News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translation Font FIre emblem 1 NES (Doubt)  (Read 613 times)

Edgyjuicyfrommybruhdonkey

• View Profile
Translation Font FIre emblem 1 NES (Doubt)
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:55:38 am »
So I started trying to make a Spanish translation for Fire emblem Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken and to try to save text space I made the font two character long (As in AN,TU,PO,DA, you get the idea), but I ran out of Japanese characters to change so I started changing unused sprites too since they aren't used in game.

But I found myself on trouble. Apparently the different PPU screens on the emulator show the same addresses so that means I wouldn't be able to use sprites from different PPU screens at the same time to make the text.

Is there any way around this? Or I screwed up hard and next time I should only replace the Japanese characters?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translation Font FIre emblem 1 NES (Doubt)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 10:54:06 pm »
The two Fire Emblem games used a mapper that is designed to effectively mid-scanline swap automatically between the playfield "sprites" and the font when tiles FD (left window border) and FE (right window border) are drawn.
It is pretty much a feature unique to the MMC2/MMC4 and the combined four games used, so probably emulator tilemap viewers don't bother to emulate this feature accurately. But just know that no, the CHR-ROM page with the font is the only one accessible for your text.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Edgyjuicyfrommybruhdonkey

• View Profile
Re: Translation Font FIre emblem 1 NES (Doubt)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 11:25:45 pm »
@KingMike

That's unfortunate. Guess I'll have to get more creative to make the text fit.

Thanks for the help anyways.