News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Video games make me happier??  (Read 1008 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Video games make me happier??
« on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:50 am »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/health/video-games-mental-health-study-wellness-scli-intl/index.html

Well, wow. I shudder to think of what my life without having gotten into video games may have been like. Gosh.

I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Video games make me happier??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:30:06 pm »
The research by the University of Oxford analyzed the effects of playing two popular video games: Nintendo's "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and Electronic Arts' "Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville."
What an absolutely bizarre choice.  It's like doing a study on Disney movies and selecting Frozen and the live-action Mulan.

I can think of exactly two possibilities: either the study received heavy funding from EA, or one of the researchers had fond memories of playing PvZ from ten years ago and was certain Battle for Neighborville had to be the same thing.  Not a good look for the researchers either way.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:32:36 pm »
What an absolutely bizarre choice.  It's like doing a study on Disney movies and selecting Frozen and the live-action Mulan.

I can think of exactly two possibilities: either the study received heavy funding from EA, or one of the researchers had fond memories of playing PvZ from ten years ago and was certain Battle for Neighborville had to be the same thing.  Not a good look for the researchers either way.

I'm unfamiliar with Battle for Neighborville, but I did notice that the sample size of game genres was extremely tiny and specific. I mean, I'm not entirely sure that playing Legend of Kage would make someone as happy as Animal Crossing.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:34:04 pm »
Sociology and psychiatry studies are notoriously badly done most of the time, to the point where there's shit like the Replication Crisis happening.

Which is unfortunate, since one of the tenants of real science is replication of experimental results.

Of course escapism can help mental health. The trick is not to escape so deeply that it becomes a problem itself.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:28 pm »
Sociology and psychiatry studies are notoriously badly done most of the time, to the point where there's shit like the Replication Crisis happening.

Which is unfortunate, since one of the tenants of real science is replication of experimental results.

Of course escapism can help mental health. The trick is not to escape so deeply that it becomes a problem itself.

100% agreement. And that's coming from someone that fantasizes from time to time about monster hunting being a real career option.

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 08:01:59 am »
100% agreement. And that's coming from someone that fantasizes from time to time about monster hunting being a real career option.

I figured you just never see any monsters these days because of all the monster hunters out there.