News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Castlevania II Belmont's revenge GBC  (Read 5975 times)

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Re: Castlevania II Belmont's revenge GBC
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 07:08:41 pm »
Crystal works!  At first applying the fix broke Shantae, but there's a workaround in place for it.  I hope it didn't break anything else... that leaves the Donkey Kong Land hack.

https://github.com/EvilJagaGenius/jagoombacolor/releases/tag/v0.3

Many thanks, Minucce!

Thread was nice to read

Hey someone polite, that's nice :D

I do not recall a time in my life where I sat down and said "I'm beating Belmont's Revenge." I get that it's a lot better than the first GB game but I've never felt like CV was suited to the GB. This got fixed (obviously) with Circle of the Moon and so forth. CV has been quite popular on portables since then.

But this earlier era of portable CV has always been a hard pass for me...it's like Sugarless Gum, idk how else to put it.

To be completely honest, I haven't played the GB Castlevanias.  I've been meaning to get to a spree of 8-bit gaming, to see the origins of all these series - my tool of choice for that is my GBA.  So hopefully this'll help whenever I do get around to Belmont's Revenge, hoping it helps other people too.  Circle of the Moon's fantastic though, especially with the Card Mode hack.

minucce

• Here today, Gone tomorrow?
    • View Profile
Re: Castlevania II Belmont's revenge GBC
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 09:16:59 pm »
For normal dma, all games should go through cycle stealing process (to simulate correct vblank times).

For hdma, we're supposed to steal cycles also but I wouldn't know how much (probably not important).

Shantae updates sprites during hblank, which is smart way to use hdma. Double speed hdma transfers 32 bytes; single mode copies 16 bytes.

-- This is where Shantae likely broke down. It's 2x speed game.

EDIT: I will be moving Goomba discussion to
https://github.com/EvilJagaGenius/jagoombacolor

Sorry about that!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 11:08:49 pm by minucce »