News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a way other than Apache 3 to re-insert edited files into a PS2 ISO?  (Read 1266 times)

ReddMcKnight

• View Profile
The subject says it all, but for a little more detail, I got the files out of the ISO using Apache 3 and edited them, but when trying to re-insert them, Apache 3 just hangs, then closes by itself. Hence my question, is there another way to get them back into the ISO?

FAST6191

• View Profile
I thought you were trying to edit PS2 isos with a web server for a second there.

Anyway barring the stuff that has raw reads in it to make life fun (mostly music on Square Enix games) the PS2 iso format is little more than the standard DVD iso format, can't remember what sub types/restrictions offhand but if you are editing an existing file rather than making a whole new one then that should be fine. Anything that then edits such things should be viable here.

What there is in the free and open source world for such hobbies is a different matter though. I did look a few years ago (well into blu ray being a thing, PS4 also being around) and came up short (plenty of reading and burning, not much insertion) so you will probably have to source a copy of one of the various "every iso - we read/edit/burn/mount it" tools if that one is not up to task. PS2 emulation and modding options have since got a fair bit better so you might find something someone made, though a casual scan just now says nothing fun like the PSP's UMDgen or the various tools we see on other platforms.

Risae

• View Profile
Hi ReddMcKnight,

since i'm actively working on an PS2 translation, i have some experience with patching a PS2 ISO.
I can recommend you 2 ways on how to patch an ISO:

1. Xpert: https://growlanser6english.blogspot.com/2019/03/growlanser-6-unpack-iso.html

2. Apache2: https://growlanser6english.blogspot.com/2020/04/game-patching-now-actually-user.html

Difference: With Xpert you can insert bigger files and rebuild the ISO, with Apache2 you can only switch our files that have the same file size.
Let me know if you have any questions!

ReddMcKnight

• View Profile
I thought you were trying to edit PS2 isos with a web server for a second there.

Anyway barring the stuff that has raw reads in it to make life fun (mostly music on Square Enix games) the PS2 iso format is little more than the standard DVD iso format, can't remember what sub types/restrictions offhand but if you are editing an existing file rather than making a whole new one then that should be fine. Anything that then edits such things should be viable here.

What there is in the free and open source world for such hobbies is a different matter though. I did look a few years ago (well into blu ray being a thing, PS4 also being around) and came up short (plenty of reading and burning, not much insertion) so you will probably have to source a copy of one of the various "every iso - we read/edit/burn/mount it" tools if that one is not up to task. PS2 emulation and modding options have since got a fair bit better so you might find something someone made, though a casual scan just now says nothing fun like the PSP's UMDgen or the various tools we see on other platforms.

Not really sure I understand any of that. Can you elaborate a little more? Sorry, I'm very new at this.

Hi ReddMcKnight,

since i'm actively working on an PS2 translation, i have some experience with patching a PS2 ISO.
I can recommend you 2 ways on how to patch an ISO:

1. Xpert: https://growlanser6english.blogspot.com/2019/03/growlanser-6-unpack-iso.html

2. Apache2: https://growlanser6english.blogspot.com/2020/04/game-patching-now-actually-user.html

Difference: With Xpert you can insert bigger files and rebuild the ISO, with Apache2 you can only switch our files that have the same file size.
Let me know if you have any questions!

If I rebuild with Xpert (since the files sizes did change), will it only work via Emulation because of that, or will it still function on an actual PS2? What's weird is, the file size shouldn't have changed because I kept the strings of text the same length, but Apache 3 swears it did.

Risae

• View Profile
If I rebuild with Xpert (since the files sizes did change), will it only work via Emulation because of that, or will it still function on an actual PS2? What's weird is, the file size shouldn't have changed because I kept the strings of text the same length, but Apache 3 swears it did.

It will work in an emulator, since it will automaticly update the LBA of the ISO.
I can't comment on usability on an actual PS2, since i couldn't test that myself, but i don't believe that there should be any issue with using the rebuild ISO on a real PS2.
If your modified file is not bigger than the original, i recommend using Apache2 (not 3) to hot-swap the files in side the ISO.

FMecha

• View Profile
Does UltraISO work? I've used it to add/change music in WWE SmackDown! Shut Your Mouth.