News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Zelda: Remastered (Mesen HD Pack)

Started by Aclectico, October 10, 2020, 10:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aclectico

#140
Quote from: Frankbel on January 09, 2022, 05:33:15 AM
Wonderful work!
I would like to try this on my Switch.
I have tried default mesen core on the retroarch for switch with no luck. The hd pack is not loaded. Perhaps it is a matter of the mesen core.
However, compiling a custom mesen core using MK Wong's fork of mesen is a hard task for me.
I would be grateful if someone could provide such a core for Switch retroarch suite. Thanks!

If you extract Mesen from here: https://github.com/mkwong98/Mesen/releases, there should be a mesen_libretro.dll file bundled with the Mesen.exe file. You should be able to use the .dll file with Retroarch.

With that said, you will likely have results similar to the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcCh8iIRUfs

Unfortunately, the Switch CPU can't keep up with the Mesen core while running intensive Enhancement Packs from what I've seen.

M45tr

I'm having the same issue with the hearts not displaying properly. The color changes everytime I go to the next frame and uses colors from that frame. I'm using RetroArch on my ROG 3 phone. Other than that, everything seems to work fine so far. I'm guessing it's a glitch in the ips. Let me know if there's a solution.

August40th

Really cool, would any devs involved be interested in providing support for Fred Coighlin's Randomizer ???

Specifically there is a fun option for randomly shaped dungeons that doesn't work with this pack

Aclectico

Quote from: M45tr on January 21, 2022, 11:54:50 PM
I'm having the same issue with the hearts not displaying properly. The color changes everytime I go to the next frame and uses colors from that frame. I'm using RetroArch on my ROG 3 phone. Other than that, everything seems to work fine so far. I'm guessing it's a glitch in the ips. Let me know if there's a solution.

Sorry - just saw this comment recently. Yes, I would agree that hearts not displaying correctly is usually an indicator of an ips issue. Did you make any manual adjustments to your ROM or the bundled .ips file? Since Mesen auto-patches the bundled .ips file, no manual adjustments or patching to the vanilla ROM should be necessary. The pack must be used with a vanilla USA Zelda ROM (PRG0) that has a SHA-1 checksum of DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2. Otherwise, it will likely have issues.

M45tr

Works fine on my PC with the "old" mesen that takes a little to load. I didn't do any manual changes to the original ROM. I'm using a newer mesen that's found in Retro Arch on my phone. And I simply made a folder for the hd pack. It works, it's only the hearts display, and it's only the first 3 hearts. It takes the color of the background and it changes, depending on the frame I'm in.

ritpop

Hi, beautiful arts!
I have a fan game project and I would like to know if I could use these tiles. obviously you (and everyone mentioned in the license that comes in the file) would be credited .

Aclectico

#146
Quote from: M45tr on April 05, 2022, 10:42:04 AM
Works fine on my PC with the "old" mesen that takes a little to load. I didn't do any manual changes to the original ROM. I'm using a newer mesen that's found in Retro Arch on my phone. And I simply made a folder for the hd pack. It works, it's only the hearts display, and it's only the first 3 hearts. It takes the color of the background and it changes, depending on the frame I'm in.

Sorry, I'm not sure on this one. If you are saying it works with the standalone version but not the Retroarch version, I'm not sure what the issue may be. I last tested Retroarch and the standalone version a few months back. The only major difference I've encountered at the time had to do with performance (the standalone version seemed to run faster). Maybe a bug was introduced recently with the Mesen Retroarch core that requires fixing.

Quote
Hi, beautiful arts!
I have a fan game project and I would like to know if I could use these tiles. obviously you (and everyone mentioned in the license that comes in the file) would be credited .

I don't mind if you use anything on my end. With that said, as you indicated, many of the assets in this pack are borrowed (and often modified) from other projects. Because of that, it would probably be best to reach out to the individual creators listed in the credits section for permission if there is a fan project asset in particular you would like to use. When first putting together everything for this pack, every fan project author that I reached out to was very receptive to the idea of sharing their work. I never came across anyone that flat out said no. With that said, it's still probably best not to assume that receptiveness to one project guarantees that a creator would always feel the same way about another project.

If there is something that you would like to use, and the source it not clear from the credits section, feel free to let me know.

ritpop

Oh I see. Thank you for your reply, I will try to get in touch with the credited ones.

Newtype

#148
Thank you for this HD Pack. It looks amazing!

I have an issue though: the audio is bugged, at least for some sounds.
Basically, you can hear a buzzing sound at the end of a lot of sounds. Some examples are:



  • When you're entering your name at the character creation screen.
  • When you pick up Rupees.
  • When a Key or a Fairy appears.

With the Default sound pack, it's slightly noticeable, but if you try the 8-bit sound pack, then you really notice it. If I play the game without the HD Pack, there are no audio issues. The buzzing sound isn't present in the .ogg files either.

I also found a video on YouTube of someone playing and you can hear the buzzing sound in it. Listen carefully in the character creation screen: https://youtu.be/RBbdR5X9ToQ?t=10

I'm using:
The latest version of mkwong98's Mesen (March 20th).
PRG0 Zelda rom with SHA1: DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2.

Aclectico

#149
Yes, I have noticed this as well. The subtle buzz has been an issue that I have never completely figured out. In fact, it's present in other packs I have created as well (like the Metroid pack). I've tried adjusting volume, pitch, and have tried various other changes to the .ogg files. But, changes to the actual sound files seem to have only minor effects. The item room theme in the Metroid pack is another area where you may also notice it. I'm not sure if it's a performance issue, an emulator issue, or something else. But, if anyone figured out the root cause, I'd be very interested to know.

Newtype

#150
Quote from: Aclectico on April 30, 2022, 09:22:13 AM
Yes, I have noticed this as well. The subtle buzz has been an issue that I have never completely figured out. In fact, it's present in other packs I have created as well (like the Metroid pack). I've tried adjusting volume, pitch, and have tried various other changes to the .ogg files. But, changes to the actual sound files seem to have only minor effects. The item room theme in the Metroid pack is another area where you may also notice it. I'm not sure if it's a performance issue, an emulator issue, or something else. But, if anyone figured out the root cause, I'd be very interested to know.

Do you know if this was a bug that also happened with the Mesen developmental build that is no longer available?

May 01, 2022, 02:10:45 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I spent some time trying to find what the problem is, but I couldn't find it. I made new .ogg files and it changed nothing. I also tried the HdPack in Retroarch and the buzzing sound was present. I don't know what else to do at this point.

I did discover something interesting though. If you play the game without the HdPack and crank up your volume, if you go in the character creation screen and select letters, you won't hear the exact same buzzing sound, but you'll hear a weird sound after every sound effect. Also, I tried running the game in two other emulator cores and that same sound was also present. I'm pretty sure this sound is the reason for the buzzing sound when the HdPack is being used.

I do not own a NES, but I'd be really interested to know if that sound is present on original hardware.

Aclectico

#151
Quote from: Newtype on April 30, 2022, 02:03:20 PM
Do you know if this was a bug that also happened with the Mesen developmental build that is no longer available?

On my end, I have always noticed a subtle buzz depending on the specific .ogg file used for as long as I have been adding custom audio to packs (back to Mesen 0.9.6). And, the buzz is never present in the actual audio file. It's usually so faint that many probably don't even notice it. But, once you hear it in a couple of areas, it's hard to un-hear

Canadian_Husband

Hey folks, is there any possiblity of updating this pack to support newer versions of Mesen?

Working: Mesen 0.9.9 210808, no audio or visual glitches, hearts work
Broken: Mesen 0.9.9 211221, visual glitches, hearts show previous screen - empty hearts partially work, player character animation gets stuck after being hit
Broken: Mesen 0.9.9 220321, visual glitches, hearts show previous screen - empty hearts partially work, player character animation gets stuck after being hit

Unfortunately, the new Metroid HD pack requires 211221+, which means I have to update my entire arcade.

Zelda is incredible in HD, and still playable. Just don't get hit. If you do, keep your hearts up so you still shoot your sword beams  ;) :laugh:!

Thank you for all of your hard work on this pack, amazing work!


A fellow fan,

Canadian Husband

Aclectico

Quote from: Canadian_Husband on June 21, 2022, 03:55:21 PM
Hey folks, is there any possiblity of updating this pack to support newer versions of Mesen?

Working: Mesen 0.9.9 210808, no audio or visual glitches, hearts work
Broken: Mesen 0.9.9 211221, visual glitches, hearts show previous screen - empty hearts partially work, player character animation gets stuck after being hit
Broken: Mesen 0.9.9 220321, visual glitches, hearts show previous screen - empty hearts partially work, player character animation gets stuck after being hit

Unfortunately, the new Metroid HD pack requires 211221+, which means I have to update my entire arcade.

Zelda is incredible in HD, and still playable. Just don't get hit. If you do, keep your hearts up so you still shoot your sword beams  ;) :laugh:!

Thank you for all of your hard work on this pack, amazing work!


A fellow fan,

Canadian Husband

Glad you enjoy the pack.

I did have a hard time replicating the glitches you mentioned for Zelda. Below is a screenshot generated from version 0.9.9-220614 (the latest version from mkwong98). Have you verified your checksum (should be DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2) and have you tried the latest release?


KamiKaze-SP

It would be nice to be able to have these Mesen emulator tools in a Super Nintendo emulator, I could restore the DSK, DSK2 and DSK 3 franchise in HD...