News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Modded games and Game genie codes  (Read 868 times)

Volcannon

• View Profile
Modded games and Game genie codes
« on: November 24, 2020, 05:48:34 pm »
So for some reason or another, whenever I try adding codes for one of the games I am playing (for example, Phantasy Star IV Reparations), the money code seems to, work, while some others like casting techs or skills for free isn't working. Is this because of how the game is Modded?
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Modded games and Game genie codes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:41 pm »
Yes, it is entirely possible that modding a game could cause a Game Genie code to stop working.

If you are using an emulator, it should be easy to make a simple change in RAM if that's what you need.  For instance, if casting a skill causes a number somewhere to count down from 5 to 4, then you just search for all values that change from 5 to 4, and then search again when you change the value from 4 to 3, and so on, and then tell the emulator to hold whatever that value is at a constant.  Lots of emulators have functionality like that.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:25:30 pm »
Game Genie codes work by modifying ROM data: If routines and such were changed/moved around that would certainly break them.

As Jorpho suggested, modifying RAM will most likely the way to go (Even if routines and such are changed, chances are they'll still be manipulating the same data in RAM).

The Pro Action Replay targeted RAM unlike the Game Genie, so if you can find PAR codes for a game you don't even need to try and hunt down values/addresses in memory yourself (PAR codes are in a simple Address:Data format so even if an emulator doesn't support PAR codes per-se but still has an in built cheat capability you can figure out what to plug in).

*edit* Here are a ton of PAR codes for PSIV

Volcannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:55:24 pm »
Unfortunately, the codes say not valid when I try to look for the PAR version of them. Also note that I am using Retroarch if that means anything.

P.S. Source for my codes https://gamehacking.org/?game=15665
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:35:16 pm »
Unfortunately, the codes say not valid when I try to look for the PAR version of them. Also note that I am using Retroarch if that means anything.
As other users have stated correctly, game hacks/mods other move code and function addresses around which has the effect of rendering some GameGenie/ActionReplay code non-functional. With some trial & error, you might be able to figure out where those address location were moved to and recode the cheats as needed. This is simpler than you might imagine, but still takes critical thinking and time.

P.S. Source for my codes https://gamehacking.org/?game=15665
That's a good site. The UI is a bit messy but that can't be helped given the functionality of the site. I tend to lean towards;
http://www.bsfree.org/

Volcannon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 05:48:36 pm »
As my knowledge is pretty basic, I have no understanding on manipulating addresses on a direct level. Taking the trial and error path isn't something I am wanting to do. Tis a shame that there isn't a way to convert game genie to PAR.
It's Nerf or NOTHING!!!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »
Taking the trial and error path isn't something I am wanting to do.
Have you even tried it yet? This can take a matter of mere minutes and barely requires any programming knowledge.

Tis a shame that there isn't a way to convert game genie to PAR.
As has been noted, they are completely different things.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 04:36:00 am »
As my knowledge is pretty basic, I have no understanding on manipulating addresses on a direct level. Taking the trial and error path isn't something I am wanting to do. Tis a shame that there isn't a way to convert game genie to PAR.

I understand how intimidating computer code can be, but it's really not that hard. It takes a lot of concentration and some games (*cough*Chrono Trigger) can make it like beating your head against a wall, but if a doofer like me can do it, I can't imagine it being that hard for a beginner to learn.

Don't try it on the SNES version of Dragon Quest 1 though. Fair warning... the developers prepared for you to be hunting around in the RAM  ::)
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.