News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Video games make me happier??  (Read 2623 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Video games make me happier??
« on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:50 am »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/health/video-games-mental-health-study-wellness-scli-intl/index.html

Well, wow. I shudder to think of what my life without having gotten into video games may have been like. Gosh.

Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Video games make me happier??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:30:06 pm »
The research by the University of Oxford analyzed the effects of playing two popular video games: Nintendo's "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and Electronic Arts' "Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville."
What an absolutely bizarre choice.  It's like doing a study on Disney movies and selecting Frozen and the live-action Mulan.

I can think of exactly two possibilities: either the study received heavy funding from EA, or one of the researchers had fond memories of playing PvZ from ten years ago and was certain Battle for Neighborville had to be the same thing.  Not a good look for the researchers either way.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:32:36 pm »
What an absolutely bizarre choice.  It's like doing a study on Disney movies and selecting Frozen and the live-action Mulan.

I can think of exactly two possibilities: either the study received heavy funding from EA, or one of the researchers had fond memories of playing PvZ from ten years ago and was certain Battle for Neighborville had to be the same thing.  Not a good look for the researchers either way.

I'm unfamiliar with Battle for Neighborville, but I did notice that the sample size of game genres was extremely tiny and specific. I mean, I'm not entirely sure that playing Legend of Kage would make someone as happy as Animal Crossing.
Yamero~~!

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:34:04 pm »
Sociology and psychiatry studies are notoriously badly done most of the time, to the point where there's shit like the Replication Crisis happening.

Which is unfortunate, since one of the tenants of real science is replication of experimental results.

Of course escapism can help mental health. The trick is not to escape so deeply that it becomes a problem itself.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:28 pm »
Sociology and psychiatry studies are notoriously badly done most of the time, to the point where there's shit like the Replication Crisis happening.

Which is unfortunate, since one of the tenants of real science is replication of experimental results.

Of course escapism can help mental health. The trick is not to escape so deeply that it becomes a problem itself.

100% agreement. And that's coming from someone that fantasizes from time to time about monster hunting being a real career option.

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 08:01:59 am »
100% agreement. And that's coming from someone that fantasizes from time to time about monster hunting being a real career option.

I figured you just never see any monsters these days because of all the monster hunters out there.

StrongBe

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 03:28:49 pm »
Definitely yes. I am working almost 24/7, so I can afford myself to play some games for 2 hours/week. Whats wrong ? ..
Whats up. I am Christina,25 y old. Like to play and create/support to create games.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:40 am »
When I got into video games I was about eight years old, video games helped me cope with the bad childhood trauma I went through. I used to play arcades in a place in the 80's, during the crack epidemic, so my mom decided to buy me an NES for Christmas to get me outta that awful environment.

As I got older video games became a part of my life, I did have people gimme the Atari 2600 and the Coleco vision before the NES. Video games to me relives alotta stress when I'm going through something bad. So yeah, video games in my experience does make me happier, especially the retro games of my childhood.   

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:36:24 am »
I don't always have the attention span to play as much as I want (I have serious issues in that regard) but when everything clicks I can get "lost" in a game for the better part of a day. That experience is always so satisfying. It takes me out of whatever life drama or perceived life drama that is eating me at the time, stimulates my imagination and gives me a mild sense of accomplishment (and pride if I master something difficult). I'm also often inspired by video game music so it can even help me with regard to my "composer" ambitions.

I wish I could play as much as I want because I have a huge backlog of SNES and PS2 games that is taking forever to get through (not necessarily a bad thing, I guess). Have probably played less in the past year than any time in the past 30+ years (my gaming experience goes back to the 2600, Intellivision and NES) but that's more coincidence/circumstance than waning interest.

Thankfully, I was recently in the perfect frame of mind for some serious gaming and finally got around to playing King's Field - The Ancient City for PS2 (without a FAQ, mind you). I start a new game and say to myself "I'll just wander around a little bit and get a feel for the controls" and not 10 seconds into the game the ground suddenly gives way beneath my feet and I died. I burst into laughter and said to myself "Yep. This is the King's Field I remember from the PS1" but it looked 1000 times better (for real, look at KF I-III, as charming as they are). At that point I got super excited. It was funny how getting killed right out of the gate brought me a feeling of pure joy. The atmosphere was also very engrossing (a KF staple IMO). I was reminded of how much I really do enjoy gaming and it gave me a renewed appreciation for the activity.

Game on, folks. :)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 05:04:09 pm »
I'm thinking the former, because EA is really big people and would benefit from a study like this.  Even then it's still weird, because I would think that a sports game would be a better target due to how many copies tend to be purchased.  If they wanted a nostalgic game to study that angle it probably would've been another Nintendo title, and I assume they were looking at games a lot of people play.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 03:10:54 pm »
What is so great with (sufficiently good) games is that they give you a sense of immersion in a fictive world that is IMO deeper than any book, comic or movie. In that regards, it helps us to feel emotions that we wouldn't feel IRL, and have a more interesting life experience overall.

I think escaping reality somehow with games is very great as long as you made a reasonable consumtion. If you spend your time h24 on the same game day after day, there's probably a problem.

Oh and much of what SunGodPortal said applies to me as well. It is possible internet made our attention span shorter over the years unfortunately...

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 08:48:39 pm »
If you spend your time h24 on the same game day after day, there's probably a problem.

Va beh

But what if you're working on a mod for a game? Does that count as a problem?

RHDN being the solution, I guess? :D
Yamero~~!

Imposterrr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 11:14:13 am »
This is as easy as 2x2=4.Games allow a person to escape from reality where he is haunted by problems and responsibilities, the main thing is not to cross the line and not to forget that reality is more important)

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 03:16:26 am »
escapism comes up very often in this context, but i don't really believe this explanation is universally true. people can have various reasons and motivations to play their games, and you could just as well say that people read books or watch movies or go to the opera because they want to escape from their unbearable existence, while it could simply mean that they fancy feeling excited or want to experience something stimulating. and when you're enjoing one thing, it doesn't necessarily mean that you hate other stuff, so there's nothing wrong with that.

escapism can be a problem when you fail or deny to confront the reality, and yeah, there are some situations where people can go overboard with gaming too. there is some risk of addiction associated with online gaming, the social aspect is one part of it. also these things tend to be rigged as to manipulate you into spending more time (and $) online, using various psychological tricks. so yeah you might have a problem if you let yourself get sucked up in that.

but any odd thing can turn into a mania, if you're so predisposed. when things go wrong here, there's always some underlying condition or a problem, and there's certainly nothing specific to gaming alone. people can get addicted to all sorts of things, and one study shows (...)0.3% of gamers might experience problems controlling the time they spend playing video games.", so it doesn't seem like a considerable factor, however you choose to look at it. and the simple truth is games are roughly as addicting as good literature, taking walks in the moonlight or, say, horse-riding, if you're into that sort of thing (i'm not!).
WHO talking-heads lament gaming addiction is Asia, but these guys fail to consider gaming is a valid career choice, and all this 'addicted youth' is really doing is working on their qualifications.

anyway, most games i certainly wouldn't even think of escaping into, because their worlds are even harsher than the reality. is the world of Dark Souls a good place to escape to? quite the contrary. is the Sprawl from Dead Space a nice, safe place to live? nope. do i consider really becoming a Yakuza? not a chance lol. and a monster hunter? damn dirty, bloody, gory, stinking business, when you think what it really boils down to.
so games can be tiring, hard, merciless and nerve-wracking, even more so than real life at times. what kind of escape is that?

and maybe it's just me, but when i have real life problems, games are no longer so fun to play, and offer little consolation. conversely, i can really enjoy gaming to its fullest only when i'm relaxed and relatively care-free, so i can kick back and really immerse myself in a game.

so personally i would consider games a medium to project various thoughts and ideas so i can experience different situations, consider abstract scenarios, admire computer art, listen to kick-ass game music, and to challenge and test myself in a controlled environment. gaming is simply so stimulating on so many levels, at least that's how i feel about it. i guess i simply enjoy the medium, it's varied and interesting. games are also always at the frontlines of innovation in computer graphics and multimedia, and a big driving factor in the advancement of computers generally, so it's interesting to follow the tech.

and as far as guilty pleasures go, gaming is one of the least dangerous and harmful things one can actually do, so no complaints here either. well it's certainly better than, say, watching TV all day long, or reading social media. watching TV too much worsens your memory and can even lead to alzheimers. and social media is a blight upon humanity, that much is obvious by now. on the other hand, there are studies showing gray matter growth in gamers, and it shouldn't be surprising considering how gaming stimulates your brain. it's simply a good exercise for the mind. and it's fun!

so game on guys! :)

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 08:02:52 pm »
but these guys fail to consider gaming is a valid career choice, and all this 'addicted youth' is really doing is working on their qualifications.
Really now, that's like saying "professional gambler" is a valid career choice. The odds are about as good.

anyway, most games i certainly wouldn't even think of escaping into, because their worlds are even harsher than the reality. is the world of Dark Souls a good place to escape to? quite the contrary. is the Sprawl from Dead Space a nice, safe place to live? nope. do i consider really becoming a Yakuza? not a chance lol. and a monster hunter? damn dirty, bloody, gory, stinking business, when you think what it really boils down to.
so games can be tiring, hard, merciless and nerve-wracking, even more so than real life at times. what kind of escape is that?
They're worlds that present tangible problems with predictable outcomes and definitive solutions, even if you have to look those solutions up on GameFAQs sometimes. That is a wonderful thing compared to how reality often is.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 03:48:57 am »
Really now, that's like saying "professional gambler" is a valid career choice. The odds are about as good.
of course, i just brushed this thing off, because of my post being overly verbose as it was.
so sure they're being brainwashed and manipulated into gaming 'careers', but it's the same thing with sports and many other jobs really. out of 4.2 thousand people in college looking for a sports career, you have a single guy who makes it into professional sports. a kiddo who makes it into 'pro gamers' territory should be just as rare i'd guess. but you know, these millions of young people need to be doing 'something', don't they? and there really isn't any productive, useful work anymore that would need so many people. the alternative for gaming youth is rebellious youth, and nobody wants that. besides, why single out these innocent children and put their harmless gaming to shame? there are millions of lawyers in the world, all in various stages of mental instability (as you can 100% realistically see in the Ace Attorney series and its spinoffs, it's aaall true), and nobody puts 'lawyering addiction' into their imaginary lists of diseases.
They're worlds that present tangible problems with predictable outcomes and definitive solutions, even if you have to look those solutions up on GameFAQs sometimes. That is a wonderful thing compared to how reality often is.
yeah that's why i've mentioned 'controlled environment'. but it's the same thing with all media. can you read a book many times over and have unpredictable outcomes and solutions each and every time through? you can't, unless you happen to be reading through Cortazar's Hopscotch, or some other experimental stuff. same with movies, art and all, there's only so much that can happen during a session, it's just a slice of reality, a small bite. but life happens to consist of small chunks of things that happen to us, and there's nothing that would make a good book, or a game, less valuable than any other thing we experience. it's always in your own, subjective prerogative to judge what's important and what isn't, that's how it works. now the abstract stuff is where humans are really able to transcend the reality, more so than it's possible in the physical world. so why not cherish mind over matter, and acknowledge that not everything you do necessarily needs a practical application.

now, life is unpredictable because there are countless factors at play with every situation you can find yourself in. in addition there's an innate randomness that permeates the universe at its base level. you can learn to control it, to some extent, sift through the threads of chaos, but there's never a 100% chance on anything at all, and some things you can simply never predict. things happen to us and we happen to things, that's how it goes, and that's exactly what makes it special.

so yeah, in a sense gaming is much easier than living, because there are much fewer factors at play, and the random factor is severely limited by using the binary code (can quantum computing come to the rescue here?). and in the end, everything you're really interacting with is just your couch, your screen, and your controller.
but on the other hand, games can offer challenges (that are admittedly very abstract, limited in scope, and probably only marginally useful irl) possibly requiring much more than you'd normally need irl for tasks of comparable magnitude. these 'challenges' are way less 'important' than real life situations, and carry no material weight (real life has 'consequences', while games have none), but can happen to be 'technically' harder, requiring absolute concentration and split-second reflexes, or insane leaps of logic – things that are normally not required outside this field.
but the thing is, it doesn't really even need to be hard to make it worthwhile. some things are experienced just for the experience, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

and all this still doesn't necessarily mean i'm escaping daily routine or real life issues, or whatever. even if gaming makes me forget the bad stuff, at least for a while, it also makes me forget good stuff i guess, so it kinda evens out. but that's just what immersion is about i'd think. maybe forgetting things can be a desirable side effect here, but there's much more to it, and it certainly doesn't explain all. the main thing is, escaping into gaming simply doesn't work for me! and i don't do things that don't work for me, at least no more than a couple times, just to test things out. in real life game overs are absolute. gaming won't solve any real life problems, and problems left to fester always come back to bite me in the ass. so i've (reluctantly) learned to embrace whatever trials real life so ungraciously provides, however disagreeable they may be. yeah it's hard, but such is life, and it's still a valuable experience. the society persuades us that it's good to be always happy, but it's a lie, and the harsher the trial, the hotter the fires, the more desperate the situation, then that's what makes it matter, it's what makes us feel, it's what constitutes us, what tempers our characters. would i give all the pain away? this instant! but i can't, it's ingrained in life, so there's no point trying. the yearning, the longing, and this constant struggle, i embrace them then push them away, it's like a dance and i trip and fall, then dust myself off and go on. there's not much other choice really, and what little there is are only bad options anyway.
life comes in cycles and situations are eventually solved, one way or the other, though not always to our liking. whatever phase you're going through, it will end eventually, as do all things.
even my posts.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 05:54:02 pm »
of course, i just brushed this thing off, because of my post being overly verbose as it was.
so sure they're being brainwashed and manipulated into gaming 'careers', but it's the same thing with sports and many other jobs really. out of 4.2 thousand people in college looking for a sports career, you have a single guy who makes it into professional sports. a kiddo who makes it into 'pro gamers' territory should be just as rare i'd guess. but you know, these millions of young people need to be doing 'something', don't they? and there really isn't any productive, useful work anymore that would need so many people. the alternative for gaming youth is rebellious youth, and nobody wants that. besides, why single out these innocent children and put their harmless gaming to shame? there are millions of lawyers in the world, all in various stages of mental instability (as you can 100% realistically see in the Ace Attorney series and its spinoffs, it's aaall true), and nobody puts 'lawyering addiction' into their imaginary lists of diseases.
I absolutely agree that the importance of college athletics is grossly overemphasized. I might say that at least exercise is healthy, but the kind of training some of those people go through probably should not be encouraged.

And I have indeed read that there are a lot of people pursing costly law degrees who are probably never going to achieve sufficient financial success in law to pay off their loans.  But still, there are useful skills you can learn in such a pursuit that are readily transferable to other professions – structuring an argument or learning good grammar, for instance. I have difficulty imagining that there are a lot of skills you could develop in gaming that could be similarly transferable – some skills, yes, but not a lot.

Anyway, people used to say that there will always be a need for people in skilled trades. Not sure if that's still accurate.

But we're probably getting off-topic.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 02:49:42 am »
I absolutely agree that the importance of college athletics is grossly overemphasized. I might say that at least exercise is healthy, but the kind of training some of those people go through probably should not be encouraged.
yeah that depends on the discipline, but the average age of retirement for professional sportsmen is ~30 years... recreational exercise is great for you, but professional sports take a huge physical toll on these people, it's very demanding with constant pressure to break "the limits of human body", and there's really only so much a human body can take. they're basically being exploited and for what? for the screams of the crowd, and a place on the chart... and helluva $$$. but not for the 'performers', they're just expendables. maybe the best of the best earn a lot, yeah. for a while. but it's the organizers and the intermediaries who profit most, as always.
And I have indeed read that there are a lot of people pursing costly law degrees who are probably never going to achieve sufficient financial success in law to pay off their loans.
generally people still think that their choice of profession, and then their job careers, are a defining factor to their financial well-being. but the truth is you really can't make big money doing honest work anymore. even if you're a real pro, a valued 'expert' in your field, even if you have no life outside of work, you'll still have to bend your back or feel your financial obligations breathing up your neck.
financial independence, and real money, is made by speculating, by gaming the financial system, juggling money around, balancing assets. buy when the charts are down, sell when they're up... that's your financial success in this day and age. it's kinda sad, but you simply can't make real money without this. and these kind of skills don't depend on your profession, for even professional financial advisors can be just as clueless about market movements as your average guy (but they learn other tricks to help them even things out and come out clean anyway).
so you either have it in you to game up your finances, or you don't, and will spend your life working off the debts that you've taken for things that you don't need and don't really want anymore. or squandering your family fortunes, if you miraculously happened to be born into big wealth. so yeah, lawyers too can happen to live in poverty.
But still, there are useful skills you can learn in such a pursuit that are readily transferable to other professions – structuring an argument or learning good grammar, for instance.
I have difficulty imagining that there are a lot of skills you could develop in gaming that could be similarly transferable – some skills, yes, but not a lot.
sure games can offer tangible benefits. simulators of all kind are used to train professional pilots and drivers. armies train with their wargames. many games help develop your hand-eye coordination, a useful skill in many real situations. things like Civilization can serve as a modest entry point into the topic of geopolitics, if you have it in you to expand on these bare basics elsewhere. other games can point towards some important, or just interesting real-life topics you wouldn't know of otherwise. and the grammar, writing skills generally? i guess good, well-written VNs can help with that, to some extent. or things like Interactive Fiction. reading good prose generally helps you learn how to fit the words nicely together, or get to know new phrases, and all that. written word is just that, even if it's illustrated and somehow interactive.
and even things like Ace Attorney can potenially help you irl by training your attention to details. i sure find it easier to spot a contradiction now! also the, uh, hidden-object genre can train you to better locate things around the environment.. perhaps? and to pack your bags so everything fits nicely. :) inventory management in MMORPGs helps with that too haha. there are also some more or less experimental applications of gaming in the medical field, in mood therapy and trauma rehab. (aand also the doctors really do train on, ahem, Surgeon Simulator. true story, yep.)

so, generally speaking, there are some benefits of gaming if you care to look, but they can be subtle, intangible even. same with prose, music or, idk, solving crosswords. but there's a big difference here, because games are interdisciplinary media, so you have a mix of elements from various fields, so it's more stimulating this way. so even if, say, writing quality in your average VN is worse than what you'd normally expect with 'paper' writers, it can be accompanied by a great soundtrack or nice illustrations, so there's always something to go on with. maybe there's no 'concrete' skillset to gain here overall, but it will still make you grow somehow. and if you're keen on self-development, then every little thing can serve as a stepping stone.

but the point here is, there's really no need for all that anyway. not everything you do must necessarily result in gaining practical skills, not everything needs to have an aim and a purpose, and really not many things that we do in life have an aim or a purpose (or at least not a good one), if you think about it in a certain way. if you absolutely need a reason to do something, well just pick one! as with every situation, there are many reasons to choose from, all equally good or bad, depending on your current stance. and if you can't find a reason you like, then just pick one at random! that's what everybody does all the time anyway, even if they won't admit it. ;)

Anyway, people used to say that there will always be a need for people in skilled trades. Not sure if that's still accurate.
to an extent, sure. still the world doesn't need, say, hundreds of millions of plumbers. but people who are genuinely good at what they do, real pros, are always needed, regardless of the profession. well unless it's very niche or archaic, as some professions die off at some point because they're no longer relevant. but i'm of the belief that it's best to respec several times in your career anyway. varied skillset is the key to staying on top whichever way the wind blows, plus it makes things less boring overall.

But we're probably getting off-topic.

yeah, back on point, the games in the study are casual, fun and relaxing, so of course they'll make people happy. same as their nights out or whatever else makes them chill. looks like, ahem, science is taking the side of simple common sense here, which is a refreshing turn of events when you consider things like e.g. modern physics.

so, is my life better because of games? because that's roughly what all this translates to. well it certainly isn't worse, that's for sure! i don't know how it would and why, because games are pretty harmless unless you really, really go overboard, but it's the same with everything else, and there's nothing extraordinary with gaming that would make it stand out here.
i guess the main thing for me, like personally, is that gaming makes things more 'interesting', in a way, than they would be otherwise. there's lots of cool stuff, especially with all the indies abound. i'm having fun even if it takes wading through the mud to fish out the pearls, but it's like we were in the '90s again, only there's even more of everything this time around.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 07:50:48 pm »
Anyway, I came across this link today (browsing through George Fan's old twitter, to be precise) regarding what is apparently a different 2019 study performed by different people that did, in fact, use the original Plants vs Zombies, despite that being a very old game at the time.  (It was about combining games with antidepressants.)

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/G4H.2019.0032

So, maybe the people behind this new study were indeed woefully misguided and not just being blatantly paid off by EA to promote their latest new game that no one seems to care about.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:56:01 pm by Jorpho »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 09:32:42 pm »
most games i certainly wouldn't even think of escaping into, because their worlds are even harsher than the reality.

Everybody gangster until you put the Master Sword in their hands...

I wouldn't trade one second of my real life for a lifetime in any of these game worlds. Everything is trying to kill you and everyone who's not is yelling at you to do stuff or the world is gonna vanish, so uh

I'd probably choke on my corn flakes and die in such a world, I'm a doughy old fat guy :D hah
Yamero~~!