resting at a solid 2 fully designed levels, a custom boss or two, tons of programming work with new features (were at the point where semi-multiplayer gameplay is on the table), a slamming soundtrack with an engine on the way, custom UI elements, traditional art, and more. By the end of the project, team AoC is hoping to have what is essentially a completely new Classic-vania experience using traditional hardware, how close we can get to that goal is up to the people willing to invest their time into the project.

Currently were working on FMV (Forge Master Version) ROM's. We're hoping to get a PB (Public build) IPS out for testing when we finally reach the goal of 100% converting a level (music and sound being the last thing we need to cross off our list). The project's server should open up for testing by that point.

Thanks for the encouraging words StarWyvwern! I would love to chat about testing, you can always DM me on Discord at Toffi#6064 as most of the projects development is going on over there.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
What a great looking titlescreen!

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2021, 07:42:39 pm »
The projects been running since Dec 2020, so were at the 7 month mark. Currently the games resting at a solid 2 fully designed levels, a custom boss or two, tons of programming work with new features (were at the point where semi-multiplayer gameplay is on the table), a slamming soundtrack with an engine on the way, custom UI elements, traditional art, and more. By the end of the project, team AoC is hoping to have what is essentially a completely new Classic-vania experience using traditional hardware, how close we can get to that goal is up to the people willing to invest their time into the project.

Currently were working on FMV (Forge Master Version) ROM's. We're hoping to get a PB (Public build) IPS out for testing when we finally reach the goal of 100% converting a level (music and sound being the last thing we need to cross off our list). The project's server should open up for testing by that point.

Thanks for the encouraging words StarWyvwern! I would love to chat about testing, you can always DM me on Discord at Toffi#6064 as most of the projects development is going on over there.

Already added you. I am on the CVRH Discord as well.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2021, 05:14:42 pm »
Suggestion, could you create a small animation for the chain, type a small combo? This would be incredible would give you more desire to play, I find it strange Castlevania games just have a move when using the chain, what do you think? ;D

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2021, 12:46:10 am »
MEGA UPDATE:
First off thanks for the support guys, sorry about the wait on that devils forge update. I have a lot of wonderful progress to share.
Thanks to our wonderful sprite artist Ontar team AoC has finally added new whip animations for both the leather and chain whip, this includes the whip upgrade icon as well. ;D

Next up on the chopping block is the devils forge update. Since that last update we have new tiles, new stage obstacles, new enemies and more. The Cherufe has been added as the next monster to AoC's bestiary. They are humanoids made of magma that live at the core of volcanoes, that cause earthquakes and eruptions in Chilean folklore. The ones in the devils forge are a result of cursed iron fabrication, in which souls are trapped within molten iron.

They are not alone though, as the Meri Lwyd has also enlisted into Dracula's devilish forces. The Meri Lwyd is a folk lore monster that comes from the British Isles. It often arrives during late year festivities (like Christmas and new years). The monster will knock at your door and asked to be let in. Tradition states that the residents of the house must respond with an excuse as of why the monster cannot. If they cannot preform this ritual, the monster will come inside and feast on their holiday meal. So in general, if you see one be sure to have a feast prepared, or you might just end up on the monsters plate.  >:D

Last but certainly not least is the save screen re-design. All tiles and palettes have been converted and are currently being prepped for gameplay.

That's all for now folks, look forward for more great things to come in the future from team AoC! :thumbsup:

Flaviogames

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2021, 07:59:18 am »
Toffi: Very good, but when the whip is pulled, will it hit any enemies that are behind it? Could there be some small combo when pressing hits several times? :huh:

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2021, 11:21:53 am »
Amazing stuff you posted here Toffi,now only the whip animation for third whip upgrade is left. :)

The rest of the goodies are fantastic,you & the team keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Toffi

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2021, 01:45:46 pm »
Hi Flavio! Sorry for the late reply, we've been a bit busy as of late. On those two ideas, adding some extra collision data to the whip is possible, but would need a bit of ASM to work, its worth looking into. The whip combo idea sadly would use up too much memory, AoC has a limited amount of ASM data to use, we're trying to ensure we can fit as many wonderful features as possible in and ensuring that our mods take up a small amount of the code is fairly important. Thank you again for your wonderful suggestions, we should have more updates coming soon.

UPDATES:

The Demon Forge stage is close to completion, and the team is prepping to move onto the next stage.

New door sprites are being tested and implemented.

PPU's are being tested and updated to fit some new text.

Neri's got some wonderful art sketches for the trailer completed.

Which portal looks best to you guys?