News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II Amida (New world, temples, dungeons, towns, story, graphics, gameplay)  (Read 6684 times)

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Im excited to see where this is going.
I liked Zelda II until it got frustrating, a bit more modern leveldesign and straight up easier difficulty is exactly what this game needs.
I can not offer much support except for the mental sort. YOU GO MAN! :thumbsup:

Thank you! The game will indeed be a bit easier and without frustrating pitfalls and cheap deaths. It's all about having fun exploring the new world of Amida!  :)

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
Looking forward to it as well! The cheap deaths and obscure "what do I do now" parts meant I could never play the original game through to the end.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
Looking forward to it as well! The cheap deaths and obscure "what do I do now" parts meant I could never play the original game through to the end.

You should really check out the Redux version then, as it has completely revamped and fixed most of the glaring faults of the original.

frantik

• View Profile
Looking forward to giving this a spin when completed!  ZII has always been one of my favorites

WebSlinger

• View Profile
Looks amazing as hell!!  Every considering making the Magic counter green like in Link to the past sorta? It'll look freakin' sweet!

Asaki

• View Profile
Very cool.
The only part of the original Zelda II that I think is too difficult is the very last palace...having to trek through all that dangerous terrain to get there, and then getting whooped in the palace itself...even with max EXP, I still can't beat that part of the game without cheating.

frantik

• View Profile
Very cool.
The only part of the original Zelda II that I think is too difficult is the very last palace...having to trek through all that dangerous terrain to get there, and then getting whooped in the palace itself...even with max EXP, I still can't beat that part of the game without cheating.

if you study the map there's enough magic and life refills to get you through to the last boss, but it's still pretty tough. 

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Looks amazing as hell!!  Every considering making the Magic counter green like in Link to the past sorta? It'll look freakin' sweet!

This is a pretty cool idea. No idea whether it's possible because of palette limitations. But I'll check it out!

Thank you all for the comments, it's really inspiring to continue work on this hack. I'll keep updating the progress in this thread's OP. When area 4 is finished, I'll post some new screenshots too!  :)

Fox Cunning

• Barrel-roller
    • View Profile
You should really check out the Redux version then, as it has completely revamped and fixed most of the glaring faults of the original.
Absolutely will do, thanks.

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Having the Magic Meter green has been tried, and it's usually too complicated to be worth it. Both meters in Zelda II use background tiles for the full squares, and a sprite that moves to show the partially filled square. So, you need to reserve a green color for the background, and one for the foreground, for the entire game.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Area 4 is completed. I'm really happy with how the 4th temple and surrounding areas turned out. Here are some screenshots of the 4th area. Link will have to pass the Death Lands to find a very important spell! Special thanks to Trax for the help to make the flying eye invisible in West Hyrule without the cross/magic book.

The town of Olbia

The Death Lands

The cursed town of Zakros

Inside the 4th temple

A very cool palette effect  in the 4th temple, but I don't know yet why it occurs...

Fight for the final key in the 4th temple

The cursed town of Zakros

GTM604

• View Profile
looking sweet keep up the good work

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Uh...oh... it's glitch time again!  :huh:

Luckily the experience from last time made it relatively easy to fix these problems. Though it's still puzzling why these glitches appear.  :huh:

Anyway, it's fixed once again. On wards to area 5!  :)

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
The fifth area is done! In this area you will climb a volcano and actually have to jump into the pit to reach the inner chambers of the Temple. I'm making swift progress the last few weeks, so a release of this hack in 2021 is still on schedule.  :)

For inspiration purposes I played another Zelda II hack, Resurrection of Ganon. This turned out to be an amazing hack! GTM604 really outdid himself with this game. I had a lot fun exploring all the new temples and mixed up overworld. Be sure to check it out, if you have missed this hack. (See: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5656/).

I've been trying to get in contact with GTM604, but so far I haven't heard from him back. So, GTM604, if you're reading this, please contact me!  :)

To end this post. Here are some new screenshots of the Volcano area of Zelda II - Amida!

Inside the Volcano Temple

Myra Forest

The church in Edessa

The lava river devil is blocking your path

The town of Edessa

Trax

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Nice creative use of the structures in Side View, especially in Towns. If you can't build whatever you want to build with the default structures, let me know, I can help you create new ones. As long as the tiles as defined, the possibilities are infinite.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Nice creative use of the structures in Side View, especially in Towns. If you can't build whatever you want to build with the default structures, let me know, I can help you create new ones. As long as the tiles as defined, the possibilities are infinite.

Thank you for the offer, that's very nice of you!  :) I think I'll get back to you on that, once I've finished all areas and start polishing the game!  :)