News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Digimon: D-1 Tamers Translation (WS)  (Read 3919 times)

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Digimon: D-1 Tamers Translation (WS)
« on: November 29, 2020, 10:55:17 am »
Hey! Not having learned my lesson after translating Tag Tamers, I've now started work on its sequel: Digimon Adventure 02: D-1 Tamers.

As you can see, this game's in color, which was the second most common remark I received about the last translation. Storyline wise, I've got almost all of the intro translated and added in. Thanks to my new (in-progress) translation program, I've been able to directly port a lot of content from Tag Tamers over - I've got all of the Digimon names, items and item descriptions in D-1 Tamers already.

I'm fairly early in the process right now; currently I'm focused on finding the pointer tables and finishing my graphics and ASM editing modules. I think this one will go a lot faster than the last one however, so I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
Re: Digimon: D-1 Tamers Translation (WS)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 06:25:13 pm »
Hopefully it will be another amazing work from yours, bro!  Godspeed and good success on this new undertaking! :thumbsup:

Zdagger67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 10:24:08 pm »
i heard you started a project D-1 tamer translation.
But here another Mock-up

i recolor the Lasermutt4 Digimon logo to More accurate than Japanese Logo color.
and the Right one is a MonoChrome version

Note : That D-1 Tamers Is compatile mono color like Gameboy in Oswan Emulator
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:40:17 pm by Zdagger67 »

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 11:49:50 am »
Mikeprado30: Thanks! I've got partial builds in the new editor for Tag Tamers too - there's a few things I want to go back and fix for a final release of that one, but my old editor had reached its limits.

Zdagger67: That looks great! I'm still working on the graphics module, but my ultimate goal is to be able to load in an image and have the program "correct" the palette based on the stored one in the ROM. It's a longer term goal for now - I've currently got "raw" 2BBP export functions, and my next step is to add in the tile map functionality.

nf6429

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 02:46:05 pm »
Very excited for this project, nice to see more Wonderswan games get translated, especially Digimon. Wondering though, is this translation program your creating specifically for Digimon, or for the Wonderswan in general. If the latter, might encourage a lot more people to try out Wonderswan titles hacking-wise.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:01 am »
nf6429: Glad to hear you're excited! Unfortunately, building a translation program for all Wonderswan games is kind of like building a translation program of all SNES or GameBoy games. I've released a few WS patches (and have a few more sitting unfinished, like Rainbow Island), and each developer does things differently. For instance, the Rainbow Island pointers aren't written the same way as the Ryo Digimon games.

Also, I've set up a Twitter account to update progress on the patch, so if you're interested in smaller updates than what I post here, feel free to check out @translatorWS.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:37:47 pm »
Update: Just posted a video of the game's introduction (~177 textboxes). It's not the final dialogue, but if you want to see the game in action, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q36RoK6D82w

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:35:50 pm »
Request for Feedback: Hey everyone! The translation is progressing well. I've added graphics importing/exporting to my editor program, and wanted some feedback on layouts for the battle menu. Here's the current one I imported from Tag Tamers:

I want to fix the spacing between letters and the alignment, which requires saving the tiles somewhere I have more space. Not hard to do, but which alignment do you guys think looks best?

Left-Aligned

Centered

Right-Aligned

(Or something else entirely?)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 10:04:18 pm »
Left-Aligned looks best for me.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:45 pm »
Zynk: Thanks! I prefer the left-aligned as well. I just wish there was a little less whitespace to the right of "Fight", "Items", and "Guard". I may play around with the wording some to see what I can do.

Hidetovtamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 08:54:23 am »
It looks great, I'm quite looking forward to playing it!
 ;D ;D ;D

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 02:05:24 pm »
Hidetovtamer: Thanks! The translation's progressing well. I'm currently up to Grade 3, which I think is close to the halfway point of the game. Unlike with Tag Tamers, I'm translating all NPC dialogue before moving on to the next storyline section. It makes advancing through the game slower, but it should reduce the amount of time spent digging for new dialogue after the end.

Some new screenshots:

Video of the D-1 Tournament battles: [Link]

I'm also considering adding in a VWF, now that I've been able to add one to another Wonderswan game. The Hong Kong English version of Anode/Cathode Tamer uses one, and since that's built off of this game, there's a good chance I can port it over