(NES) Total Conversion Hack Castlevania 3: Aperture of Corruption

Started by Toffi, December 08, 2020, 11:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkali Man OG

Hoo boy those graphics are getting even better.

so how does those asm subweapon stuff work?

Supergamerguy

Quote from: Toffi on December 05, 2022, 02:33:52 PMDecember's come folks! Were getting close to the end of year 2.
This month I'm happy to report a lot of progress, more holiday off time means more time for development.
Currently we have some stage remodels, a new enemy type and a new stage.

Starting things off strong we have a round of small quality of life updates to stage tiles in area's including the botanical garden, circus, and port town. As the projects progressed and new graphical techniques were uncovered many of the older stage layouts became somewhat outdated. Currently the games oldest stage, the CV2 port town Aljiba has been getting some serious upgrades due to the voidspace bank expansion, so expect some new info on it soon.

ENEMY ALERT
Out from the infected ship flows dozens of hornet's. They're extremely durable and can survive harsh winds and cold winters with help from their hibernating queens. Once temperatures rise they can emerge from their cocoons to fight any would be intruders.

On the hive front new tiles have been crafted for the ships infected underbelly. With this the airship stage is getting close to completion, more work is being put into boss designs. Keep an eye out for more info soon.

REPLY SECTION
It's actually the skeleton knight Alkali Man OG. Were able to add fit a bit more curve into the animation thanks to the original uncompressed sprite graphics.

Currently we've gotten somewhere with the concept Arcade-Elite, code has been developed that lets the game know which character a player died with. All that's left is to lock the players swap wheel back to 1 character. How that might effect the stability of the game or cutscene's? Like the multi-swap that's currently unknown.

Thanks for the encouraging words Flaviogames. Currently were on track to release a demo build sometime in 2024 however the date has not been set in stone yet. Progress updates will continue monthly with more content coming soon.

This is just insane. I'm not sure there's much more I can say beyond offering some encouragement. Yoy all should be proud of yourselves. As always, keep up the good work! :beer:
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars > 10 > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Googie

sics

It's one of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen, I've never played a full Castlevania on NES, but with your hack it makes me want to reverse this situation! :thumbsup:
Linktree  | Better a small finished project than a thousand giant ideas stuck in your system.

Arcade-Elite

Happy holidays, can't wait wait for this game keep it up.

Toffi

Happy new years guys!
As 2023 revs up it's time for the yearly end post.
Let's start by sharing the level completion stats, were just about halfway through the games stages and have rough outlines for WIP sections ready to go.
Stage 1: Unfinished
Stage 2: Completed
Stage 3: Completed
Stage 4: Completed
Stage 5: WIP
Stage 6X: WIP
Stage 6Y: Completed
Stage 7: Start screen done
Stage 4A: Near completion
Stage 5A: Start screen done
Stage 6A: Start screen done
Stage 7A: WIP
Stage 8: Completed
Stage 9: WIP
Stage 10: WIP

Next up is some amazing progress into pre-rendering. We've currently unlocked some extra space between the games regular and void banks that allows us to pull off some impressive 3d effects. Coupling this with how the MMC5 handles banks and we can pull off semi capable 3d animation. The end goal of this 3D simulation would be to fully render Castlevania in a 3D environment and use it during the final fight against Dracula. New semi stable parallax routines are being looked into so 1 layered background effects like those seen on the SNES might soon become a reality. Below is a 3d model running on real hardware in ROM. As more progress is made updates will be posted.

Were still looking for music implementation help, currently the MMC5 chipset has provided a unique set of challenges that classic 2a03 sound modification doesn't. If you have any experience with assembly 6502 or want to help us get the game out faster feel free to PM me here or DM me at ToffiRola#6064.

Things are getting better and better graphically and over the course of this projects lifetime and lot's of new advancements have been made. Thank you all for posting and replying here and keeping up with the development blog. It means a lot to see just how much support's out there.
Thank you all and have a happy new year.

-END YEAR 2-
REPLY SECTION

The sub-weapon dropping works similarly to SOTN Alkali Man OG. When a new weapon is chosen the old one pops out of the back and can be regained, however all modifiers will be lost when picked back up. So if you even mistakenly pick up a weapon you don't wan you can reclaim your previous one.

Thanks for the kind words Supergamerguy, Googie, sics and Arcade-Elite. Hopefully we'll have more to show soon.

Googie

The recent pics look really smooth, I hope you get the help you need in the music department. 👊😎

Flaviogames

Very impressive, I would have a demo for me to test and publicize on YouTube :laugh:

drax01

Hello, this project is great, every month I enter to see each progress you make. Could you give us a gif of what the 3D effect looks like? Congratulations and a big hug!  :)  :thumbsup: