News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Prodeus

Started by Sliver X, November 15, 2020, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sliver X

My SO was asking if I knew where to find some old Xbox 360 era games (Overlord I and II). I figured they would be cheap on GoG, and they were, but while I was there getting them I noticed a game called "Prodeus" was featured.

Initially I was going to pass since I saw it was in Early Access but GoG will let you do a no-questions-asked refund within 14 days for a game in that status, so I figured what the hell.

It's kind of amazing. This feels more like what the follow up to Doom (2016) should have been rather than the cartoonish and laden with stupid/boring/unneeded "lore" game Doom Eternal turned out to be.

It's presented as a "retro" FPS but makes use of lighting effects that have only really been around for the past 12 years or so. Textures are unfiltered and objects/enemies are sprites but you can toggle monsters to use decent looking 3D models instead. You can also emulate the old VGA Mode 13h (320x200) and Mode X (320x240) with scanlines or a CRT effect if desired. While the graphics are chunky the lighting and such looks really good: With all the rendering settings on maximum it brought my machine running a GeForce 750 Ti to a crawl.

The level design is interesting: Each level manages to feel distinctly memorable and there's thankfully not many key hunts from what I've seen so far. I'm not really sure what the story is really about, and to be honest I don't care: The places you go through feel genuinely disquieting at points: Almost like Quake 4 if Strogoss was sucked into Hell. Also your character's face doesn't look rather... pleasant on the HUD. I get the feeling I may not necessarily be a good person?
The music is decent thrash/death metal sounding guitar riffs coupled with moody ambient sounds in between fights. Not bad if you're into that sort of thing.

Gameplay-wise it feels like a hybrid of Painkiller, Doom 1/2, Doom 2016 and Quake 4. Tons of ammo, tons of weapons and hordes of things constantly attacking you. On normal difficulty it seems too easy at first but it rapidly starts increasing in difficulty. My only real gripe is that I can't find a way to manually save, though the game uses a checkpoint system that basically lets you respawn indefinitely (At least on normal difficulty?).

Apparently the devs released the same level editor that was used in the game's development and people have already made dozens of maps that can be downloaded through the game (Though you have to make an account, which sucks). Some of them are incredibly impressive giving how recent the game is. Makes you wonder what Doom 2016 or Eternal could have had produced by the map making communities if Bethesda hadn't decided to limit map design to the abominable Snap-Map.

I guess more episodes are going to come out, but I'm about 3 hours into it and haven't gotten halfway through the one that's there yet, so I guess it may be around an 8-10 experience so far? Not counting all the other maps, of course.

I highly recommend giving it a try if you like FPS games, modern or retro. Though it is $25. Totally worth that in my opinion and I typically pirate the everloving shit out of games.

Googie

Hey Boss, I just finished watching this video on the game and I'm gonna make sure I get it in two weeks when I get paid. :)

SleepyFist

I saw some reviews the other day, looks like fun, I haven't exactly jumped on the retro FPS bandwagon yet but there's a ton of these that I really need to pick up.

Sliver X

I thought Dusk was really fun too (Basically a Quake 1 clone), but then again I play actual retro FPS games all the time*.

*This year alone I've played several user-made Blood episodes, Marathon I & II, Quake - Arcane Dimensions, Spear of Destiny, Doom 1, Doom 64, Unreal, Ion Fury, Blake Stone - Planet Strike and Catacomb Abyss. So I'm probably not your typical video game player.