News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: How do I make tiles animated in Super Mario Bros. (NES)?  (Read 880 times)

Ladondorf

• View Profile
How do I make tiles animated in Super Mario Bros. (NES)?
« on: October 28, 2020, 01:10:39 pm »
I've seen several ROM Hacks of Super Mario Bros. where the background tiles are animated, like in Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3. How can I do this? Are there any existing utilities or guides that can help me?

I've also considered downloading an existing ROM Hack that has animated backgrounds and working off of that, but the only ones I can find also alter the levels, the HUD, or Mario's physics. If anyone could point me to a Mario 1 Hack that only changes the tiles and/or makes them animated, that would be great!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 03:51:59 pm by Ladondorf »

ThroughT1m3

• View Profile
Re: How do I make tiles animated in Super Mario Bros. (NES)?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »
  One way is looking into expanding the rom and learning assembly to add the necessary animation your looking for. SMB is notoriously slim on space. There is a patch for the animation but I do not have it. I had it years ago but lost it. But by expanding the rom or using the patch it will most likely make your game useless in most SMB utilities. About using someone else work, not sure how others would feel about that. If you dont know assembly I would take the time to learn.
 Over time you will be much happier with your work.         

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make tiles animated in Super Mario Bros. (NES)?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 01:45:17 pm »
A common and easy way to animate background tiles is to switch tile banks containing different tiles back and forth every n frames.

Since SMB mapper doesn't support bank switching, you need to hack it to another mapper first (MMC3 for example) or find an existing mapper hack.

Info about mappers is here
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Mapper

MMC3 = 004, NROM-256 (SMB mapper) = 000.